“the alps!”

florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“the alps!”
Reviewed 5 February 2007

I highly recommend that if you're going to Europe to check out the Swiss Alps. I went to Mt. Pilatus, and saw the most amazing view of my entire life. I was on a Contiki tour, and we only stayed in the Switzerland/Austria area for several days, but I would go back and stay there for an entire vacation! Get out and hike all that you can, you'll never forget the scenery.

20 Thank mollytraveler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Turkish first
London
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Boat / train / cable-car / toboggan”
Reviewed 28 August 2006

We took the round-trip. Took a boat from Lucern Main Station, which took 90 minutes. Then went up the mountain on the steepest railway in the world (48 degrees). I was worried in advance, but in fact it was very enjoyable. The views at the top are stunning, and there are cafes etc to have a sit-down and cofee. We then took a big cable-car (about 20 people) down a short way, then changed into smaller cars (2-4 people). At the bottom we took the bus back to Lucern (about 5 minutes). It was a fabulous day.

At the stop on the way down, where we changed into the smaller cars, there is a toboggan run, on a metal "run" rather than snow. My daughter and I did this and we LOVED it. You sit on little metal "carts", which have a brake if you're worried. When you get to the bottom they hook you onto a ift and you are dragged back up again, backwards. You get very close to cows! At the same stop there is also a tree-tops adventure course, which we would have loved to do if we had had more time. There seems to be an early-bird cost advantage in getting to the toboggan run early, so I would recommend you go up Mount Pilatus in the opposite direction to us. Start at the cable car side, spend a couple of hours on the toboggan and tree-tops, go to the summit, then come down via the train and boat.

73 Thank Fern3
Auckland, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Fabulous views not to be missed”
Reviewed 9 July 2006

I stayed her for 2 nights and it was the most amazing views right on top of the mountain. Iwent in in winter time where there was just snow everywhere and it looked like christmas. We went up in gondolas (4 to each one) and then it stops off half way up and everyone enters a big tram and it takes you to the top. They have a little souvenir shop up there also. The hotel was very nice. Our room was very big however the bathroom was quite small and the shower was the tinest thing ive ever been it!. However if you want to go for the views this is the best place. At night the sun used to set right outside our room, it was soo beautiful, you will never get better views than this place. The staff were friendly however we had a party in the hotel (i went with a tour group) and they wouldnt give you any water from the bar, you had to go and take water from the bathroom because they wanted you to buy alcohol from their bar which is fair enough but not even water!!, not everyone wants to get drunk. Anyway apart from this it was a great place. I would definately recommend it to others. Dress up warmly. Some people can get a bit light headed due to the altutute (7000 feet up) but no one from my tour group experienced this.

30 Thank Jada007
A TripAdvisor Member
“Mount Pilatus is awe-inspiring.”
Reviewed 14 July 2005

Dear Traveler,

I've been to Europe four times in the past 15 years, hit 85% of the countries, and the Mount Pilatus is still my favorite euro destination.

If you ever frequent Switzerland, take a couple days in Lucerne and spend a full day on the Pilatus Kulm tour.

First on the roundabout tour, a boat brings you from the city of Lucerne over glacial waters to Mount Pilatus. From the base you take inclined railroad cars to the summit.

It is from the summit that I've witnessed the most astonishing views on earth. Located here are couple hotels and a restaurant to make your stay more wonderful (make reservations way in advance/not the best hotels but the greatest hotel views).

From the summit you can take the semi-safe trails to the mountain's precipice and really get a feel of the Alps (don't look down!). What a great place to propose to your significant other. Everyone I know does the Millenium Park Chicago proposal. Blah! At a restaurant? how original!!!

On the way down you take a large 10 person gonola to station one-the operator, with his view, has by far the best job on earth. From here you take individual 1-4 person gondolas to the base. (Get in the large gondola early so your not stuck in the middle with a bad view). From the base you take the boat back. From the pier buy a loaf of bread and feed the swans and ducks. Don't let the swans eat out of your hand they nip! Oh, theres a couple ugly ducking black swans there that no one feeds...feed those!

tips:
-bring a jacket and a camera.
-wear comfortable shoes
-check the forecast to avoid the overcast views
-go early in the morning so you can maximize your stay.
-For djs, bring your IPOD. Uplifting trance music is the perfect accompanyment to this excursion, I can't explain it just do it.

pros:
-all around great package deal with some of the world's most spectacular views.
-a great place to frequent alone, with your significant other, family, friends

cons:
a bit "touristy" for those of you who love seclusion

overall:
5/5 stars. (I never gave a rating this high except for parts in Alaska).

happy travels