“Perfect location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Perfect location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

This i not my first time at the Wellenberg hotel, this is my hotel base in Zurich, located in the old city few meter from the Splendid bar (one of the best bars in Europe)
Choice of restaurants around the hotel.
Within walking distance from all Zurich attractions
No aircondition in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Philipp B, Leiter Front Office at Hotel Wellenberg, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Grüezi

First of all I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your preferred hotel in Zurich!
Hope to welcome you back soon.
Kindregards

Philipp Bode, Front Office Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We chosed Hotel Wellenberg because it offered a reasonable price and central location at www.booking.com compared to hotels situated closer to Bahnhofstrasse. My father paid for 3 nights in July 2011 SFR 261 for a DELUXE Room with Queensize bed each night. We went to the hotel late in the evening, and the street is blocked in the evening since it is a pedestrian zone. So, I needed to get out of the car and tell we were going to the hotel and we were allowed to go by car. We parked the car right in front of the hotel, but there was no parking space, so you do not really feel comfortable leaving the car on the street. Although, it does not seem to be a problem because it is a pedestrian zone. The check-in which was quickly done. The staff at the reception was not at all wellcoming. B. ut ok. We were all very surprised that no staff help to bring the suitcases to the room. So I offered to help, but since my car was standing outside the staff at the reception did not allow. Overall, the rooms are clean, modern and small but the service very bad. Since we experience other bad situations with the staff at the reception.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Philipp B, Leiter Front Office at Hotel Wellenberg, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Dear guest
First of all I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us and at the same time I would like to express my most sincere apology. the behavior of the front desk stuff is in no way a standard we would like to present. Please rest assured that I already contacted my team.
Yours sincerely,
Philipp Bode, Front Office Manager
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

We stayed at the Wellenberg hotel for two nights. We found the staff member at check in to be extremely rude, non caring and frankly quite stupid. Our room was not ready at check in time, we were told that this is a guarantee of the Wellenberg (we had flown in directly from Sydney and already had waited four hours for check in)
The location is great but very noisy if you want to go to bed at a reasonable hour..
A little disappointed ....

Room Tip: Don't get a room facing the cafes...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Bakewell, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

I picked this hotel as it was cheaper than the others in the same location. Which is great - very close to the train station and right in the heart of the old town where you can find plenty of cool shops and places to eat.

However, I definitely wouldn't say it was 4* - more like 3*. My room was a decent size and the shower was good. Breakfasts were okay. Service okay. Nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up one - it can be noisy close to the street
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

My husband and I recently stayed for 2 nights - mainly because we got a great deal on "otel.com" - it was not the greatest decision. As others have mentioned the hotel is not air-conditioned and we arrived during a heat wave. Our room was stifling hot all night even with the windows wide open. The noise from the surrounding bars and restaurants went on until at least 1am after which you could hear the noise of tables and chairs being banged about as staff cleaned up the outside areas - in addition, a major row among these staff went on until 2am. While I realise these issues are not the hotel's fault and I knew there was no air-conditioned when I booked, I guess I had appreciated how bad it would be. (Perhaps all hotel in Zurich of this standard are not air-conditioned). Speaking of standard - how this hotel gets rated as 4 star is beyond me.

As far as other aspects of the hotel are concerned: our standard room was reasonably spacious but with very dreary decor. The bathroom was very small and in need of refurbishment. The hotel provided one small desk fan when a ceiling fan or 2 large standing fans are really required. There was no luggage rack even though there was plenty of space for 1 or even 2. The room had a flat panel TV but it was in a very awkward position - beside the bed. The bed was OK - a queen with medium quality linen and 2 very poor pillows.

On the first morning the (included) breakfast was quite good; however, on the second morning the buffet was not ready at 6:45am (the stated start time) due to what appeared to be late arriving staff (I could be wrong on this front - maybe the late start is an everyday occurrence) - the buffet was not fully setup until 7:15am which was very problematic when you have an early train to catch.

All in all - next time in Zurich I would bite the bullet and go for quality and not price when selecting a hotel or better yet given the very high rates I would use hotel points for a free stay at one of the major chain hotels.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple