“Exceptional & knowledgeable staff”
Review of Rive Gauche

Rive Gauche
Ranked #44 of 2,194 Restaurants in Zurich
Price range: US$ 48 - US$ 96
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: «Fine casual dining» in the Rive Gauche restaurant: A sparkling blend of chic restaurant and bar, the Rive Gauche gives straight onto the city center – the ideal place for hotel guests to mingle with Zurich’s youthful, engaging society. Olivier Rais and his kitchen team apply themselves with typical creativity and devotion to delivering both exquisite meat and fish dishes and accommodating the rising trend toward vegetarian and vegan diets – in keeping with the motto «Meat our Veggies».
Reviewed 3 March 2017

I was staying in the Baur au Lac & this is separate to the hotel restaurant & bar but still a part it. Pleasant modern decor with low lighting over the tables & I liked the spaciousness of the sofa benches. The bar is to one side & separated from the restaurant so no noise comes from it. It is well stocked and the barmaid was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful as I like trying new drinks & food and she made the whole experience exceptional. Drinks can also be served in the adjacent smoking lounge which is very comfortable. It's a modern style menu, Swiss mainly with Eastern/Mediterranean fusion. Mains choices are split between classic dishes & a wide selection from the grill with sauces of personal choice. I couldn't resist the Perigord truffle specials as I hadn't had them for years. The white risotto was beautifully creamy and tasty which was followed by a large veal parmentier which ensured I was too full for dessert. The second night was a stunning starter of tuna tartar & smoke salmon followed by a gorgeous fillet steak Rossini steak & foie gras cooked to perfection. There is a good wine selection from a wide cross-section of countries and a nice by glass selection too as they have the preservation/dispenser units. This was my favourite restaurant from my Switzerland trip as it was exceptional on every level from staff, food & ambience.

Date of visit: February 2017
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Rive Gauche, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2017

Dear foodfozz,

Thank you very much for having dinner at the Rive Gauche and for having taken the time to share your impressions on TripAdvisor.

We feel flattered by the kind words you find about the Rive Gauche. We are delighted that we have met your expectations in every aspect. With pleasure we will forward your feedback to the entire team and our chef de cuisine Olivier Rais.

We would be more than happy to welcoming you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2017

A little difficult to sum up. First of all, we need to set expectations. The Rive Gauche is part of the Baur au Lac hotel in Zurich - probably the top hotel in the city ... so we need to judge it against the high standards of the hotel.

We met friends for dinner at the restaurant. Booking was friendly and the welcome was good. Then the first miss - they mixed up the aperitifs and were not sure who ordered which drink ... a common enough mistake, but there were only four of us !

Then a good bit ... we were given our time to chat, study the menu and think about what we wanted to eat. Service was prompt when we wanted to order and a couple of our party had no problem ordering slightly off menu. The starters arrived after just the right interval and were truly excellent. The wine was good and at a decent price.

We then had mixed experience with the food - steaks ordered were good, but were probably done slightly over than requested ... medium rare needs to be more than just pink in the middle. On the other hand, the fish served was competent but rather bland

Service was professional and friendly throughout - however the next miss was when we got up and left for 15 minutes so that some could have a smoke. When we returned, the table had been cleared, but not cleaned - it was covered with breadcrumbs.

Deserts were again very good, with the waitress discussing which ones we particularly liked, without being pushy. The bill came promptly and payment was fast.

Overall, given the high standards of the Baur au lac, and the relatively high price compared to other restaurants (around 200 francs per head), the dinner at Rive Gauche was probably a little too hit and miss. However given the basic good qualities, the service, the location and partially the food, I would probably go back and give them a second chance

Dear HaRa2002,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your dinner at Rive Gauche. We truly value your opinion and we apologize that we did not meet all of your expectations during your visit.

Providing our guests with the best possible service and quality has always been our vision and mission. Hopefully we may welcome you and your friends again and do our best to convince you of a better performance.

Wishing you a wonderful day and looking forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 February 2017

I've visited many times Rive Gauche, above all for its excellent service. They take care of every single detail and they are worried about customer comfortability and satisfaction. They have an extensive cocktail and drinks chart. Also, they have an offer of small portions to be taken in the bar with your cocktail. Atmosphere is very elegant and cozy.

Date of visit: January 2017
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Rive Gauche, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2017

Dear Albert G,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at the Rive Gauche here on TripAdvisor.

We are more than happy to read that you were overall satisfied with your visit at the Rive Gauche and the Baur au Lac. The entire team was very touched by your kind words. It would be truly wonderful to welcoming you back very soon.

In the meantime I remain with my kindest regads,

Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

We came here for a romantic dinner on a weekend. At first we were given a table next to the entrance which definitely did not meet our expectations when we made the reservation with the request for a romantic table. Thankfully we could move to another, better table at the window.
Service was quick, attentive, flexible and very friendly. Food was between okay and good, but didn't legitimate the upscale prices. For two people we paid over 300 CHF for starters, main course, dessert and each a glass of wine.

Date of visit: February 2017
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Rive Gauche, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2017

Dear Parvati S

With reference to your dinner we would like to thank you for having taken the time to share with us your experience. Your feedback is very important to us.

We are glad to hear that we matched your expectations with our quick, friendly and attentive service. Please accept our sincere apologies for the incident with your given table. I very much regret that you were not satisfied with your ordered dishes and that we did not have an opportunity to discuss your experience personally while you were here. Your experience does certainly not meet our high service standards at the Baur au Lac.

We would like to convince you with a better performance during your next visit at our Rive Gauche.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 21 January 2017 via mobile

Why? Because it proofed the consistent quality of this gem from top to bottom.
When my friend found it would be a good idea to just walk into Baur Au Lac hotel whilst we've been on a bar tour through almost all over Zürich in the last week of Feb 2016, we stumbled around the lobby and didn't know what we actually were looking for in a house that everybody seems to know in this city. One of the concierges (Heldar, crossed keys symbol on his jacket) saw us, looked at my friend (respectful) and said "I assume you are looking for the Rive Gauche Bar, Gentleman?" and we both looked at each other smiling over the situation and found us following him to the named bar.
I mean thats what you need on a bar tour.
The bar named after the Rive Gauche Restaurant looked very classy, with well placed light sources and high quality furniture. We sat down at the middle of the counter and were asked precisely for our taste. "Valerio" recommended us the "High Five" and the "RG Cooler" accordingly, which I ordered one after another as my friend is more of a beer drinker which they have on tub. We were served with nuts to snack and they refilled them about three times, always before the bowl was empty. I guess thats why we decided to have a second drink, which lead us to the second experience as it was already evening and we had to think about dinner. Valerio had a sense for our needs and offered us to check the menu of both the bar and the restaurant. We hesitated at first because of the expected pricing but that was totally wrong as they offer their dishes at reasonable prices for "Zürich niveau".
Then our little bar tour started to overreach our expectations: Valerio showed us to the table he meanwhile reserved for us and we both ordered a glass of Sauvignon blanc and mineral water. I had a Rib Eye stake that was huge and the "eye" (the reason I ordered it) just melted in my mouth and released all tastiness I could imagine. This was the best cut of meat I ever had in my whole live. Some glaced vegetables and potato mash on the side just made it as smooth as it could get.
My friend went for a big portion of salvia ravioli and after trying a piece with som crispy salvia I didn't know what to say any more - delicious!
We already had a long day so we left the restaurant after our mains totally overwhelmed. Thinking back to it I would say it was the way they treated us with respect, intuitive and individual. The service was all smooth and efficient, never interrupting our conversation and they never mixed up any order. Even the payment process was fast and easy.
I put this restaurant right on top of my favorite spots list and look forward to have a great time there hopefully soon.

Date of visit: February 2016
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Rive Gauche, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2017

Dear Christian W,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at Rive Gauche here on TripAdvisor.

We are more than happy to read that you were overall satisfied with your visit at the Rive Gauche and the Baur au Lac. The entrie team, especially Valerio and Helder were very touched by your kind words. We all are delighted that you had such a good evening at the Rive Gauche and we could contribute to a good time in Zurich.

Dear Christian W, it would be truly wonderful to welcoming you back very soon.

In the meantime I remain with my kindest regads,