“Food is disappointing - service is OK - great view - not worth the price”

Sonnenberg Restaurant
Ranked #191 of 1,987 Restaurants in Zurich
Price range: US$ 12 - US$ 132
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Mediterranean, Swiss
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Sonnenberg (Sun Mountain) is a place of power and affords some of Zurich's most beautiful panoramic views. Situated high above the city, it provides wide-ranging views of the Alps, the Lake of Zurich and over the rooftops of the city. Welcome to the world of the Sonnenberg. The restaurant that bears the same name enchants with fantastic views, creative culinary arts and an attractive ambience. Step inside and have a taste.
Reviewed 31 July 2017

I just had yesterday afternoon lunch for the first time since Jackie Donatz left the restaurant... and I had very high expectations due on the name of the cool and the relationship with Mesa. The location is great, the view stunning.. and I would that is all. We took the menu (3 courses) for CHF 68, which sounded reasonable, water and a glass of wine. We ended up paying CHF 90 per person, which is high for what we got and the quality. The starter was (they call it) a lobster salad (lobster is so little you had to look for it), I had fish and my partner roastbeef, which were OK but let's face it no high cousine at all, fish 3 small pieces with a tiny bit of cheackpeas and ew slices of roastbeef. The worse was the dessert: peach Melba, we got 2 slices of peach (3cm long) and 1/2 thick and some cheap vanilla icecream (so sweet and fatty, even worse than a Mövempick), this desser which must have a cost of max CHF 2 was the difference of CHF13 form the 2 courses menu, however quality as a COOP take away (tast included). Summa summarum CHF 90 for very mediocre food and a glass of wine and water. CHF 90 is already a high price and there are lots other restaurants that for this kind of money serves you fantastic food: many not having the view unfortunately... the service was OK, nevertheless we had to pour our water ourselves, all the time. I would not return despite the view.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

We were there for dinner with Friends while a strong storm. It was not an issue for the exceptional view. It was my second time in the restaurant which belongs to FIFA, and the food was even better, with a casual but very professional service. Nice wine card.
The decoration is a bit tacky and stiff. But as you look outside it is not an issue. Weather permitting, I guess the the terrace is the best option.
I really recommend.

1  Thank Marnierh
Reviewed 2 July 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a very nice lunch with great wine and excellent service - we will be back for sure, the view is fantastic: the alps, the city and the lake!

Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

We came with a larger group for dinner.

Weather was great so we did stay on terrace and enjoyed the excellent food which was also well presented.

All services personnel was highly professional, very friendly and helpful.

4  Thank FrankGeisler
Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely dinner here and every member of my family was very pleased with their choice. Our waiter introduced the specials and the menu beautifully.

I had a delicious traditional boiled steak that came with an array of interesting accompaniments. It was delectable.

We loved the view of the lake and the city of Zurich. The vineyard on the property adds to the beauty of the place.

We all enjoyed our time.