All reviewsold towngreat locationsmall hotelwithin walking distancehardwood floorswelcome drinktram stopeach morningbreakfast roomfront desk staffcentral locationhighly recommend this hotelcorner roomrooms are moderndefinitely stay here againlimmat riveryogurt
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Stayed here based on TripAdvisor reviews and was not disappointed. Front desk staff very helpful and attentive. Room was spacious, clean and modern with everything I needed - I had a queen bed with shower - make sure you ask, otherwise you might end up with just a tub. Central location near the lake and many shops along quaint cobblestone streets. Front desk recommended and then arranged shuttle bus transportation to the airport - we didn't pick up any other passengers so had a fast, direct route at half the price of a taxi. Breakfast offered a good selection, but I'm vegetarian and I could taste that the scrambled eggs were cooked with bacon grease or at least in the same pan - not a big deal. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for room with a shower if that's important to you, otherwise you might only get a tub. I didn't have a problem with noise but I always sleep with earplugs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Helmhaus, General Manager at Hotel Helmhaus, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Grüezi ExecGirlTravels

Thank you for chosing our hotel based on our Tripadvisor reviews, and it is nice to know that you now in turn share thoughts about your stay with other travellers and us.
We are delighted to read that we have met the expectations you had based on the other reviews, and that we could make your stay comfortable and relaxing.

Indeed part of our rooms feature bathrooms with a spacious shower cabin, the other rooms have a bath tub with integrated shower. As you mention correctly, either feature can be requested and we do our best to meet the requests.

Thank you for having been guest to the smallest and most centrally located Four-Star hotel of Zurich, we wish you all the best!

Reviewed 26 October 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very well located within walking distance of downtown Zurich, with good public transport links.
The rooms were well appointed, newly renovated and clean.
The staff offered high service, very helpful and always friendly.
Good breakfast included and free wifi

• Stayed: October 2012

Grüezi jogrine

Thank you for your recent stay with us. It is nice to read that you share your positive thoughts about your stay with other travellers and us.
Your appreciation of the quality of our rooms and hotel features as well as the helpfulness of our team members has been well received.

We wish you all the best.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

This hotel is fantastic. From the location (very central and quick 10min tram ride to the main station), to the staff (friendly, accommodating, helpful), to the room (clean, decent size, free wi-fi, amenities), it was the perfect place to stay. I will be staying here on my next visit to Zurich.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo

Grüezi 7continents5oceans

Thank you very much for having been our guest and for sharing thoughts about your stay with other travellers and us.
What else is there to say from our side than Thank You – for appreciating the friendliness of our team members as well as the location and the features of our hotel.

It would be nice to welcoming you back to our historical, yet modern hotel.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

My wife and I were looking for a hotel in or near the Old Town section of Zurich, where most of the attractions (Kunsthaus, Opernhaus, etc,) are located. The Helmhaus Hotel was just off the Limmatquai, along the river, and only a few steps from a stop (the Helmhaus) on a major tram line (the very efficient tram system is a great way to get around in Zurich -- buy day passes if you don't have a Swissrail pass which covers local transport as well). We spent a week with Zurich as a base, also taking day trips via the very efficient Swiss rail system to Lucerne, Winterthur, and Interlaken (and the cog rail to the Jungfraujoch). Almost everything was within walkable distance if we didn't choose to take the tram.

A week's stay gave us a good chance to evaluate the staff, which we found to be uniformly cheerful and helpful, and most of them were quite knowledgeable, including knowing details that would ordinarily be beyond the knowledge of most hotel staffs (knowing that access to the Foundation Buhrle is only by previous appointment, for example), and they were able to provide several references to quite good restaurants off the beaten path, They are happy to print out walking directions for you for locations that may not be obvious, and will also let you know when things occur if they know you are interested. They knew we were interested in the cograil to the Jungfaujoch, and had monitored the automatic camera on the site for weather, so they could tell us that one day was the right day to take the trip. Breakfast is also quite good, with very helpful staff.

The rooms are not palatial, but are clean, large (for Switzerland), and well appointed. In Zurich, a very good to excellent value for those spending their own money!

I note that several Trip Advisor reviewers have rated the hotel as five stars. While I am not challenging their assessments, which may be right if they include value for the money, the hotel itself claims four stars (Swiss system, I believe) and I think that is well deserved, but would reserve five stars for hotels that offer real luxury beyond what this very nice Swiss hotel can provide. For us, it was delightful!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BobFran_11

Grüezi BobFran_11

Thank you very much for your recent stay with our little historical, yet modern Hotel Helmhaus. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay in Zurich.
A week’s stay is indeed a very good chance to evaluate a hotel’s staff over an extended period of time, and I am happy to know that our team members made your stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible during your time with us,
Delivering quality, not quantity is our aim, and I am glad to know that we could give a good time.

We wish you all the best and look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 23 October 2012

My first visit to Zurich, as usual I sought out a smaller, more personable hotel, and once again I was pleasantly rewarded.

The airport bus they recommend takes you right to the door in 20 minutes. The hotel cannot be more central and in an expensive city, the Helmhaus offers tremendous value for money.

I was in a single room, but an ideal size for a business traveller. Slept well, breakfasted well and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

The staff were first class and obviously have a passion and interest in providing a quality service - or is that just Swiss - and I shall definitely book again the next time I am in Zurich.

Thumbs up! Beautiful city too, and the Zeughauskeller is a must visit restaurant a five-minute walk across the river from the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Helmhaus, General Manager at Hotel Helmhaus, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Grüezi HeskimoUK

Thank you for your recent stay and for sharing your opinion with other travellers and us. It is a pleasure for us to know that your expecations about a smaller and more personable hotel in Zurich were pleasantly rewarded with your choice of staying with us.
Our aim is to deliver quality, not quantity – and if we can welcome you back in the future then we have achieved our aim for you.

We wish you all the best and look forward seeing you again in the smallest and most centrally located Four-Star hotel of Zurich.