“Outstanding”

Ranked #6 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Sydney, Australia
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

Pleasant and efficient service. From the moment we got out of the car till the moment we drove away, our experience was just superb. The stay was just too short.
The restaurant was excellent from the staff, the setting and atmosphere to the quality of the food. Also accommodating of children.
The door and reception staff were some of the most professional I have come across. I wish I could remember their names so I could give them credit personally.
The business centre was handy albeit modest. This could probably had a little spent on it considering the cost of a pc these days.
Located directly opposite the attractive architecture of the railway station and at the end of Bahnhofstrasse and some of the major banks, it was very handy for us. Minimal road noise even though we were right opposite the station.
Overall, very pleasant memories.

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong with any room.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
cleveland, ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

what a great hotel! the location is fabulous - right across the street from the train station and at the top of a fabulous shopping street. the customer service couldn't have been better. fresh fruit on every floor, 24/7, fruit and chocolates delivered to your room every night. a fabulous breakfast awaited us every morning. i only wish i could have stayed longer than 3 nights.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

We stayed here for 1 night during a flying visit to Zurich via Lucerne. It was a wonderful ending to our trip and the hotel was a great home from home in which to explore the fascinating city of Zurich. The staff and service were excellent, efficient, in a word faultless. My only minor criticism is the bar - better music, better selection of beer and bigger, please! Breakfast was fantastic - really met our expectations. So, all in all, well done to the staff at Schweizerhof for an excellent job - we would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

My mother and I stayed for about 10 days at this wonderful hotel. It was a longer stay than planned as my father had to have an unexpected operation at hospital in Zurich.

The hotel staff were extremely friendly, pleasant and helpful, often greeting us by name. They went above and beyond the expected, with personal touches like get well cards and Lindt treats during what was at times a stressful time due to my father's stay in hospital.

Reception, concierge, restaurant and hotel services staff were all wonderful, polite, and friendly.

The business centre had free internet access with printers - very convenient and useful.

The hotel's location could not be better - opposite the main train station and very convenient for trains, trams, shopping, etc. I loved being opposite the train station and seeing it from our balcony each day. The trams were a lovely background noise and not too loud at all.

Our room was very comfortable - big bed, fresh sheets, fluffy doona/duvet, with lovely touches like fresh fruit, Swiss chocolate, sweets, etc.

The bathroom was spacious and clean with plenty of toiletries.

The breakfast was AMAZING. Top quality, delicious and delectable treats at every turn - eggs, divine breads, rolls, pastries, cake, freshly squeezed orange juice, smoked trout and salmon, a variety of fresh fruits, yoghurt, jams, butter, and so on. It was just fantastic and a delicious way to start the day. I still think about it!

Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Schweizerhof twice, once in mid June and the second time, after the General Manager had asked me to give them another chance, at the beginning of July. On my first trip, I specifically asked for a room with a view over the Hauptbahnhof (train stations back good memories of my teenage years). They brought me to a room facing an internal courtyard, which meant that I had to be fully dressed at all times. When I asked for a change, I was told they were full, which I later discovered was hardly the case.
The valet who showed me up told me that all items in the minibar were free. As the items that were in it were not excessive or extravagant -- some chocolates, sodas, some modest alcohol -- I took him at his word, only to discover upon checking out that the cost of a bottle of local mineral water is what you pay in other countries for a glass of wine.
The bed in the single room was much too small. The TV was minuscule and old-fashioned. The staff were all extremely pleasant, however, and at some point in the afternoon, someone knocked on my door with a cart asking you what snack you would like.
If the breakfast had not been as delicious as it was, I would not give this hotel more than 3 stars. It was superb, and included in the room tariff, which, by the way, ain't cheap, but quite reasonable, I am given to understand, by Zurich standards!
I am not sure that I would stay here again, despite the great location and the great breakfast. It was just missing something. The personal touch. I asked for an adaptor for my room, and it had the label of the hotel plastered all around it, and the guy asked me for my room number. When I asked why, he responded, "To guarantee that it's returned, if not it will be charged automatically to your bill." This is a cheap plastic item which in my country at least you buy for the equivalent of CHF 2. I asked them to post a letter for me to Geneva one day, and they asked me for a CHF 1 coin. I was paying nearly CHF 400 per night for my room, and they still could not mail a letter for me for free.
As with all experiences, it's the little things...
On my return, after complaining, I was upgraded to a room with the desired view of the Hauptbahnhof (which then had scaffolding and cranes all around it). It was better, but the air-conditioning was still quite bad.

Room Tip: Small and bad air conditioning. Don't stay in a room looking on the internal courtyard because...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo