New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Nice room/breakfast, okay location, staff not very professional” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Europe

Grand Hotel Europe
Ranked #36 of 68 Hotels in Lucerne
Washington, DC
“Nice room/breakfast, okay location, staff not very professional”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

My room was spacious and clean and the breakfast was varied and quite good.

The location of the hotel is both convenient and inconvenient depending on what you want. It is right next to a bus stop that is directly connected to town (convenient), but is a fair walk from most of the main attractions in Lucerne (inconvenient).

The front desk staff was only marginally interested in helping me/answering questions/making reservations and I ran into a few problems with the housekeeping staff. First, one was mopping right in front of the breakfast room during breakfast with no wet floor sign. I slipped and fell--as a young person, this was more annoying than painful, but I shudder to think what might have happened to an older person. After breakfast, a man who never identified himself, but could have been a manager, confronted me and told me to be careful in the future--basically blaming me for slipping. Of course, I noticed that they had since put up wet floor signs, so...this harassment was in contrary to customer service principles and really soured my morning.

I went upstairs to change and get out of there, when a maid entered my room (while I was changing) without even knocking to clean. This was at about 10am--two hours before checkout time.

I say weigh these pros and cons and see what deals are out there--might be worth it, might not...and look out for wet floors!!!

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank gillyflower_dc
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manassas, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

I visited Lucerne after a 4 day business trip to Basel, Switzerland. It would have been an hour drive but we hit horrible traffic on the A2 on a gorgeous Sat afternoon. Checked in at the Grand Hotel Europe about 3:30pm and decided it was too late to visit Mt. Pilatus. I walked to the old city area (about 20 min) and had dinner instead. Went to the Mt the next morning and it was an amazing experience. The attendant at the desk didn't have many answers to our questions but she did try. I had a single room that luckily faced the lake. The view was gorgeous. My room did not have air conditioning and it was a fairly warm day. I requested a fan as I had seen noted in another review and it helped and was comfortable. My main complaint was the bed. Two singles pushed together. When I laid across diagonally in the afternoon I didn't notice but at night when I tried to sleep under the covers I on kept rolling into the crack. The bed was very sloped so it was hard to stay on the edges. There is a main light switch as you enter the room that must be turned on to turn any of the other lights on. My bathroom was a nice size and was well lit. Breakfast had a good variety and was a plus since it was included in the price. I did miss not having free wireless internet. I did not pay for the service. The lobby and gardens were very nice and there was free parking for our rental car. The price for the value was good and when I return to Lucerne, which I fully intend on doing, I may stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't think the lakefront rooms have air conditioning but the view is worth the discomfort.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank GardenerVA
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Switzerland was lovely and everything so pristine. This grand old hotel had a nice room, wonderful breakfast and very classy decor. We will definitely travel Switzerland again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed for two nights at Grand Hotel Europe with a Trafalgar Tour. The hotel hosted several tour groups at once. Location is fine on the other side of the road from the lake and about a 20 minute walk and a short tram ride from the city center.

Our room 335 had air conditioning (though it was hard to regulate) and Kleenex tissue but no refrigerator. Restaurant staff cheerfully provided a bucket and ice for keeping things cold, and the restaurant froze our ice pack. The room and bathroom were clean. There was no coffee and tea maker in the room. The only place in the shower to put soap while showering at first appeared to be the floor, which reminded me of staying at a YMCA some time in the past. Eventually I found a small flat spot on the shower pipes just big enough to hold the hotel's very small flat bar of soap. We could see trains passing on tracks some distance from one of our two windows, but the sound, muffled by bushes, was not annoying, and after a rain we slept with the window open and the air conditioning off. No neighbor noise.

Motion sensor-driven lights go on automatically when you enter the small shower/sink and toilet/sink rooms, but you have to remember to keep wiggling when you're in there or the lights will go off after a while. For those who are terrified by the dark, probably the act of screaming will activate the motion sensor and turn the lights back on.

Some others in the tour group complained that their rooms were hot and that they did not have air conditioning. They were provided with fans. They had heard that only 12 per cent of the rooms have air conditioning.

The wi-fi Internet provider is the very expensive Swisscom, and the guests pay with credit card on the web. Charge is €5 for 30 minutes, €15 for 3 hours, and €25 for one day. There is also a computer near the lobby that can be used for a fee.

The buffet breakfasts in the large ballroom for tour groups were good, and our tour group ate one dinner at the hotel. The sit-down dinner was very good: a generous portion of mixed green salad, fish and potatoes, and for dessert, a scoop each of white and dark chocolate mousse.

Although the staff were not especially outgoing, I think their helpful and "can do" attitude must have made me forgot some of the shortcomings that I found irritating in other hotels such as the lack of refrigerator, lack of coffee/tea maker, and expensive Internet. Others who did not have air conditioning might rate the hotel lower, but from our point of view, the pluses and minuses come out between somewhere average and very good.

Room Tip: Ask for room with air conditioner
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Staidthere
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

the rooms in the hotel was spacious and service quality good. The hotel is very close to the lake. it is just 10 min by bus from the main station. It is little away from the hustle bustle of the central district. There is a bus stop just in front of the hotel making it very convenient. The staff is very friendly and professional and made our stay memorable. the drawbacks if you were to pick are that the food choices is very limited for a hotel of its size. also they do not provide a kettle with coffee/tea kit in the room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family