“Interesting location”

Residences Maastricht
Residences Maastricht
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This time I stayed in a one bedroom apartment on Kleine Graacht. It would not be suitable for those with mobility problems as the marble, spiral stairs are very steep. But it was a lovely place and very quiet, except when the Netherlands scored their third goal against Australia in the World Cup.

It would probably be enhanced with a few toiletries and things like some tabs for the dishwasher; this was no problem for me as I was over there to move my son from one flat to another.

People should be aware that there is a 'Coffee Shop' opposite which has a particular meaning in the Netherlands. My son explained this to me and in the middle of the week we did get accosted by a Belgian national who wanted us to help him buy his substance of choice. (Only Maastricht residents can do so,) So one of the most surreal experiences I have had is translating between a Walloon and an English boy to say we were not going to help him buy weed..

Do no let let this put you off the residences. They are safe and convenient. And I was with a 20 year old student. Just be aware.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The location was good, but far from the place where you check in and check out. Luckily, we had the option to reach the apartment (Tongersestraat 70) by car, but I wonder how people without a car have to manage.
The apartment was small, the floors cold and there was dust everywhere on the floors. Bathroom very basic, but fairly clean. Kitchen was well equipped with fridge, water kettle, cutlery, plates and a dish washer.
Wifi didn´t work and only after two calls did someone come to check it. Also, the hot water and heating stopped working one morning, so no hot shower, and the technical service only came to check after 2.5 hours. It was fixed, but the wifi didn´t work during our whole stay (3 nights).
After complaining we did get a discount for the discomfort experienced. Instead of a total to EUR 411 we had to pay EUR 330.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Barbulet
Reviewed 17 March 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE. My room - apt. C01 on Tongerseweg 42 - was an extremely basic and drab student pad with no iron, no hair dryer, a tepid trickle of a shower and, worst of all, no toilet paper. Admittedly I was in Maastricht at a very busy time, but you would expect toilet paper for 120 euros a night.

On the second evening I returned to my room (which was locked, as I had left it), to find my bag with contents scattered on the floor and my iPad gone. When I phoned reception I was told that only the cleaning and maintenance staff had the keys and that they had, apparently, not been in my room that day. As if they would admit to going into my room and taking my iPad...

At least the police were very helpful and kind. Next time I'm in Maastricht I'll be staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Eugenio D
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The hotel is quite hard to find and the apartments even more so (the post code dropped us half a mile away), however we eventually found it, parking was close by and access to the entrance was easy. We had been allocated apartment D which of course was on the third floor, there was no lift and the stairs....! well I have never and I mean never seen anything like it.
A very narrow very steep stone circular staircase that had no break in the stairs, just a door off at each level.
If you slipped and fell you wouldn't stop until you hit the bottom. My wife is 67 and suffers quite badly with her knees, she had to leave her case at the bottom and it still took us a good fifteen minutes to reach the top, by which time we were exhausted. (I then had to repeat the exercise to retrieve my wife's case.)
Fortunately the apartment was first class, everything was sparkling clean, air conditioning worked well, there was more than enough of everything in the kitchen, furniture was comfortable with a modern radio/music-centre and TV.
Unfortunately the bathroom was up some more stairs!. Even steeper than the last, you literally crawled up holding the stairs in front of you!. There was no handrail and we both regarded it as extremely dangerous (it would have been lethal for small children).
Finally, anyone thinking of using this apartment should ensure they bring their prayer mats, crucifixes, prayer beads or Buddha with them because in the event of a fire nothing else is going to help you. There is no fire escape, just the central spiral staircase which would simply act as a chimney in the event of a fire on the ground floor.
I think some of our travel firms need to think a bit more carefully about the properties they promote.

Room Tip: I could not in good conscience do that.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Apartment C building 79. What a nasty little place. So bad that we rented another apartment (which was beautiful and cheaper) - we didn't even bother to unpack. An unpleasant experience. We now try to obtain our 3 days refund. Please do not book this - it is similar to squalid student housing you find in cities all over the UK. If you are looking for a decent place to stay look elsewhere.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple