“Marvelous place in Amsterdam”
Review of Canal House

Canal House
Ranked #23 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 3 days in the beginning of January. Very stylish hotel with friendly staff, comfortable rooms, tasty breakfasts, convenient location. No one negative thing to say.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Anturix
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed in the Best room which was basically a canal view suite on the top floor.

First the downsides:
= The room is laid out quite strangely - very long.
= The drain in the shower was clogged, which for some reason I didn't complain about till our stay was half over. The room would fill with water every time we showered. Once I did mention something it was fixed straight away.
= The heating system was changed mid-week and we couldn't figure out how to heat the room properly (and neither could Housekeeping).
= The staff was nice, but far too apologetic. I would prefer something to be done rather than you just apologizing why it isn't being done.
= Very poor dinner service. Very expensive wines, uber fishy fish, and ridiculously undercooked beef. And nothing was even done to adjust the very expensive bill after we complained.

The upsides:
= The hotel is gorgeous!!
= Morning breakfast and restaurant area is perfect to wake up to. We were able to have breakfast brought to us one morning and it was the best.
= Room service was wonderful.
= Super comfy bed and fabulous canal views.
= Great turndown service with little snacks left every few nights.
= Communication with the hotel via email prior to our arrival was always prompt and thorough.
= The hotel is gorgeous!!

We visit Amsterdam every year and I think this is the newest and most modern hotel in the Jordaan. We are already planning on returning this year.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stephanie L
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Perhaps a rather broad and fastidious quest it were for a dwelling of three mere nights, but I wanted to veer away from the days of old - desiring something novel, something new. Still beset by ironies from the past, cheap hostels and cramped quarters have made their mark on my soul no doubt and are certainly absent of regret, but for me, opposing angles and fresh perspectives will always hold the highest regard. For all intents and purposes, isn’t that what travelling is all about, or should be? I was also meeting up with my girlfriend though whom I hadn’t seen in nearly three months, so that too had much to do with pursuing a change of scenery.

Nevertheless, there we were on a Monday afternoon in September still proudly wearing the effects of a long weekend in Munich (for the famed “Oktoberfest”). The relatively short trek from Centraal Station to the Canal House were broadcast aloud as the rolling suitcase trailing behind seemed to lose its footing over each and every swollen cleft in the pavement, and there were many. The entrance, a bit subtle and somewhat puzzling until the gothic-like sign above relieved any doubt. A few steps up and through the solid black door was a light-colored entryway with art wrapped in irregular-sized frames lining the walls. The first corner we came to revealed the bar, which also served as the front desk. A friendly woman was there to assist with check-in and then proceeded to escort us to the room which to my surprise was actually downstairs. I was certain that when I had made the reservations over a month earlier that we would be staying in a “Great Room” with a canal view, but it turned out that I was perfectly fine having misunderstood. What we were actually given was what appeared to be the only garden view room with direct access to the garden (Room #2), as well as a semi-private patio with a table and chairs, a perfect place to relax and unwind after a long day of exploring the city on foot. The room was exactly as shown on the website (http://www.canalhouse.nl/), orderly, comfortable, with an intriguingly romantic undertone. Though we didn’t actually spend much time at the hotel, and ate (breakfast) there only once, there wasn’t a single thing that I could even try to be critical about. The staff was exceptionally kind, considerate, and always willing to thoroughly answer any questions we had. On the morning of departure, General Manager Wessel Krauss was kind enough to offer his insight and make a few suggestions for our next stop, printing out detailed maps with phone numbers and even called to confirm our reservations in Brussels. He then took me a on a brief tour, explaining the history and future plans of the hotel. Clearly he was passionate about what he did and genuinely took pride to ensure that the experiences of all guests were positive.

Without question, I couldn’t be more satisfied and delighted with our short stay at the Canal House. To be so bold, I think writing a review about it over three months later is a testament that it left nothing but fond memories tucked into the sub-cockles (if you will) of my heart and mind. Like anyplace, surely someone along the way already has or someday will have something contrary to proclaim, but I imagine the odds of that here are fewer and further between. It truly is an ideal location too, within walking distance to everything (unless you despise walking), yet far enough away to feel less like a tourist and more like a local. Glancing at a map it could appear to some as being a little too far from certain places of interest, but maps as they do, sometimes tend to mislead. Everything is actually quite close, and Keizersgracht (the street which the Canal House is on) extends throughout the main “central” part of Amsterdam, so it’s rather simple to get back on track if you get lost.

Nonetheless, if you as well wish for something a little more tasteful and refined, yet low-key and practical (common qualities of most “boutique-style” hotels) and are prepared and able to pay the higher rates, I think it would suit you right to end the search here and reserve accordingly.

Cheers and safe travels to you.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank DylanJamesIckler
Reviewed 12 December 2011

A wonderful looking hotel in an excellent area. Much time and money has been spent making this a great looking hotel. I and 4 other friends decided to eat dinner there last week. As we arrived two Italian diners were complaining of the food but we remained to see for ourselves. We ordered our drinks and two courses. The starter arrived but they forgot one of our number and had to go away to re-order it from the kitchen. The Pate was tasteless according to one friend, but the others were satisfied with their food. We waited and waited for our next course and I could see that the waiters were tucking into our chips whilst they waited for the course to arrive. Really not good enough for a hotel of this supposed standard. I and my friends will not be going back - there are other equally good hotels near by in which to stay and eat in.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank SeamusOL3
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Great location, friendly staff, beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Even the breakfast was wonderful. This was my 4th time in Amsterdam and I would definitely stay in the Canal House again.

Room Tip: rooms are small, but it is Amsterdam...