“Recommended”

Cuisines: African
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: De Pijp
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Visited this place together with some south african and dutch friends. Was most welcomed by the chef, the waiter and the cat.
Great food, tried some typical south african dish (after being recommended it).
Quiet and nice place. Surprised so few people visited.
Would love to come back again.

Reviewed 9 October 2016

I came here for dinner with colleagues in September. We made a reservation a week in advance. The restaurant has many tables, so a reservation is not absolutely necessary. Don't be discouraged by the menu on the website, which has nothing to do with the actual menu. You can find many exotic meats here, such as kangaroo and ostrich.

I ordered the mixed grill because I wanted to try both the kangaroo and ostrich. It also has grilled lamb chops and farmers sausage. Although all the meats were grilled/cooked to perfection, the kangaroo was by far my favourite. It was the most tender and the juiciest. We also had a very nice Cabernet Sauvignon from South Africa.

My only complaint is the service. Although service was attentive, it was painfully slow. We waited 1.5-2 hours for our mains. Luckily, I was with good company. Make sure you're not too hungry when you come for dinner.

Reviewed 16 September 2016 via mobile

Since discovering this little gem of a restaurant I visit several times each week I am in Amsterdam. The staff are incredibly friendly, the ambience relaxing and the food... it has that "WOW!" factor. It's not just what's on the menu. It is prepared so beautifully and artistically it is food from chef Michael's heart.
If the weather is good the garden is a beautiful place to sit. I went in spring the first time and there was blossom on the trees. As the sun sets it turns into a magical enclave of colour and shadows. Do yourself a favour and visit this place. It's just beautiful.

Reviewed 18 July 2016 via mobile

Tucked away in a quiet side street in De Pijp in Amsterdam is this gem of a place.

If anyone wants to experience proper South African hospitality and just the yummiest food - go no further. I went here for the Sunday Braai (BBQ) and it definitely did not disappoint.

ALL the food was just amazing and I will surely be making this a regular visit. I love the service and staff here, it is unpretentious, friendly, efficient and best of all relaxed. Actually to me the food was heaven on a plate......... I had to, quite greedily, have a second helping.

There is a distinct bohemian feel about the place and the patio garden at te back of the restaurant is a complete and utter delight. I felt like I was walking into a beautiful work of art.

And to top it all there was a live band from South Africa playing the most incredible folk music - all in all a fantastic afternoon in gorgeous surroundings. When is the next BRAAI?

If you are visiting Amsterdam then this place is a must and if you are a local then it should be a regular haunt of yours. It is simply not to be missed.

Thank you Michael and your team and off course the Bottomless Coffee Band for a brilliant afternoon.

Reviewed 29 May 2016 via mobile

We learned about Tjing Tjing by reading through some stories from a recently published book called Flavors of Life, which describes the personal stories of a very diverse group of restaurateurs who have all ended up in Amsterdam, coming from all corners of the world. We were interested to visit some of the restaurants, and have been very happy with every selection so far, including Tjing Tjing.

We had a table for six on the outdoor back patio area. We enjoyed the Sunday brai, which consisted of lots of barbecued foods, nice little appetizers, and a fantastic dessert. Make sure you get reservations for the patio.

There was a musician playing some authentic South African music (since he was from South Africa), which really made the entire experience a fun event.

The patio is a very nice relaxing area, surrounded by a private enclosure, including a colorful wall mural depicting many elements of the Capetown area. Really cool. There are several trees providing shade and ambience. It really is nice.

The food itself is very tasty. The brai is a buffet style where multiple trips to select additional food is encouraged. Wait staff is very friendly. Michael, the owner and primary chef, was wonderfully friendly and welcoming. What a nice experience.