“Wonderful experience!”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 12 August 2017

After reading reviews for dozens and dozens of Zurich restaurants, I finally settled on trying La Tavolata, and I'm really glad I did! First of all, they do online reservations, and even though we ended up not needing one (the place was nearly empty at 6:30 on a Saturday), I appreciated not having to deal with the language barrier over the phone.

Now to the food-- everything we tried was excellent! I ordered the house pasta and my husband ordered the gnocchi. Our amazing server told us that the pasta would take awhile, so he provided complimentary antipasto and bread to tide us over. Who does that, especially in overpriced Zurich?? He also assured us that the small portions of the pasta would be plenty (he was right), and we greatly appreciated his not trying to oversell us.

Both the pasta and the gnocchi were wonderful. La Tavolata serves Sardinian food, so everything is a little different from your ordinary Italian cuisine. Our server recommended we try a traditional Sardinian dessert--an empanada-like fried cheese pie--and it was also amazing, as was the housemade tiramisu.

This restaurant was a much appreciated break from the heavy Swiss, German, and Austrian food we had eaten far too much of on the rest of our vacation. It's also an extraordinary value for Zurich. Table water, 2 glasses of wine, a beer, the two small pasta dishes, and two desserts came to only 87 francs, including tax and the 2.5% they charge for using a credit card. If we're ever in Zurich again, we'll definitely be back!

2  Thank Victorianista
Melis G, Manager at La Tavolata Zum Grobe Ernst, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Tnks so mutch

Reviewed 22 July 2017

My wife and I visited 6 cities during a 2-week vacation in Switzerland and La Tavolata was our favorite restaurant out of all of them!

They have indoor/outdoor seating. The inside is warmly decorated and quite charming. It also has air conditioning, which is great for hot summer days. The food and service are both outstanding. Our waiter Mauro was very personable.

A new owner took over the restaurant in early 2017 with a team from Sardinia, Italy. They brought some unique Mediterranean recipes with them from their home town. I had the Dorado and my wife had the Ziti with pancetta. Both were delicious!

I highly recommend this restaurant! They are just a 5 minute walk from Grossmunster church in Old Town and half a block from the Limmat River.

Reviewed 20 June 2017 via mobile

I took 40 guests from 17 different countries to dinner here. Giovanni the owner met s at the door with cool refreshing Prosecco and the evening could begin.
We all enjoyed ourselves and the waiters were attentive, happy and polite.
Giovanni join us at the table when he could and added that special something which many restaurants lack these days.
Would I return?
Most definitely in fact I can't wait.

Reviewed 15 June 2017

We wandered around Zurich after arriving and happened upon this fine restaurant. The service was excellent and unpretentious and the food was absolutely delicious. If I lived in Zurich it would be one of my regular go to places.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

We found this restaurant by happenstance and were delighted with our find. The room is small and tastefully decorated in a country/rustic style which is casual and intimate. The waiter was knowledgeable, pleasant and attentive. He was especially helpful with regard to the selection of an excellent wine. The food was simply presented, but excellent. The four people in our party all ordered different items. No one was disappointed.