“Very comfortable”

Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City
Ranked #103 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Staying here for the weekend with colleagues, but I'll keep this hotel in mind for another time. It is a modern hotel, quite large and next to a huge highway, but on the 14th floor, the noise is not troubling. The view is excellent, however. The room is clean and quite large, the staff is friendly and efficient, breakfast is very good. The juice is fresh - that is something of a deciding point with me. But the best thing about the place is that you can rent bicycles. They are in great condition and easily adjusted to the length of your legs. A bicycle is certainly the best way of getting around Amsterdam with its narrow streets. As long as the weather is reasonable.

Room Tip: If you are not afraid of heights, go for a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
WBvO, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Your feedback is very important to us as we try to improve our services every day.

Our location next to the highway is most of time a deciding point for our guest. The easy access, close to the city centre and the Amsterdam Rai makes this a perfect location.

I am also delighted to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast. It is in my opinion one of the best breakfast buffets in Amsterdam. The wide variety of products, whole bean ground coffee and our real freshly squeezed orange juice makes the difference with our guests.

I will share your comment with my team, who will be delighted to hear that yet another guest left our hotel satisfied.

I hope to welcome you soon in our hotel again and again thank you!

With the kindest regards,

Willem Bleuland van Oordt

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stayed here mid April for a conference. I was surprised at how good this hotel was.

Getting there:
It's out of Amsterdam centre and not a good idea to stay here if you want to use taxis - €40 from the airport (don't get conned - insist on the €40 route!) and about €20 to the centre. But if you want to use public transport it's about 7 mins to the tram and 10 mins to the train then less than €3 and 15 mins into town.

Bedroom: Not sure if mine was standard or not but the large bed was very comfortable, room temperature fine, and very quiet. Best first night sleep in a hotel in ages.

Food:
Bar food was expensive but OK. Breakfast very good.

Other:
Reception bit slow on check-in but this was probably due to bad timing - lots of people at the same time. Elevators slow. Conference facilities very good.

2  Thank BarcaBloke
WBvO, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear sir / madam,

Thank you for your positive feedback of your stay. It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests who enjoyed their stay.

It is good to hear that your room was up to your expectations. For your next stay at the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel I can recommend you a privilege room for only €30,- more. The extra services will make your stay even more comfortable and relaxing.

Next to that we are aware of the slow elevators. At this point a general maintenance is scheduled to improve the performance of the elevators and assure that our guests will not experience inconvenience any more.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our bar food but especially our breakfast. It is in my opinion one of the best breakfast buffets in Amsterdam. The wide variety of products, whole bean ground coffee and our real freshly squeezed orange juice makes the different with our guests.

I hope to welcome you again in our hotel and thank you for choosing the Mercure Hotel Amsterdam aan de Amstel.

With the kindest regards,

Reviewed 26 April 2012

2 nights here on business, room was spacious and basic, very quiet even though right by the road. Good meeting rooms; nice bar food with good beer. Gym is very poor but plenty of tracks to run along the rivers.

2  Thank Big_Shug
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My wife and her sister and her husband traveled from the US to Scotland. We then traveled to the Netherlands. We flew into the Amsterdam airport. A taxi then took us (10 minute ride) to the Mercure hotel where we had reservations. The hotel was excellent. Great room. Reception was the best. Any questions were answered promptly. People were very nice. Great food.
The hotel was located along the Amstel river. It was a short and lovely walk into town. The best way to get around town was by streetcar, It rained all of the time but it was a nice rain. Very beautiful town. We had a great time. Hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: I think it best to inquire at the hotel to get the kind of room you want. They are more than willin...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hobocat
WBvO, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Sir / Madam,

First off al I would like to thank you for your feedback. It enlightens me to hear from guests who enjoyed their stay with us. Every day we strive to go beyond the point of expectations of our guests. In your case I believe we succeeded.

I will share your comment to my staff who will be delighted to hear of your great experience. A nice alternative for walking around in the city is hiring a Vespa at our hotel. This means of transportations allows you to see more of the city.

Thank you again for staying at our hotel and we hope to welcome you again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2012

The room was quite small but okay as well as the breakfast. But what really ruined my stay was the lunch in the bar (the restaurant was taken by a group). At first the service was okay but when I got my pork and was asked if the food was okay I dared to say no. The meat was only a piece of fat, maybe one forth of it was eatable but with a lot of effort to free the meat from the fat. The first service lady asked if she good bring me something else instead, which would have been a good idea. Unfortunately, the other lady refused this and said of course I could order anything else but had to pay. And she gave me a full lecture of how pork had to be. I mean this wasn't the first piece of pork in my life. I hardly touched the meat, but she didn't even offer a free dessert or a coffee. My colleague told me later that she had once the beef burger and it was also awful. So maybe stay in this hotel if you don't mind the location but never, never EAT there. It is a complete waste of money. It would have been easy to satisfy me with something but now this hotel has lost me as a customer totally (I often stay there since our company is nearby, but now never again).

1  Thank Armor-Reisen
WBvO, General Manager at Mercure Hotel Amsterdam City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that your experience in our bar was not very good. Every day I try to improve my team and stimulate them to go beyond the point of expectation. As you can imagine I was not very happy to read about your experience. Let me assure you that I will try my utmost best to prevent this from happening again.

Although you had a negative experience in our bar, I do hope to welcome you again. As of the 11th of April we have introduced a new menu. This new menu is organic and healthy. I can assure you, we won’t disappointed you again.

Kind regards,