“Thank goodness we had only booked one night”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Villette

Hotel Villette
Ranked #133 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Chester, United Kingdom
“Thank goodness we had only booked one night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2010

The smell of stale food and toilets was disgusting.
We were charged more than it said on board - extremely overpriced
Room was behind the reception desk
One towel and two tiny soaps was all that was provided in bathroom - crack in sink and mould in shower
Single duvet on double bed thrown sideways so our feet stuck out all night.
Very noisy street
Television very fuzzy
Breakfast only mediocre bread and jam and horrible coffee
Absolute nightmare -would never go near it again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Brig08
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

We were not kindly received - not welcoming at all. We were forced to pay by card immediately on arrival - otherwise they would have cancelled our confirmed booking for three nights. We suggested payment by cash the day after arrival but were denied. We had breakfast at the hotel the first morning. Not even the bread was acceptable. The following mornings we preferred to have breakfast at nearby Starbucks Café. The room and the cleanliness was OK for the price. We should not complain too much about the noise in the street at night - it's probably out of the staff''s control. The strong smell of indian curry kitchen might be acceptable in the restaurant if you are prepared of it. In the rest of the house it's unpleasant.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bofink

Travellers are raving about these Zurich hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2010

This hotel gave us the worst experience ever. We booked this hotel via booking.com. When checked in, the receptionist demanded additional 25 Euro to pay for an upgrade room because the room we booked was sold out. We had a long arguement and after spending AUS$300 on the phone call to booking.com, nothing was resolved. When I returned to the hotel, I was being told that our booking was cancelled so we could just leave while they're serving another angry customer who apparently received the room they initially offered us. That night I found an email from booking.com saying my credit card would be charged for one night fee due to that cancellation. After 12 Euro on the phone to booking.com, I managed to get a confirmation that this hotel would not charge us anything. The inconvenience which caused was unbearable, the money, time and energy...we were standing in the pouring rain for 3-4 hours and had to look for another hotel at 9pm. The location might be good for this hotel but I promise you it's not worth it!! I was at the reception for 10 minutes and covered by the smell of strong curry cooking downstairs so even though we ended up paying 80 Euro more expensive in nearby hotel, we're glad not to stay in Hotel Villette. I am sharing this experience as dealing with them really ruined the first day of our holiday in Swiss and I do not wish anyone will go through what we did.

• Stayed June 2010
3 Thank N4NC1
Southampton, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel while in town for a friends wedding. At first I was extremely impressed with the location, but soon shortly after that seemed of less and less importance due to the fact of the overall smell of this hotel. There is an indian restaurant right underneath this hotel, and all the rooms and the hotel seem to have a smell of stale greasy food to them. The room itself was also not the cleanest, and the shower had hardly any pressure nor hot water. I have stayed at strange, small hotels throughout europe, but this one I would never return to. My bf and I had to buy air fresheners and constantly use them because the smell when you woke up was making us sick. Our clothes slowly started to smell, which for me was embarrassing and disgusting. They also claimed to have a "Continental" breakfast, which is a SCAM. All you get is a gross basket of bread and some jams and really bad coffee. Overall I would NEVER stay here again. Unless you are in dire need of a one nights sleep in the center of the city, go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zo0sha
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2009

I arrived in Zurich via air for a 4-day trip in early Dec without any hotel booking. Tried to do some internet booking at the airport but it failed. In the end I used the Tourist Information Centre at the Zurich Main Station (free service). Upon checking, only 2 hotels were available for 3 consecutive nights. One was a 4* hotel and the other one Hotel Villette, a 1* hotel as informed by the personnel at the tourist information centre. The difference is about CHF40 per night. I didn't choose the former because it's a bit out of town, a few stations by tram, have to pay extra for breakfast, and internet access is not free. Hotel Villette on the other hand is located in the Old Town, have breakfast and free WIFI internet access. So with some reservation, I made the reservation for 3 nights.

So bearing in mind that this is a 1* hotel, the following are my comments.

The Good:
- Location, which is in the Old Town and thus within walking distance to almost all places of interests in Zurich. And despite it being located in the Old Town, it's located in a quiet alley which ensures a good night sleep.
- Room is quite roomy, mattress and pillows are good, sheets are new and clean. Everything else, nothing fancy.
- The bathroom is OK (shower only, not bath tub), clean with basic toiletries.
- Free breakfast, though it's only slices of bread with jams and butter and tea/coffee.
- Personal service - because, as highlighted in one of the previous comments, the lady (a Thai with a quite good command of English, and German, I think) who is the receptionist is also the waiter during breakfast and the chambermaid.
- Free WIFI internet - though in the end I must say I didn't actually use it.

The Not-So-Good:
- The reception, located on the 2nd floor, is small, and doesn't look like a hotel reception.
- Room has no fancy view.
- The lady who is the receptionist is also the waiter during breakfast and the cleaner. Despite this, she is good and friendly.
- Breakfast is minimal, not a buffet. The bread and drink (tea/coffee) are unlimited though upon request :-)
- The lady stays until around 5 or 6 pm only and afterwards, you'd need to call a mobile no. for check in.
- The main door is locked in the late evening but along with your room key, you'll also get the key for the main door.
- Quite expensive, but then so is everything else in Switzerland :-)

To me, the hotel is actually more comparable to a 2* or 3* Bed & Breakfast in the UK, in some cases, even better. Looking past the room price (or any price tag in Zurich, for that matter :-D), I would certainly wouldn't mind going back to the hotel in the future.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo