“Midweek break at it's best”

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
Ranked #10 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Midweek break at it's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

This is my first trip to Amsterdam and I am sure I will return again. The hotel was excellent and the staff went out of their way to make sure your stay was memorable. We had a beautiful room over looking the river. Luckily the sun shone in the afternoon so we went down stairs and sat on the veranda sunbathing and watching the boats go by! I only have a couple of negitive remarks which are the hotel in not in the centre of all the hussle and bussel of Amsterdam so if you like the nightlife and easy access to resturants this is not the hotel for you, but if the opposite is the case you can't fault it. The other was 2 hotel guest who shouted at me for going in the wrong door with my shoes on as it was the spa, they obvousily had the money to stay there but no manners!! should of pushed them in the river!!

On travel, if you are coming into Skipol airport you need to get a ticket for the train to Amsterdam, please make sure you are standng at the right end of the platform as 2 different trains pull in at the sation. The ticket machines are automatic and can be translated to English for easy use. When you arrive at the station the best option is a tram although it is not clear which is the best one to go on - the No 10 goes on a large loop around the city. The main ones that we used were 10 12 and 7 this will get you around easily. Go to your nearest underground station and buy tickets for the tram/bus it will cost around 12 euros for 3 days, which is excellent value for money, the same ticket system applies for this as well so easy peasy. If you fancy a boat trip don't be shy about asking a local as we did mind you he turned out to be South African ( yes Robert I am talking about you!) he owned a 1960's wooden boat, beautiful and we had a lovely tour of the canals.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicola W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Craigieburn, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

I should probably start by saying that I'm a "Royal Ambassador" with the IHG Hotel chain so I usually get treated pretty well when I stay in one of their hotels. Having said that, the Amstel is one of the, if not THE, best hotel I have ever stayed in.

I was there for 3 nights to celebrate my birthday and everything was fantastic. The email communications prior to my stay, my (well, ok the car's Sat Nav) ability to find the hotel, the check in experience (not only was it polite and efficient, the girl that checked me in was simply stunning!), the room (see below), everything, it was all simply fantastic!

I usually get upgrades at InterContinentals but this time I got an Executive Suite that was a total of 4 rooms. There was an entry room, a lving room, a bedroom and a large bathroom. All were in an an "old school" Dutch style and simply screamed "luxury"! For my birthday I was given a complimentary glass of champagne, among other things.

Probably the most important part of my stay actually occurred after I left. After getting to another IC in Berlin two days after I left the Amstel, I noticed that I left several important items in my room safe when I left. These included my passports and and some cash. The Amstel not only got the items but were able to overnight them to me in Berlin without any significant issues. They even returned the cash that I had forgotten was even in the safe (too many birthday drinks)!!!

I simply can't recommend this hotel highly enough! It is a bit on the expensive side but, like they say, "You get what you pay for". If you want to stay in the best hotel in all of Holland, stay at the Amstel!

Room Tip: The hotel only has 84(?) rooms so book in advance to get a good rate. Also (like I've said in ot...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank medic51vrf
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

The beautiful Amstel Hotel in Amsterdam is in a great location. Close to trams and metro, so you can get to all the sites you want to see. Upon check-in, because of our credit card, we were upgraded to a large two room suite. The bathroom was very large and well appointed. The public spaces are beautiful in that grand, old European style. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hgshead
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

Great location, clean, nice, comfy, decent rooms, a beautiful building, wonderful food and great service.
Sometimes there isn't enough staff though, at reception for example. It took a while to check out because of a guest before me and there not being any other staff around. Ditto concierge, it can take a while before he comes out but there is enough space to leave your car so not really a problem.
Other thing is, I hate rain showers, but that's a matter of personal likes / dislikes / taste.
All in all a great hotel, I love the classic style, it means old fashioned (in a good way) quality, super comfy and everything functions exactly they way you want it to and service is great. And that's what I prefer over trendy places where often things look arty but lack in functionality and service.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

WiFi SOOOOOOO slow. One bottle of water in room after 6 nts for 2 pax even paying Euro 655 + tax for majority of stay...! Unbelievably mean. No welcome drink, no fruit, the worst check-in ever. No flowers/plants in room. Room so small (39 sqm) with steps to bathroom and so dangerous. A hotel with no heart and no love....
Room dark (even in the Summer) and over looking street even though we are here for 6nts.
Very money/commercially orientated....owner first guest last sorry to say!
Andrew J Wood
President SKÅL Intl Thailand and former
GM Royal Cliff hotel Thailand.

• Stayed September 2012
13 Thank Bkkblueeyes
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Dear Bkkblueeyes,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow me to apologize for the room accommodations and in-room amenities you received that did not live up to your expectations. I am also sorry you were not satisfied with the rates. Prices do vary depending on the market. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Anthony M