“very good hotel close to the airport”

Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport
Ranked #39 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Bradford, United Kingdom
“very good hotel close to the airport”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This is a minimal airport hotel that offers you a good clean comfortable room with breakfast. They offer a free airport service which runs until late into the evening. The staff are excellent and very helpful and friendly. I stayed one night while visiting the 82nd Salon international de l'auto et accessoires.

Being Geneva everything is Uber expensive and though the price is quite high per night, compared to the rest of Geneva its a reasonable deal. I use Holiday Inn hotels often and the level of service is on par with what i am used too. Breakfast inst anything to shout about, its simple but filling.

my only gripe was I couldn't turn off the built in fan within the room, even when you remove the key card from the main electrical point. I found it, it dehydrated me during the night and caused to have a rather sleepless night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed one night on my way home. This is a minimal airport hotel that only serves breakfasts.
I took the free shuttle from the airport in the evening. In the morning my flight left at 07:00 and the first free shuttle is only at 05:50 I had to pay 6 CHF for an alternative shuttle service that I reserved at reception when I arrived.
That was too early for breakfast, although I was told that the reception clerk could have made me coffee.
I had a beer (free from my Priority Club membership) in the minimal bar. At least there is free wifi down there - none in the room, and wired internet in the room is expensive too.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Paul S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Express Geneva Airport, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear pshotts,

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel.
Your feedback is appreciated as this lets us know on what areas we can improve.

Thanks again,

Katie J
IHGCare
Geneva
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Nice HI Express hotel - very convenient when you fly early out of Geneva. Efficient staff. Modern rooms nicely decorated. New TV sets. Did not test breaksfast as I always flew out too early.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 22 February 2012

It does what it says on the cover...stayed there for two nights at the end of February....I thought a bit grubby in places...no wifi in the room...view from as high as the fifth floor was of the airport buildings....got free tramway tickets which was a plus...but overall I have stayed in better airport holiday inns...no restaurant either on site....had to go to the movenpick hotel and casino for very expensive dinner instead.Bed was very very low so if like me you are tall.....it doesn't go with a good sleep

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Irishguy353
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This was the most disappointing Holiday Inn property where I have ever stayed. There may have been a worse stay 20-30 years ago, but it was the most disappointing since I now have higher expectations from this brand. As Priority Club Platinum and now Platinum Ambassador in the IHG group, I expect some recognition and rewards. I received none. There was no welcome packet, no acknowledgement of my status, nothing. When I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Marseilles, France, last year, I was upgraded, given free wifi (although that may have been standard), and received a special greeting packet. When I made that comment, they said each country was different! If you are a member of Priority Club and have any status, you would probably do better at a Motel 6. This hotel should not be in the Holiday Inn chain since they do nothing for their members except provide award points (I assume that I will receive these eventually for my prepaid room). Basically, this hotel should be called the “No Name Basic but Friendly Hotel at the Geneva Airport”.
There were some positives, but the negatives totally made a bigger impression and ruined my stay. This is why I giving the place a 2 and not a 1. We arrived in Geneva by train from Lyon and then took the short 7 minute train ride for just over 5 euro (bought ticket in Lyon so not sure how much it costs in Swiss francs) to the airport. We found the one and only airport hotel pickup/drop off spot on the lowest level by arrivals and waited about 15-20 minutes for the shuttle. A very helpful, hard working guy greeted us and drove us the short distance to the hotel. He later came to check on the heat machine in the room to make sure we had put it in the lowest setting. Another positive is that they give you a tram/bus pass for Geneva during your stay. I am not sure how much one ride would cost, but if you arrive by train, it is probably cheaper and faster to buy a ticket and take the #14 shuttle in the direction of Cern or Meyrin-Graviere to the Blandonnet stop. From there, you can see the hotel and have a 150m easy walk, which is about as far as you walk at the airport to find the shuttle. At check-in, there were two very nice ladies and later a third one, but as I later found out, they had no power to make any decisions so were basically friendly robots. All of the rooms are the same (cookie cutter) with either two single beds with separate sheets or one set to make it like a double so no possibility to upgrade to a better room set up. We were in room #405. Since the hotel is supposed to be 100% non-smoking, I don’t understand why someone of my status should not have been assigned a room on the 7th (top) floor so at least the best view. Upon arrival at the room, we were greeted by a sauna. The window could not be opened, but fortunately, the a/c was still operable. We had to turn the furnace beneath the desk by the window to the lowest position, and we were eventually able to make the room tolerable. You had to leave the entry card in the slot by the door to operate the lights and a/c so we left one there while we ventured to the city. The room had two beds as previously mentioned. The pillows were paper thin so it was like sleeping on two cloth napkins. The mattress was too soft but did have a comfortable duvet. I did not sleep well. Outlets were not well placed. One by the desk had three or four in one but the size of the desk lamp’s plug only allowed one more to be added. There was one at the entrance included with the light switch. There was none by the headboards. Breakfast was adequate and was the typical Express breakfast with cold cuts, boiled eggs, pastries, juices, coffee, tea, etc. There were no hot food choices. When I asked about a wakeup call, I was told that I had to program it myself. I tried to do it over the phone and then learned it was done on the television. The television was set to a date next month and to the wrong time zone and had to be adjusted before I could set the alarm correctly. I set it and at the given time, the tv came on. I was already awake so not sure if it would have waked me up had I been in a deep sleep! There was a kettle with instant coffee and tea. There was no safe, but a sign said they would keep valuables at the front desk. When I went into the city, I stopped by with my mini laptop and small attaché with my passport, several hundred euro, and other items of value. They said my “mini” laptop was too big for their safes so they offered to keep it in the office area and assured me it would be safe. Upon my return, they recognized me and brought my property to me, and everything was there, but it made me nervous while I was in the city and kept me from a worry-free visit to the city center of Geneva. There was no free wifi in the rooms. The wifi was free in the lobby and worked well before breakfast without any special passwords or codes. You could buy wifi via a wire connection for 5 Swiss francs for 1 hour or 10 for one day, but I did not do this. This would be a good freebie for those with status. When I went down to complain about the too many negatives noticed in the first 5 minutes and asked for a manager, I was told that no manager was on duty. The two nice and apologetic ladies on duty said they could do nothing! I asked what they would do if the hotel caught on fire, and they said they had numbers to call? The posted managers on duty were off for the weekend and no where to be found. They did not have a number for me to call and said I could send an email with my complaints once I returned home. What good would that do me while I was there? I do plan to send this review to Holiday Inn via their complaint/comment section and let them know it’s going to be on TripAdvisor.com, the best and most trusted hotel review site out there.
Other negative issues with the hotel: 1) doors slammed easily, 2) no restaurant except breakfast but this is understood since a Holiday Inn Express so really not a negative, 3) bare minimum property and makes Holiday Inn Expresses in US look like luxury hotels, 4) minimal lighting so very dark room after sunset, 5) bathroom layout not very private since person on toilet and person in shower can see each other very well, 6) no ice bucket but ice machine in lobby so how does one bring ice back to room, and 7) no amenities-only soap/shampoo dispenser in shower and by sink. To summarize the positives already mentioned as well as others, which prevented the lowest rating of 1: 1) friendly but powerless staff, 2) reliable airport shuttle, 3) free transit card, 4) close to airport-could see runway from room, 5) many tv channels in many languages, 6) coffee/tea pot, 7) a/c on in February, and 8) very little outside noise.
As far as Geneva, nothing really exciting on a Sunday-everything closed even most restaurants closed from 15h-18h. The menus in the window had very high prices even at the lower scale restaurants. Since we were hungry and not much was open, we spent over 100 francs at a restaurant where the only dish was steak slices and fries with green salad. We entered one restaurant with fondue specials, but it smelled like day old laundry and armpits. After Lyon, Geneva was very overpriced and not a gastronomical delight. The city was very dirty with trash everywhere unlike Zurich which is very clean. Transportation system was good, but stumbled onto hookers in doorways less than 2 blocks from lake and train station while we were exploring boring city center. It was mid afternoon so I guess the “ladies of the evening” were giving afternoon matinees.
In summary, I will be less likely to ever stay at another Holiday Inn Express in Switzerland. This hotel was a huge negative for a brand that I love and enjoy as a Platinum Ambassador member. I wonder why it is allowed to carry the Holiday Inn name. Crowne Plaza has also been a disappointment in my few stays but still was acceptable overall, and I wish I had stayed at the Geneva airport Crowne Plaza for a few more francs and received a possible upgrade, free breakfast room access, free internet, and possibly more. They also have an airport shuttle and provide a free transportation card for each guest. As long as Priority Club rewards me generously, I will keep giving them my business, but this Holiday Inn Express would be an average one in a lesser, more basic brand. I will definitely not stay here if I am in Geneva again. A clean hostel with friendly people would provide the same level of comfort and safety! For over 130 Swiss francs prepaid, I certainly did not get my money’s worth!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same so choose location (floor and away from elevator)