“Fabulous”

Ranked #3 of 600 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the world's largest collection of works by Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, featuring masterpieces such as Sunflowers, The Potato Eaters, Almond Blossom and The Bedroom. Due to public holidays, opening hours may vary from December 24 2018, to January 5 2019. Please consult the museum website for current opening hours.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Spacious and informative and the handheld guides are great as you can customise them for a long or short tour. Unmissable.

All reviews
in 1,163 reviews
"queue"
in 3,016 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Really fun museum to visit! Knew a lot of the paintings before I went in from my school years and it was great to finally see them in person. The gift shop is one of the few gift shops I have spent time in.

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Good to get an understanding of the artist and life at the time. Best book on-line and plan a good 3hrs for the visit. Cloak room is often well utilised so try not to bring coats if weather is good

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I am not an artist but I love frequenting art museums.

The Van Gogh museum was exceptionally well organized and presented.

I soaked in the originals which were all super close to observe (unlike the Louvre etc) and they did a phenomenal job of presenting his personal life and professional work.

Love, love, loved it!!

Date of experience: April 2018
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We went to the Van Gogh Museum the day after we went to the Rijksmuseum, and it suffered by comparison, which was not at all what we expected. We got tickets online, got there early, bought the audio tour guides, and ended up staying for four-and-a-half hours (we went through the Japan exhibit as well), so it's not like we gave it short shrift.

It was great seeing the paintings up close and being able to fully appreciate the artist's technique. (It would be such a good idea to tell people up front they aren't allowed to photograph. I saw lots of people being scolded.) It was also good to be schooled at what a remarkable craftsman Van Gogh was and not just someone with mental illness and an artistic bent.

The experience came up short because of some fogginess regarding the arc of Van Gogh's life/work. This wasn't the case in the Japan portion, but the general installation lacked overall ... something ... perspective? Focus? I don't know. The other disappointment was the audio guide. In contrast to the Rijksmuseum, the commentary seemed fluffy and juvenile just when we'd gotten used to meaty and consequential.

I'm not sorry we went. I'm sorry I'm not rapt and full of glowing remarks.