“One of the best hotel experiences we have ever had.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eden Au Lac

Eden Au Lac
Ranked #39 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Tucson, Arizona
“One of the best hotel experiences we have ever had.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2010

On each trip my wife and I make, we splurge at one hotel. We made the right choice at the Eden Au Lac in Zurich. The location across from the lake was perfect. As for the room, it was comfortable, well decorated and the bathroom was superb. The best part was the restaurant. We expressed an interest at having beef Stroganoff, a local specialty. The chef prepared it for us even though it wasn’t on the menu. It turned out being more than just a meal, it turned out to be a lasting memory. One of the best we ever had. Now, Switzerland is not cheap and neither is the Eden Au Lac. Considering the economy there, we felt it was money well spent.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

* Room smelt like dog
* No in room iron or 24 hour ironing service
* Limited selection at breakfast buffet
* Room key too big
* Room décor was a tribute to the year 1974
* Expensive

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank LondonMandM
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

Old and tired. And expensive. We booked via Kuoni but would have got it cheaper direct. Didn't use the restaurant because it resembled a mausoleum. Only saving grace are the restaurants in the road at the back of the hotel which were excellent - Quaglinos especially.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank michaelcham1
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a business trip to Zurich.

Pro's:
It is a lovely historical building, and the dining rooms on the ground floor are grand, with high ceilings, and beautifully, classically and traditionally furnished. In my opinion the decor in the dining area is classy and spot on.
Staff are friendly and helpful.
The welcome (small) box of Swiss chocolates and 4 pieces of fruit in the room is nice touch (although I was a bit disappointed that the chocolates weren't replenished on day 2 or 3 of my stay, given how yummy they were!, although the fruit/pears were replaced).
My room (514) was a deluxe room with a "double" bed and it was quite a large and spacious room, with a separate dressing area with closets, and a very large bathroom.

Con's:
The carpet lining the stairs running from the road up to the lobby is pretty worn... and this sets the scene that this hotel is in need of a make over.
The bedrooms are in serious need of renovation and updating (at least the room I was staying in did). While my bedroom was roomy and spacious, I was quite shocked by the standard of the decor. The decor was very tired and outdated, and the side / coffee tables were straight from the 70's, and the bedhead was pretty frumpy. It was very disappointing. The room was pretty average, was certainly not luxurious, and was completely off target with regards to “charm factor”. If renovated it could be made quite charming.
Breakfast was not included in the room rate and while it was an ok selection the CHF40 charged was not particularly good value. I had the breakfast at the hotel once and then ate elsewhere after that.
It is not possible to borrow an iron and ironing board. Their housekeeping service was going to charge CHF8 to press my small cardigan, so I declined.
My room was on the side of the building. I could see the lake by looking around the corner but it had no balcony.

I have stayed in some very luxurious & charming old hotels before, but this one didn't hit the mark. For the price I paid to stay here (£1,000 for 3 nights only including 1 breakfast!!) I felt that it was not good value for money, it certainly wasn't what I would consider a 5 star experience, and I left seriously wanting more.....

My business trip was extended and I ending up checking out and moving to the hotel next door (Steigenberger) instead which was 4 stars, CHF130 per night cheaper including breakfast, and I was upgraded to a waterfront room.

Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Miss_Nic_7
Woking
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2010

I paid nearly £300 a night to stay here, after I couldn't find anywhere else. Although the staff were very friendly, the facilities just didn't justify the price - but hey, it's Zurich and I should probably reset my expectations. The room was decorated like something out of the 1970s, and I find this sort of style quite hard to relax in. The bed was basic, very few pillows, and the bathroom was really dated. Room service menu very limited and expensive. I had no view of the lake, which should have been a must for this price. I don't have experience of other Zurich hotels so maybe they are all like this

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business