3,680 results
All reviews great location hampshire hotel balcony overlooking the canal canal tour beautiful hotel major museums deluxe room mini bar bars and restaurants flower market van gogh museum museum quarter tram stop central location dam square leidseplein americain
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We had a good time over there,I had one of the best apple pie.nice place to sit and chat. Clean toilets. Our waitress was in a little bit of a hurry I think her shift was ending! Nice place to relax and watch your surroundings.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We only had a drink in the bar but this is the only place during our visit that we felt we were ripped off. We went to pay by credit card and the bill was in US dollars. We asked to pay in euros and were told it was not possible. We are supposed to be given the choice AND the bill must be rerun if we object to being charged in dollars. We were told it was the hotel's policy to run all bills in dollars. We will not be returning to the American Hotel.

Stayed: March 2018
Ken T, Guest Relations Manager at American Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Dear guest,
Thank you for a visit to our bar Americain.
All our payments are in Euros except when you choose to pay in a different currency. It is not quite clear to us why you didn't have a choice this time, but we will use your feedback for training purposes to prevent this from happening again.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We have stayed at the American 3 times now. We didn't book breakfast this time as we stayed for 4 nights and it works out quite expensive, however we have had the breakfast here and it is amazing!! The location is ideal, bus goes directly to and from the airport and the trams to take you around Amsterdam are very frequent and inexpensive.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a room overlooking the fountains , it also had a balcony which would be perfect in the summer for sitting outside watching the world go by.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Nicolette D, Management Assistant at American Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear Guest, thank you for your loyal visits and review. It is very rewarding for our team to notice that you had, again, such a pleasant stay. We look forward to your next visit! With kind regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Bed is super comfortable. Room is quite small though for the rate we are paying. Location is excellent. However, we found out Uber doesn’t go there so we have to bring our luggage and cross the bridge to the opposite main road for the Uber pick up. Other than that, the location is superb.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I stayed here on a three day business trip and wouldn't recommend it.

It's a glamorous old building with a great - newly refurbished I think - restaurant which has grandeur but not great food (breakfast wasn't great).

The hotel staff were friendly enough but lacking in the kind of proactivity and service you expect on a business trip and in a major city. I had requested an early check in but when I arrived at 10:30am the staff could give me no indication of when a room might be ready (check in is at 3pm). I understand that 10:30 is early but I'd hope that with 4 hours at least one room could come free and they might communicate with Housekeeping which they made no effort to do. Eventually I did in fact get an early check in just after 1pm but their proactivity would have been appreciated. They also didn't give me any info on the hotel amenities so I had to find the restaurant and bar myself and i have no idea if there is anything else like a gym.

The rooms were really faded - old fashioned carpets and soft furnishings, a small TV, generally faded furniture. The bathroom was very small with low quality toiletries and even poor toilet roll! The shower has a kind of awkward glass door and old fashioned pull head.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Ken T, Front Office Manager at American Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your observations during your stay.
Our official check-in time is indeed 3pm. However when a room is ready, we are happy to give you the room earlier. As we have a very high occupancy, we are fully booked almost everyday and that is why we can't give a certain time on when the room is ready. In fact our Front Office employees do let housekeeping know when a guest is waiting but this might have been unnoticable for you as this is done via our system. We apologize for not being more proactive about this matter. Your feedback is highly appreciated and will be used for training and modification purposes to make a difference for future guests.
We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind regards,