All reviews noodle soup train station old town nice hotel within walking distance facing the street chapel bridge table fan the river bathroom light nice breakfast hot water main building quiet area spacious room breakfast spread the breakfast area
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Room was small & the decor was shabby & stuck in the 1970's. Not what I would expect of a 3 star hotel. Breakfast was not very appetising. Also, I made the mistake of buying a drink from the machine in the hotel, and only after drinking it, did I realise it was 7 months out of date. I complained to reception, and suggested they check all their machines, but they didn't seem very interested. These machines are also very noisy, so if you are unlucky enough to get a room close to them (which I was) you don't get a very good night's sleep. Not somewhere I will be going back to in a hurry.

Date of stay: August 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank pclondon_10
Reviewed 10 August 2010

When it comes down to it, Lucerne is a pricey city. This is probably as cheap as the decently nice hotels come there. The room was very clean and comfortable, the staff was somewhat helpful, and the location was walking distance (without bags) from the station. I would recommend it to another traveller.

Date of stay: July 2010
Reviewed 31 July 2010

Good location. decent room, ok breakfast. reasonable rate for internet access compared to other hotels in switzerland that we stayed in - 5 francs/day.

But the reception staff was quite rude and brusque with us the couple of times we asked them for directions to local sightseeing spots.

Date of stay: July 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2010

This hotel is excellently located: just one block from the town centre. The neighbourhood is nice and quiet. However, I saw a couple of bars/pubs around that could appeal to the younger. One is inside the hotel.
They don’t have their own parking, but just at a stone throw from the hotel there’s the city centre’s parking facility, where for a reasonable flat rate you can park for a few days, exiting and re-entering whenever you want (keep the ticket).
The exterior is charming, the interior more anonymous, with some signs of age, but not to the extent bleak, or just uncomfortable. The room was small, but well equipped and functional, all in all comfortable. Although it’s a three star, we had a bathtub. Such a small one, I could hardly dip into, but which afforded me a nice, hot, relaxing bath, with my legs stretched up against the wall (which is healthier for one’s veins, after all). Smaller travellers may appreciate it even more. Water was abundant and smoking hot. Also excellent to drink, as it is usual on the Alps. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. I was attracted by an old radio alarm clock that was part of the fixtures, charming for its vintage look. Only, I was not able to reset the hour, when I realized it was half an hour back (well, yes, old Switzerland is not what it used to be: in Vevey I even noticed that in the tower clock the dial facing east was five minutes ahead of the one facing south!). The TV was probably not working, but I’m not sure, because we didn’t bother to find out.
The staff at the reception was friendly, not that of the kitchen and in the buffet. The latter is the sad note about the place. The buffet is not exciting, but in line with this category of hotels. Only, it seems to be poorly supplied, which is made worse by the strange unclear layout; so that it takes you a while to realize whether something is over, not supplied at all, or you can’t find it. Asking someone of the numerous staff is of no avail: they show an inexplicable touchiness with shades of paranoia at being asked questions, and start expostulating before one has had a chance of uttering a phrase. An English lady who couldn’t take sugar couldn’t find the least help, and had to make up with what she could find herself. Furthermore, they’re excessively concerned with breakfast deadline (10:00 am), not missing an occasion to remind customers. I overheard it many times. Another example: a couple next to me had already been having breakfast for a while, when, at 10:08 am, he stood up to get himself something. In no time a woman rushed to his seat asking his wife if she could clear his cover. At the obvious answer, she replied: “But I must take it away, the end is ten o’ clock!”, although she then reluctantly let it stay where it was.
Check out time is 11:00 am.

Date of stay: May 2010
1  Thank Ciapino
Reviewed 20 May 2010

My husband and I recently stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during our trip to Switzerland. The hotel is quite nice. We had a superior room which was quite big (by Europen standards). The bed was comfortable and cozy. The bathroom was nice too. The furniture is little old and can be upgraded.

The location of the hotel was great. Just a 10-15 mins walk from the station and 5 mins walk to the river side. Breakfast was good with suasages, eggs, fruits, breads and nice juice. The bar downstairs was quite nice and had good food.

The receptionist (oh! I forgot his name) was very very helpful. He gave us a warm welcome as soon as we reached the hotel. He also guided us on the places to see and gave us a map too.

Overall a great experience!

Date of stay: April 2010