“Disappointed”

Hotel Bernina Geneve
Ranked #69 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I stayed at Bernina Swiss Quality Hotel in January 2012 and booked 2 double rooms.

Firstly, the location is good for travellers. It's directly across the road from the main train station. However, it's not in the best part of town. I found the area to be very dirty. I read that many people felt unsafe walking around the area at night, I didn't find this the case at all. Because of the close proximity to the train station, I found there were always people around and we didn't feel unsafe at all.

The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk down to Lake Geneva. This area is lovely, lots of restaurants and shops. If we were there for longer, I would have liked to explore this area more. We were only there for one night (1st January) but everything was closed the following day because it was a public holiday (new years). We still enjoyed walking around Geneva (in the rain), but it was a shame that nothing was open.

The staff on the front desk were very friendly and helpful. The front office area looks a little old, but it had a nice warmth to it. There was a sitting area, with free tea and coffee, which was nice. They allowed us to use the sitting area for a few hours after we checked out, while we waited for our train.

I must be honest and say that I was disappointed with our rooms. They were very old and outdated, nothing at all like the photos we saw when booking online. Maybe we got an old room because we booked at a cheaper price? They were very very small, my husband and I had trouble fitting our 2 suitcases comfortably in the room. Another thing we noticed is that we could hear everything that was going on in the room next to us!

Having said all of that, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

The bathroom was large when compared to the actual room we stayed in, so that was good. Again, very old and outdated bathroom, but it was clean and we had lovely hot water. So that's a plus, especially when it's cold and rainy outside!!

The lift is very small. It could only fit 2 people with their luggage. And even that was a tight squeeze.

The hotel had free internet and breakfast was included in our stay, which was great. The variety at breakfast was good.

So all in all, the hotel rooms were quite average and old, but at least they were clean. I think for the money we paid, we could have got something a little nicer. I don't think I would stay here again on a return trip to Geneva.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shan-Oz
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

comparing the price and the quality of the Bernina Swiss...rates are definitely too much high! I had a single room with french size bed quite comfortable. Wi fi connection low quality. International breakfast low level. the only i can suggest of this hotel is the position: walking distance by the railway station, 7 minutes by train to the airport of Geneve and 200 metres from Starbucks and Mac Donald!!! that's a plus considering the quality of the french swiss food!!! :-)))

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Geneva is insanely expensive if you're not on a Swiss salary (or an expense account); where else does a Big Mac cost £8.30?

This hotel gives back some sanity. I'm staying here at the moment (13.05.12) and it's my refuge! Very central location in a very small city: you can walk everywhere (although I did get the tram to the UN with my complimentary "Geneva Travel Card").

Clean (of course) and all the necessaries. Yes, OK, my laptop wouldn't work until I went out and bought a special adaptor (the usual Continental Europe ones don't work here), but, hey, I don't blame the hotel for that: it's a crazy Swiss idea that their plugs are better!

If you want a Holiday Inn, then go there.

Reading some of the reviews, it seems to me that some of our North American cousins don't fully appreciate that Europe isn't North America. It's what makes Europe a fantastic quilt of cultures and languages.

Uncomfortably, in the city that hails non-discrimination, etc. Switzerland is one of the worst offenders. Look up the date of woman's' sufferage in Switzerland and you will be shocked.

Look at how the Swiss treat foreigners - with lots of discrimination. I've felt more threatened here by non-white faces than in London or New York. The attitude here seems to be if you're not white you are a criminal

I suppose I had a stereo-typed vision of Geneva. All fur coats no knickers; distressed old Russian aristocracy rubbing noses with the likes of Shirley Bassey and Roger Moore (both totally without "old money")

But, Geneva does not match up to my ideas.

However, the Hotel Bernina is an excellent choice - and thank you to EasyJet for pointing
out this hotel

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank pbarkley
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Bernina Swiss Quality Hotel is directly across the street from the train station in Geneva. The hotel is actually easy to miss even if you're standing in front of it so keep a sharp eye out! It's a pretty plain hotel, from the lobby, to the elevator, to the restaurant, to the rooms. Actually kind of boring. Everything is clean though, and in good working order. Like Switzerland. The wifi is reliable and free, although slow. The location is pretty good - Geneva is a fairly compact city, so you're within 30 minutes walk of just about everything, and the bus/tram system is excellent if you don't want to walk. There are tons of restaurants, cafes, bars, shopping etc within a few minutes walk of the hotel. The neighborhood is decent - nothing sketchy like a red light district, just lots of small business everywhere, and plenty of people from all over. Service at the hotel is friendly and efficient, and everyone speaks English very well. Breakfast is included, and it's not bad. Mostly continental-style but pretty tasty. The rooms are very clean, and heat/AC works well, as do the elevators. Bathrooms are just OK, but clean and everything works. Beds are not very comfortable, typical of most of Europe. I don't recall there being a bar at the hotel, but it's possible I missed it. Anyway there are plenty of bars just around the corner. The main downside to this place is the price - but Geneva is an extremely expensive city in general, so I guess it's par for the course. Bottom line - would I recommend this place, and would I stay here again? If you can get a good deal on it, Bernina Swiss Quality Hotel is a safe choice (not a spectacular choice). But there are dozens of hotels in the same area, so check around before deciding.

Room Tip: They're all pretty similar (and similarly plain)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank mikevegas
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed here for one night on a weekend break to Geneva, paying £80 for two people in a double room.

The location of the hotel is excellent directly opposite the train station and main bus/tram stops to all attractions i.e. CERN, United Nations etc so really easy to find and ideal to get around with the free transport card, only a ten minute train ride to airport. The waterfront promenade is a five minute walk or twenty minutes to the fountain and old town and there are plenty of reasonably priced bars/restaurants in the area. There were a few less salubrious people hanging around outside the train station like any major city but they kept themselves to themselves and didn’t cause us any bother.

Despite the location we didn’t think it was that noisy as there were shutters on the windows which blocked out the street noise. The room itself was fine - spotlessly clean, comfortable bed, good shower and all facilities were in good working order (includes room safe and free reliable Wi-Fi access). All the staff were very friendly and helpful, allowing us to check-in first thing in the morning as a room was available, providing directions and storing our luggage for free. Breakfast was also plentiful with a good choice of continental items, only downside was that we had to wait for a table as the breakfast room was very small compared to size of hotel.

To be honest if you paid this price for a room in many cities it would be considered as overpriced but this is Geneva and it’s expensive so for a budget classed hotel we have no complaints and would return due to great location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple