“Would never stay there again - do not be late for check-in!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
B&B Aan de Singelgracht
Ranked #4 of 10 Breda B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Would never stay there again - do not be late for check-in!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

I travel a lot, and I usually don't complain - however my stay at B&B Aan de Singelgracht for 4 nights in October was one of the most uncomfortable experiences I've had in 30 years travelling around the world.

My wife and I flew from Rome, picked up a rental car out of Schipol and drove the 100km or so to Breda. We got caught in traffic, and I had emailed earlier to say we would be in about 7pm. However it looked like we were going to be late, so out of courtesy I called to let them know. The hostess told us we had to be in by 8pm. Period. I said I had no control over the traffic, and she said 8pm - because she had other engagements. In other words, if we weren't in by 8pm, then we'd had to find another hotel.

Not only that, but their cancellation policy is prohibitive. We would have lost our entire cost of booking for 4 nights if we'd changed hotel.

We first stayed in the loft room which was huge and overlooked the canal. It was a sweet room and comfortable however it has two sets of almost vertical stairs to get to it, so if you are elderly or you have a lot of luggage, like we had, be warned! (These kind of stairs wouldn't be allowed in most countries because of Health & Safety regulations.)

The breakfast was good, however there was no espresso coffee, just plunger coffee, and you only got one egg. Boiled. You were asked what time you'd be down for breakfast and if you were late (heaven help that that you might want to sleep in on your holidays!), then you got a severe frown from the hostess and a very thin good morning smile.

Parking is difficult. You have to park on a side street and pick up whatever space you can. The B&B gives you a "residents" parking sticker which costs €5 per day.

On check-out, I wasn't offered the bill to check over, I was just asked for my credit card which was quickly processed and was given the credit card slip back as a receipt. No itemized bill to check. I had to ask for it.

My overall impression of the staff (that is, the hostess/owner) is that there is a certain rigidity in the way she runs the place, and it might be cultural - that is, it might merely be Dutch - however I have since been at other Dutch hotels and they have been helpful and charming.

For all these reasons, I would not stay at this place again and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank shootr
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Twickenham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2010

A comfortable B&B with spacious rooms, I stayed in the Loft Room which was very large and had a lounge area too. Excellent home cooked breakfast, very warm welcome from the owner.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business