New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #27 of 134 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Proximity to the station is the only positive”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

Disappointed with this hotel for a number of reasons, I rarely am so negative about a hotel but this one is just not for me, nor should it be for any business traveller.
The positive is that it is a 5 minute walk from the station, good if you have an early morning departure.
The negatives, the area itself is very concrete, very little in the area, it's not a nice part of town. No cafes, or restaurants.
The hotel decor is very dated, think mid 80s too much timber and bad lounge furniture. Similar to a bad German youth hostel. There are no hotel facilities such as a gym, pool or sauna.
The room I had was very small, it was half a bed and looked onto an internal courtyard.

There was a large group of pensioners staying there, old people in a business hotel do not really work. Some of us are in a hurry...which brings me to service.

Normally can look past fixed features if the service is good. Here it was a failure. Whilst check in staff are efficient, albeit not enough of them, the restaurant staff are a disappointment. Having arrived for breakfast at 7:20 there were approx 15 other diners, most having buffet, I ordered the low carb breakfast which was a collection of cold stuffs plus an egg.I explained I had to catch a train so please don't take too long. By 7:35 nothing had arrived, not even the yoghurt. When I asked about this I was told "it needed to be cooked" Really? The yoghurt?, "Yes it needs to be cooked". I asked for part of the meal to come but this was "not possible" and was then told "I should have come earlier". By this point it was not possible for me to receive the food and have time to eat it, such a shame as I would have thought 25 minutes would be OK. Aren't I fool?

Turns out they have just one person in the kitchen, bit breakfast is a high CHF33.

Overall it was the attitude of the wait staff, in particular the tall youngish man with blond hair which made this stay awful. I have mentioned this to my company travel service who were not pleased I had to leave without food.

Bad part of town, basic hotel, service not good enough for business traveller. Oh and a high price, CHF240 for a single bed!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Wayoutback99
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
OMG! I am so shocked to read about your very un-Continental like experience and terribly sorry for your inconveniences with our breakfast service. Please accept my most sincere apology. I have launched an immediate investigation as I don't take such an appalling behaviour of any of my staff lightly. Why you weren't offered to help yourself at our buffet, I can only wonder. This will have serious consequencens for all employees involved.
Of course I am also sorry to read that you didn't like our decor style, but I understand that our traditional Swiss Chalet-inpsired decor is not everybodys taste. This also goes for your comment on our clientele. We are proud to have a well balanced guest segmentation, including all ages, nationalities and travel purpose. In fact we have many regular clients that love our non-corporate atmosphere. But then why should there be different hotel styles if everybody liked the same thing, anyhow? Your feedback is appreciated as it will only help us to improve our services and I will take care of it for sure. Once again I apologize for these unpleasant moments. Sincerely, Monica Voegeli
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

This hotel was our first hotel in Switzerland and was supposed to be a quick stay before heading for the mountains. The hotel is a bit of a walk heading away from the old town but we were pleasantly surprised with a nice sized and very clean room. The staff at the front desk were friendly and intent on being helpful with directions to the sights in the city. For travelers wanting to be within an easy walk of the city and open to a longer walk to the old town and lake, this is the place to be.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I'm delighted you enjoyed memorable moments with us. Best regards, Monica Voegeli
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a family vacation. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpfull. The breakfast was good and the location excellent. It was close to the city center, shopping, bus line, train station, etc.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for having taken the time to review us on Tripadvisor. Best regards, Monica Voegeli
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Don't let the facade fool you. Inside the doors of this building is a beautiful hotel. The hotel maintains a Swiss feel while offering guests every possible modern convenience. The showers are heavenly! Wi-Fi is free and fast. The breakfast room is elegant with many tasty options. The location of this hotel is perfect - convenient to the main train station but in a quiet part of the city. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I'll be happy to pass on your compliments to my team, as this really makes our day, so thank you. Best regards, Monica Voegeli