All reviews roof terrace bottled water old town great rail journeys quaint hotel shower curtain train station stayed here for nights glacier express traditional swiss hotel quiet street tour group air con church bells separate room st moritz within easy walking distance
Reviewed 16 April 2016 via mobile

Stayed here with Great Rail Journeys. Warm welcome from all staff and manager, staff smart, efficient and friendly and in traditional Swiss dress. Welcome drink. Food good. Bedroom pine furnishings, traditional, clean and very comfortable. A walk away from both Chur old and new towns. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
AdrianChur, Inhaber at Romantik Hotel Stern, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2016

Many thanks Paul for your kind feedback and until we meet again - best regards from Chur,

Reviewed 15 April 2016

Chur (pronounced like a mangy dog) is the oldest city in Switzerland and this hotel is the ideal place to stay if you want to soak up traditional old Swissiness. It is on the edge of the old town about 10 mins brisk walk from the station. Pretty much everything inside is wood apart (I think) from very helpful staff dressed in traditional Swiss costume.

Our room was a good size with a big soft bed, plenty of woodiness and a view onto a remaining bit of city wall. Apart from the restaurant there are no facilities other than the breakfast room and another sitting room. The breakfast was pretty good with decent quality meats and cheeses along with the usual Swiss breakfast stuff.

Dinner was expensive, very traditional and done well. But despite flawlessly cooked rostie and smoked Engadine sausages and a nice bit of dried pear there was not much to get excited about. But I think the Swiss keep most of their excitement for mountains and banking. There seemed to be a good choice of restaurants in town.

Friendliness, Swissiness and the location are the main strengths of this hotel, with a good days worth of wandering around the old town with its upmarket restaurants and shops.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you Hayrick for your kdind feedback and sharing your observations with fellow travellers - hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back one day.
Always safe and comfortable journeys,

Reviewed 2 April 2016

Very friendly welcome and helpful reception.Room small but adequate,very convenient for the old town.lovely breakfast and tasty dinner,however had a better meal for less at the Falken Cafe 5 mins away.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you Murphy21455 for staying with us - and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back one day.
Always a safe trip,

Reviewed 18 March 2016

We had made reservations (and received confirmation) from the sister hotel of Hotel Stern, Hotel ABC - but when we went to check in we were told our reservation was not for March but for May 2016 and that the hotel was fully booked! With that we made our way back to the train station and to Chur's Tourist Information Office. There we made a booking for Hotel Stern where we selected a room with a larger bed (and were prepared to pay the extra price for this type of room).

We were told that the hotel was a 10 minute walk from the train station, yes, this is true, but it is a up a slight incline, so with heavy cases, I have to admit I was a bit knackered by the time we found the hotel.

Anyway, after checking in we made our way to our room. Well, put it this way, I was not impressed in the slightest! The room was very small and the double bed nearly took up the whole room. My husband and I have both a suitcase each as we are travelling for 1 month, and we simply had no room to put our cases anywhere, let alone open them. And as for the bathroom, don't worry about trying to swing a cat in there, you'd have trouble swinging anything in there it was so small.

I left my husband in the room and returned to Reception to complain. I explained to the Receptionist the situation and she said that she would upgrade us but the next 'tier' of room was all booked out, so if we wanted the next level up from that again, we would need to pay an additional CHF 20.00 (which she told me would normally be an extra CHF 60.00). I agreed to pay the extra, and she said that we were now getting the best room in the hotel.

Well I have to say, if Room 212 is their best room, then don't even bother with this hotel. The room is a standard room, with two single beds joined together (as is the norm in Europe). From the description of the room we were told at the Tourist Information Office, this is the room I believe we should have got in the first place. We're not talking a luxury suite here - I still had to place my suitcase on the floor to access it, because the luggage rack was way too narrow.

And this hotel is meant to be 4 star - well we didn't even have a mini bar in our room!

The following morning, we had breakfast before getting on the Bernina Express (the reason we had come to Chur). I have to say the breakfast was very ordinary, with a limited range, especially in the way of hot food, and the waitress literally threw my cappuccino down on the table.

For CHF 256.00 for a double room, this hotel is certainly not deserving of a 4 star rating and is way overpriced even by Swiss standards.

Not sure where to recommend to stay in Chur given our poor experience by supposedly the best 2 hotels in the town.

Room tip: Room 212 is the hotel's best room supposedly!
1  Thank Lydia H
AdrianChur, Inhaber at Romantik Hotel Stern, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2016

Thank you Mullaghbawn for staying with us on your recent trip to Chur and Switzerland and am sorry to learn from you lines that we did not achieve of our goal.
Best regards,
Adrian K.

Reviewed 15 March 2016

I have been there with my wife. The room was nice, not huge, but cozy and everything well working and new. Receptionist a bit slow but very nice. Location perfect, at the beginning of the old town. My only complain is that the cost is a bit high for what this hotel is. But I am not expert of Swiss Hotels and from the little I know, Swiss Hotels are very expensive, in comparison to other states. So probably the price is correct. For sure the breakfast room was very nice, romantic and quite and intimate. The breakfast itself was very rich, very fresh, with lot of different food. I know the restaurant too is very good, but we went for a dinner out so I don't know.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you so much alf1Milano für staying with us and the kind feedback you provided ! Well, maybe one day we can welcome you back and it would be our entire pleasure to have you than try our restaurant the Veltliner Weinstuben zum Stern.
Meanwhile all the best,