DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station
Ranked #56 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Dundee
“Excellent Stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Me and a friend chose the Doubletree as part of a 3 night package trip to Amsterdam on a budget. Looking at the hotel online we thought the pictures must be too good to be true for the price we had paid...We arrived at 9am and thought we weren't allowed to check in until 2pm but they had a room ready so it was no hassle to let us check in early which was a relief after a long night/early flight. We even got a warm cookie on arrival! The room was clean and modern and had lovely views over the whole city. Staff were very friendly throughout the whole stay and they cleaned the rooms to an excellent standard daily. I would recommend the skybar for evening drinks for fantastic views and service - a little bit pricey but you pay for the location. All in all a brilliant hotel which i would definitely stay in again and reccommend to others. It has an excellent location on the water, just a few minutes stroll to the train station and to the city centre. Perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for city view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janine L
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us on Tripadvisor after your recent stay at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. Your excellent rating and review was highly motivational and is very much appreciated.

I am very happy to hear that the early check in and the modern and clean room made your stay more comfortable and pleasant. It is great that you were able to bring a visit to our SkyLounge and enjoy a nice drink with beautiful view over the city!
We are pleased to read that you have experienced our Team Members to be extremely helpfull and that they were able to assist you with any information. I have naturally passed on your kind words.

On behalf of the entire team thank you very much for your stay and for your recommendations.
I truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

With kind regards,
Caroline Receveur
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,495)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed for two nights over the bank holiday weekend. We had no prior booking as was a last minute decision to visit Amsterdam. The receptionist was very helpful and got us a good deal. There was only deluxe rooma available which had an amazing virw over the city. The room was quite spacious but for a deluxe room it was below standards. There was no little extras such as water, hair conditioner or robes. The bathroom was small with no bath which to me a is always a dissapointment. Also when we arrived there was half the wrapper off a condom beside the bed which was pretty gross!! The tv is actually an Apple computer which is amazing and there is free internet access on it. We got breakfast included in the price but was definatly not worth 25 euro pp. I would advise nobody to pay this!

The second night of our stay we arrived back around 1.30 to find neither of our key cards working. When my fiance approached reception he was told we had large bill outstanding and thats why our cards were not working. Having paid upfront on arrival and paying a deposit he tried to explaing this but was more than 20 minutes sorting this out. When we eventually got into the room there was a note to tell us to contact reception. When I did this they told me it was all just a mistake on their behalf. Needless to say all this put a downer on our night.

All in all this hotel is certainly not worth the money. I have stayed in a few Hiltons around the world and this certainly doesnt live up to them. Good location but there are plenty of cheaper places to stay nearby.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed here one night with my wife and daughter. We actually live in Amsterdam so only chose to stay here because I had a free night stay that was about to expire. We don't go into the city center that much because of the tourists so it was actually really nice to try being a tourist in Amsterdam for a day/night/day. The hotel is really well situated where its close to everything but just off of the main tourist arteries. The rooms were a bit on the small side and already showing signs of wear (broken plaster and the carpet was a bit sad). The breakfast was rock solid and the staff very helpful. If you are coming to visit Amsterdam I would say its a good choice all around (I say this without knowing how much it costs per night). I think for Amsterdam standards its good.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Caroline_Receveur, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam Centraal Station, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Neighbour,

It is great to see that have been able to be a tourist in your own city and enjoy a pleasant stay in our hotel. I highly appreciate your feedback as it allows us to imrpove and enhance our product and services.

We will take care of any errors in the rooms and make necessary replacements. thank you for your kind words regarding the breakfast which i have naturally shared with the entire team.

Thank you very much for you stay and we truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you more often at the DoubleTree by hilton Amsterdam, either as a hotel guest or as our appreciated local neighbours to enjoy dinner or drinks at the hotel.

Warm regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Doubletree, Amsterdam was a disappointing experience all around. The location was good for accessing the vibrant Amsterdam city, but the hotel is actually perched on top of the rail lines going to Amsterdam Centraal which means you experience trains 24 hours despite the double glazing.
The room was below standard considering the hefty price range and the carpet in my room had food mashed into it by the previous guest which hadn't even been properly vacuumed let alone scubbed!
The service was adequate, though it did seem as though you were putting the staff out if you asked them a question.
Admittedly I began my stay on the eve of Queen's Day, so the hotel was probably busier than usual. Though I can't seem to find any true redeeming qualities.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for you openly sharing your experiences with us regarding your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam Centraal Station. I highly appreciate your valuable feedback as it allows us to imtprove and enhance our products and services.

As a hotel we are there to provide a warm welcome and most of all a good night rest and I am even more disappointing that we have not succeeded in delivering our promises.

Within DoubleTree by Hilton we have strict standards in terms of cleanliness of the rooms and therefore I even more regret the fact that we have not been able to comply with these standards during your stay for which I want to offer our sincere apologies. We have adressed you comments to our Housekeeping department and will make every effort to be sure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards.

We’re sorry we didn’t provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at DoubleTree by HiltonTM and your satisfaction is important to us.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

My husband picked this hotel as this getaway was a birthday treat and he made an excellent choice! When we arrived at the airport we walked out straight into the train station and boarded a train into Amsterdam Centraal, tickets were around 5 euro per person and considering a transfer is £80 we opted to make our own way there. After ten min on the train we got off at Centraal to find our hotel was in sight and 5 min walk away. We arrived at 10am and we were checked in straight away, met with hot cookies on arrival. Rooms were incredible! Beautifully clean however our mini bar had half drunk vodka ect so id make sure you check and ring down to reception or else you could be charged for it. Room had tv/computer that we used to find our way around and to watch e4 on demand ect. Towelling robes and slippers provided and white company bath products. and despite other reveiws our room was facing the train tracks and looking out to the sea, my husband is a light sleeper and even he didnt wake with the trains, wouldnt worry too much about the noise. On exploring Amsterdam i would say go to the larger supermarkets in the heart of the hustle and bustle as the smaller shops rip you off for beer and crisps ect. I HAVE to mention Cafe E Loojie, we had read reviews about it being THE best steak house in Amsterdam and they weren't wrong. It took us an hour and mobile gps to find it but it was well worth it! Mainly local people eating here and it was packed we had to wait 45 min to be seated and even then your crammed in like sardines! However the food was well worth the wait, we had 2 steaks a bowl of chips 3 rounds of drinks and a dessert to share and it came to 50 euro more than worth it! If you dine anywhere make sure you dine here it was amazing and we left kind of sad as we knew we would never have a meal as amazing as that ever again! Wouldnt stress too much about paying for tram tickets we wandered on and off trams at least 4 times without paying as no one bothered to check (and at first we didnt have a clue how to get a ticket) we did have to pay on some though at the door to the tram and it is around 4 euro for a one way trip. We went to House of Bols which we really enjoyed and we left a little tipsy this place made me fall in love with cocktails. Visited Anne Frank house which was really surreal and sad we waited for about 40 min to get in but that wasnt too bad. Also did Van Gough museum however if you want replica prints get them off street vendors its cheaper. Must go to the Red light district day and night! By day 3 they didnt suprise us anymore and we had a right giggle watching the men sneaking in and out of the windows with guilty looks on there faces. MUST try FEBO food in little vending machines amazing! Had a cocktail in the sky lounge bar on the last night wasnt cheap at 16 euro but it was my birthday so hey why not! Reception staff were helful and helped mark out city maps for us. If i stayed in Amsterdam i would go here again i enjoyed the tourist in Amsterdam feel by day and the luxury of an amazing hotel at night PERFECT!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

First of all happy belated Birthday, I hope it was one not to forget!

I would like to share with you my utmost appreciation for taking the time out of your day to share with us your recent experiences and write such a positive review on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to see that the location of the hotel was such a convenience to you and that you were able to enjoy Amsterdam to the fullest!

Thank you very much again for your stay and for your kind words. I Truly hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at DoubleTree by Hilton Amsterdam in the near future.

Warm regards from Amsterdam,