“Total Disappointment - Uninterested Front Desk”

Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #104 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 16 October 2017

After a long flight to Europe the last thing that you need is a disappointment at your hotel; especially if you are a Platinum member who supports the Accor brand.

On arrival we checked the address with our driver as this was far from "Amsterdam City" - a very long way out adjacent to a business park.

I will not bore you with details; however we found the "new" room provided in B Tower was nice and new but so small we could not open suitcases without putting them on the bed; the bathroom was "cassette" style - similar to an Ibis Budget hotel.

We changed rooms easily enough, however the older room in A Tower hadn't been finalised from a cleaning perspective - the bathroom had remnants of the guests before us; the bedroom was set up with the lounge rolled out as a second double bed (?) and the main bed came equipped with a torn top sheet. All very impressive at 10PM at night.

So there was no welcome drink, no bottled water and when we questioned the situation we were basically shrugged at the next morning! The attitude was basically "bad luck - tell someone who cares!"

The whole situation was saved by the great bar staff who were incredibly professional - quite amazing and from our perspective saved the whole stay!

The food was good - but be prepared for large numbers of guests at breakfast sittings.

In over 5 years this was perhaps the worst Accor experience that I have had and we stay up to 60 nights a year. Primarily the young front counter staff are quite short on delivering hospitality; we felt shrugged off rather than engaged; however this is more a management issue than a Mercure brand problem.

We hope that the rest of our European stays with Mercure Hotels does not go the same way as this stay did!

Room Tip: Book a "Privilege" floor room and perhaps avoid being disappointed with a very small stand...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IanW-QLD

Reviewed 16 October 2017

Booked this hotel after I entered the Amsterdam marathon quite late, and this was the only hotel left near the Olympic stadium that wasn't charging a fortune.
What a pleasant surprise this hotel turned out to be. Really handy for everything as it's on the metro line, so we were able to get from the airport, and to the Olympic stadium really easily.
The hotel itself is lovely. The rooms clean and comfortable, with black out curtain and comfortable bed, not too hard.
They did a pasta buffet the night before the race. We thought we should be more adventurous and head out, but after having a look in the restaurant decided to eat there. The food was great, exactly what we wanted. Obviously not anything fancy, but good simple food that was tasty and a good price, much better quality than I was expecting from a restaurant in a mecure hotel.
At breakfast there was a really large buffet, unfortunately no porridge, but I had bought my own, and without hesitation the wonderful staff rushed off to the kitchen and the chef cooked it for me. Terrific service.
The reception area and large bar area are very nice, and there is a well stocked shop that sells everything from microwave meals (microwave there as well) to wine, beer, soft drinks cakes etc, really convenient.
Overall this hotel was so much better than I imagined it to be. I've not stayed at a mecure hotel for a very long time and I certainly don't remember them being this good.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
RenskevanHoof, Management Assistent at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Bridget,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by our hotel and staff. Hopefully we will see you again for the next Amsterdam Marathon?

Sincerely
Laura Heeringa
Management Asstistant.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

This is overall a great hotel, the rooms are very nice, good size, service was fantastic and staff very friendly and helpful.
The Mercure is walking distance close to a metro stop, which makes it easy to move to/from the center of town. This also provides an easy access to Amsterdam Centraal and the airport.
This hotel is similar in price to lower quality hotels closer to the city, this and access to public transportation aided in my decision to stay here.
The only negative is that public transportation does not run 24 hrs, so at a certain point you have to plan your way back from the city.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
RenskevanHoof, Management Assistant at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We, as team of Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, are glad to hear you have had a pleasant stay with us and hope to welcome you to our hotel again soon!

Renske van Hoof

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for one night on business. The hotel common areas look like they have been recently refurbished to a high standard giving the hotel a really contemporary feel. Check in was easy (although just behind me a tourist coach had just unloaded so I'm glad I was in the queue before them as there was only one desk option at reception). My room was on the 12th floor and was comfortable. The room could have probably done with being refurbished however there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and I slept really well. I ate in the hotel restaurant for dinner. The staff were really helpful and friendly. I had a burger which in itself was underwhelming however the chips it came with were AMAZING!! I didn't have breakfast so I can't say how that was. Overall I would stay here again as it's a solid hotel with great staff in a great location especially for the Amsterdam Arena.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
RenskevanHoof, Management Assistant at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Mr. Clarksboy,

Thank you for leaving us such a enthusiastic review on your stay in Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City. We will forward your comments to the employees involved as it will motivate them to keep up the good work.

Renske van Hoof
Management Assistant

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

Generally ok hotels, far from the city center but close to rai. Metro is a 5 minute walk. Generally the service was good in check in and ok in breakfast although it was very crowded. The rooms are a bit worn and no slippers in the room is a huge minus for a business hotel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business