“Generally excellent”

Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in St. Moritz
London
“Generally excellent”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My wife, our three children and I have stayed here twice now. The hotel itself is excellent, we really like the more contemporary style. But we have had a few glitches with the ski school.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Winterthur, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed in Kempinski St. Moritz based on an event from our car dealer. The prices are very reasonable, but the concept is different in regard to the expectation of a five star hotel in St. Moritz. The location is not very attractive. In wintertime you will hardly catch some sun overthere and the hotel is surrounded by ugly looking buildings. The walking distance to the center of the village is 25 mintues, by very quick walk. Most of the time the individual transfer was not possible, even when we offered to pay for it. There is a huge fitness and SPA area but it was not possible to relax as the pool was fully crowded by children in the later afternoon. The design of the swimming area is extremely cold and there is no whirlpool for at least some massage pipes. The rooms are nicely equiped, the bathrooms are too small for such a hotel category, but it fits to the reasonable price. In comparison to the other five star hotels it is for sure the one on the end, we stayed in all of them.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CAH72
Kempinski M, Manager at Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains St. Moritz, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear guest

First of all I would like to thank you for your valuable and honest feedback. Regrettably, I have learned that the hotel did not meet your expectations.

You are absolutely right; our concept distinguishes itself from other 5 star hotels in St. Moritz by its sportive, elegant and not so traditional ambience, yet a 5 star luxury hotel. I can certainly understand that our location might not be of advantage for you but for most of our guests. The Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains is one of the few hotels in St Moritz, with direct access to the ski area. We are only 3 minutes walking distance from the cable car that takes you to the top of the beautiful mountains within few minutes. To visit the village centre the hotel gladly and regularly provide a shuttle service, nevertheless individual requests are not always possible.

As a resort, many families chose our hotel for their vacations, especially during the school holidays. Hence in order to fulfil all guests’ needs and wishes, children are welcome in our pool every day until 7 pm. Here I must appeal to your understanding towards the “little guests”.
I can guarantee you that normally the SPA is not as crowded as it was the last weeks.

Last but not least I have to say that unfortunately I don’t know in which room you have stayed, but I can assure you that we have different categories as well as different room sizes.

With kindest regards

The General Manager
Kempinski Grand Hotel des Bains
Switzerland
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We (myself, wife and 19 year old son) have just returned after a 6 day snowboard/ski holiday based at this wonderful hotel. Everything was brilliant - the three restaurants are out of this world and the breakfast has to be seen to be believed. The fitness room is well equipped and large, as is the sauna area. There is also a decent sized swimming pool. Best of all was the service - every single staff member in this hotel makes you feel welcome and works professionally and efficiently, but in a relaxed manner as if nothing is too much trouble. The team in the ski room/shop had our boots (nicely warmed up) and boards ready for us in the morning. Forget the cold and damp ski rooms that you usually get - this is luxury! When we left, the porters took all 10 pieces of luggage from our room as well as our winter sports equipment and packed it all into our car whilst we enjoyed lunch in the bar. Amazing service! We paid about Fr. 5900 for a Classic Junior Suite for 5 nights including breakfast. The suite was easily big enough for three people. In a nutshell, if you are going to St. Moritz, try this hotel, you will definitely not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank karate_boss
Amsterdam
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Kempinski for 3 nights when we participated in a car event on one of the surrounding ice lakes. I have stayed in a lot of hotels but this one tops them all. In splendor, ambiance, food, drinks but most of all: service.
Everyone greets you with a smile and is very helpful in any way they can.
Our 3 day stay always ended in the hotelbar. You just can't help yourself but order another cocktail from the 56 pages menu!
So indulge yourself and stay in the Kempinski. Hotel is expensive but worth it.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor and had excellent view of the surrounding mountains.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 24 January 2012

So I recently found myself "stuck" in St Moritz for an evening (terrible dilemma I must say) I chose to stay at the Kempinski for the evening, and it looked like a nice place to stay.. I made a last minute booking and walked in. It took a couple minutes to check in as most guests plan their arrival unlike me.. Nonetheless this was no inconvience, I got to enjoy the warm, spectacular lobby, and I was even treated to a drink (Something you wouldn't expect in Europe) I was finally escorted to my room. I honestly booked the standard room, and had low expectations. What I found was an oasis of comfort in this vast city of -10 temperature. The room was just what I needed and more. I can say the web site, and some other reviews can't do justice. I was very satisfied, and I have stayed at a few grand hotels in my day.
On to the pool/spa.. Flawless, I could go on and on about what you get when you stay here. I am sure you all get the picture. On the day of my departure, went to breakfast which is comped for all guest. Again I have stayed at decent hotels worldwide. What I came to was a buffet that would rival the great breakfast buffets of Asia. The grandeur of the dining room rivaled the St Regis in Bali with of course snow outside instead of Sun and Ocean. Although not a massive selection of this and that, what you have is a fine selection of the best. Lets just say when I went to get blackberry jam for my toast, I had the inconvenience of having to choose from about 4 different blackberry jams! There was a table just for jam, and honey! The service was top notch. Of course you would expect this from a hotel which averages around $1000 a night or so in the winter season, but what I experienced was the staff at breakfast, and in general going above and beyond their jobs. There was also a kids table which was pretty cool.
I didn't want to leave, but all great experience must come to an end (well I guess unless you are a billionaire lol) After checking out, I had a hickup or two ([--] happens of course) When I got in contact with the hotel for a resolution the General Manager Rupert Simoner (not some desk jockey) got in touch with me right away, and like all his staff went above and beyond his duties to make sure I was a happy guest after I checked out. I have to give it to Mr Simoner, he does a hell of a job running this hotel, and all I can say is A+++ Stay at the Grand Hotel des Bains, and you will have a hotel impression which will last forever.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business