“Best hotel in Lausanne”

Lausanne Palace & Spa
Ranked #3 of 45 Hotels in Lausanne
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Quality traditional Swiss institution favoured by the cognescenti. Large spacious well appointed room that always smelled fresh after it was serviced. Spacious area with comfortable bed and great shower and bath. Lots of storage space for clothes.
Sugegst that you book regular room and look to upgarde on arrival. You get a much better deal on a lakeside room. Worth the stunning view over Lake Geneva. Excellent restaurants and good breakfast. Free wifi and breakfast included in our reservation - a bonus in Switzerland!
Would go back

Room Tip: I would look to stay on 4th/5th floor to get better view of lake.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 September 2012

Lausanne was a one night stopover on our way from Paris to Wengen. We flew to Geneva, rented a car and went to Lausanne to get a feel for French Switzerland before heading to German Switzerland. As soon as we arrived at Lausanne Palace, we were welcomed warmly and shown to our beautiful, spacious and comfortable rooms (junior suites) overlooking the lake and the town with our own small balcony. But probably the best part was Matt, (from Canada) the porter who gave us so much information about where to go, what to see, how to get places (and even suggestions on the club scene for our 20 and 22 year old daughters) that we were able to hit the ground running as soon as we settled in. The breakfast brunch was plentiful and good and dinner at the hotel brasserie was lively and fun. Thanks to Matt, and the concierges, we even found the wineries that produced what came to be my favorite white wine in Switzerland, Epesses, and stopped there on our way to Montreux to see the Chateau de Chillon.
We are only sorry we didn't plan on 2 nights at the Lausanne Palace - but we will return! Thanks Matt!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a lakeview room, and one with a small balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank c2gil
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Our room was very spacious, and whereas the longer dimension for a hotel room is usually front-to-back, here it was side to side, giving lots of balcony space and two large picture windows looking out over Lausanne. The beds were large and comfortable and there was plenty of cupboard space / safe. I can't say that I was much of a fan of the dark tiles in the bathroom, but again, the space was wonderful. We had a bath with handheld shower, a separate shower cubicle, a loo space that you could close off from the rest of the bathroom (should it be necessary!) two basins and plenty of shelf space. Towels were replaced twice a day, assuming that you don't take the usual hotel option of hooking them up to show you'll keep them, and we had a small and a large towel each.
There was a decent number of power sockets around the room, including one in the bathroom for straighteners (the hairdryer being hard wired to the wall. Nice hairdryer too - adjustable, powerful and you don't have to hold the button down to keep it working). We has foolishly assumed that Switzerland would use the standard North European two-pin plugs. We were wrong, but luckily the hotel loans out adaptors.
The location is good for the town, but a fair walk to the lake; with hindsight we might have chosen somewhere closer. It was the uphill walk back that made my muscles ache the next day. For the station and the old town though, it was excellent.
Overall, I really rated this hotel. The quality showed through in every last fitting, the attentive room service and the friendly, efficient staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Monk-san
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed here when I was on business in Lausanne, and even though it's not setup as a business hotel, it ticked all the boxes and was great. The accommodation was wonderful, and whilst I didn't get a chance to experience all of the other amenities, it was a great stay. The staff are attentive and helpful and very welcoming, and we're happy to help with suggestions for getting around.

Now onto my biggest surprise of my trip to this venue, I ordered a room service burger for a meal one evening when I was too tired to venture out, sadly it was my last night at the hotel. Now before I talk about this burger, bear in mind I've travelled hundreds of thousands of miles, across many continents and countries, and spent a lot of time in the USA, chasing down the ultimate burger (so de classe of me I know!), and it's very much down to the chef that cooks the burger, but this burger was, bar none, the very best burger I've ever had in my entire life! I kid you not, who'd have thought I'd find the very best burger *ever*, firstly in a hotel, secondly in Switzerland (not famous for burgers!). However I also understand that the chef or cook that made it has a huge impact on the burger, but if it's the same chef that I had, and you order one, you'll be in for a treat.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Beautiful hotel in the heart of Lausanne. My room, not a suite, was by far the largest I have ever stayed in (for Europe). Beautiful terrace outside the room with the mountains/lake in the background. Reason for the 4 stars? The bed was hard as a rock -- two twins pushed together, I kept falling "in the crack" :). Otherwise, a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business