“Ordinary...”

Ranked #42 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
London, United Kingdom
“Ordinary...”
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Stayed at this hotel for one night on business, for a rate of CHF350, so far so good, except despite prior telephone assurances by reception that it is a double bed in the single room (ie double for single use), it was no such thing! When after evening check in I have asked reception staff as to this anomaly, they said it was late, they were booked out, there "was no note", and there is absolutely nothing they can do about the issue. Yes, the price corresponds to what you get: a rather tiny room with single bed (probabbly 120cm, old and soft as anything, sleep quality as a result rubbish) one side of it pushed against the wall, decor something from early 1980s - dusty pinks and muted baby blue - yeek - the whole thing looked tired and definitely not SLH quality.

My aircon didnt really work, the room was drab. They did relocate me to another single room on the opposite end of the corridor facing away from the main road (I note that such room was their original answer to my "quiet room" request ) and it was slightly fresher (perhaps mid 1990s decor, much more cosy with botanical sort of prints, and blinds in bathroom) and defnitely quieter.

Breakfast in very brightly lit up breakfast/restaurant room (half the light would make it just so much more cosy!) was CHF40, not worth it, and when you think CHF390 is what you pay for small dated single room, before you actually pay for the internet - in my view, it is not good value for money overall. Perhaps their double rooms offer better experience of the hotel, but then the prices correspond accordingly and for that price you are so much more better off staying elsewhere (I did after this experience!).

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank l-globetrotter
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 13 November 2010

On each trip my wife and I make, we splurge at one hotel. We made the right choice at the Eden Au Lac in Zurich. The location across from the lake was perfect. As for the room, it was comfortable, well decorated and the bathroom was superb. The best part was the restaurant. We expressed an interest at having beef Stroganoff, a local specialty. The chef prepared it for us even though it wasn’t on the menu. It turned out being more than just a meal, it turned out to be a lasting memory. One of the best we ever had. Now, Switzerland is not cheap and neither is the Eden Au Lac. Considering the economy there, we felt it was money well spent.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 September 2010

* Room smelt like dog
* No in room iron or 24 hour ironing service
* Limited selection at breakfast buffet
* Room key too big
* Room décor was a tribute to the year 1974
* Expensive

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank LondonMandM
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Old and tired. And expensive. We booked via Kuoni but would have got it cheaper direct. Didn't use the restaurant because it resembled a mausoleum. Only saving grace are the restaurants in the road at the back of the hotel which were excellent - Quaglinos especially.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank michaelcham1
London
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a business trip to Zurich.

Pro's:
It is a lovely historical building, and the dining rooms on the ground floor are grand, with high ceilings, and beautifully, classically and traditionally furnished. In my opinion the decor in the dining area is classy and spot on.
Staff are friendly and helpful.
The welcome (small) box of Swiss chocolates and 4 pieces of fruit in the room is nice touch (although I was a bit disappointed that the chocolates weren't replenished on day 2 or 3 of my stay, given how yummy they were!, although the fruit/pears were replaced).
My room (514) was a deluxe room with a "double" bed and it was quite a large and spacious room, with a separate dressing area with closets, and a very large bathroom.

Con's:
The carpet lining the stairs running from the road up to the lobby is pretty worn... and this sets the scene that this hotel is in need of a make over.
The bedrooms are in serious need of renovation and updating (at least the room I was staying in did). While my bedroom was roomy and spacious, I was quite shocked by the standard of the decor. The decor was very tired and outdated, and the side / coffee tables were straight from the 70's, and the bedhead was pretty frumpy. It was very disappointing. The room was pretty average, was certainly not luxurious, and was completely off target with regards to “charm factor”. If renovated it could be made quite charming.
Breakfast was not included in the room rate and while it was an ok selection the CHF40 charged was not particularly good value. I had the breakfast at the hotel once and then ate elsewhere after that.
It is not possible to borrow an iron and ironing board. Their housekeeping service was going to charge CHF8 to press my small cardigan, so I declined.
My room was on the side of the building. I could see the lake by looking around the corner but it had no balcony.

I have stayed in some very luxurious & charming old hotels before, but this one didn't hit the mark. For the price I paid to stay here (£1,000 for 3 nights only including 1 breakfast!!) I felt that it was not good value for money, it certainly wasn't what I would consider a 5 star experience, and I left seriously wanting more.....

My business trip was extended and I ending up checking out and moving to the hotel next door (Steigenberger) instead which was 4 stars, CHF130 per night cheaper including breakfast, and I was upgraded to a waterfront room.

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business