“Atmospheric”

Ranked #2 of 596 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Anne Frank House is a museum with a story. As a visitor, you experience this story through quotes, photos, videos, and original items. The atmosphere in the museum is authentic and subdued. The Anne Frank House can only be visited with an online ticket for a specific date and time. 80% of tickets for any date are released exactly two months in advance. The remaining 20% are released on our website on the day. The demand often exceeds the number of available tickets. We advise you to buy your online tickets well ahead of time. Tickets for holidays and weekends sell out quickly.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This was very touching - somehow, although the rooms are empty of furniture, one really sensed the atmosphere of this confining home. It was a privilege to visit. We couldn't face the cafe at the end - somehow it didn't feel appropriate to have coffee and cake straight afterwards.

All reviews
in 923 reviews
"own pace"
in 325 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Highly recommend booking in advance if you don't want to wait around for hours in a line. The morning usually has reserved spots and the afternoon opens up to the general public for a couple hours. Definitely worth seeing!

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Some things can't be experienced without a certain amount of expectation. I'd been told - more than once - to be prepared to be deeply moved by a visit to the Anne Frank House. That made me steel myself (everyone's different, right?) for the emotional onslaught. I may have over prepared.

When I visit a historical site, I'm hoping for a glimpse of what it was like for the humans who made it historical. I struggled with this in the Frank's hiding place. It's necessarily reinforced, enclosed, roped off, and shielded with sheets of plexiglas. All that protection didn't mean a connection was impossible, but it was difficult for me to feel it. Blame my lack of imagination, my over-preparedness, the press of the line to keep moving.

That changed in the room Anne shared with her sister, Margot. Even though the walls were behind plexiglas, and I was emotionally braced, and the line was unforgiving, I could imagine two sisters quiet in that space with the pictures pasted to the walls.

I spent a lot of time in the gift shop and bought a post card (of Otto Frank standing, head bowed, in the empty annex). I also bought the diary. I thought I should read it again.

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Worth visiting if you’re interested in this, however it’s very very busy. Whilst it’s a self tour and you are told you can spend as much time as you like there it is very rushed and you are controlled by the pace of people around us.