All reviews double bed great budget hotel tram station takes about mins cheap place reception desk travel card bear pit modern hotel old town expo stops checkin duration swiss
Reviewed 26 June 2011

The hotel itself is pretty close to the old town, about 12 minutes by tram #9, at the end of the tram line at Bern Expo. However, it is the reception clerk that was a big issue, whose name was Anka. I arrived around 11:00 and told her I would like to check in. She stared at me for 10 seconds as if she could not understand what I was talking about. Then without addressing me, she picked up a phone and talked to someone else before she started the checkin. There was no smile, only abrupt actions.

She demanded my passport and went inside to make a copy. That was the only time at ny Accor hotels, both Etap and Ibis in the last a few years, that would make a physical copy of my passport. Because of this, if anything happens due to that Xerox copy of the my passport, Etap is liable for all the consequences.

Then Anka asked for my credit card to process payment. She put the machine under the counter, unlike everywhere else at Etap, the machine was always on the top of the counter so that guests could choose the currency to charge from. When she pulled out the payment slip, it was not in CHF but in US$, which included a fee. I asked her why, she yelled at the top of her voice and said there was no other choice and that was the only currency by the machine. I expressed doubt and asked to speak to a manager, and she rudely said “speak to me”. I asked to go downstairs where Ibis check-in is located to talk to employee and supervisor there, and she refused. She said either sign the slip or pay cash. The whole process was very unpleasant and she acted like a jerk.

I signed the slip and indicated that there was no choice of currency for me.

Late in the afternoon, I went by the Ibis counter and asked the check-in woman there if there was no currency choice at that location. I told her what happened and she went in to talk to another employee, Dominik, who then asked me to wait for a while for them to ask their director, Christian Scheiner, to come in after he finished the phone call.

I told Director Scheiner what happened, and he kindly instructed Domink to reverse the transaction for me and process the payment again in CHF. From the reactions by the director, it seemed to me this was not the first time Anka caused trouble.

Can’t Etap hire better persons to do this job? It seems the low end hotel can only have low end staff? Anka should be shown the door, not even worth sending to the laundry to dry clean.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank helpful138
Reviewed 21 June 2011

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Clean and tidy room with good value.
Location is not very far, can directly access by the tram number 9 from the HBF.
However, the direction given in the website is not very accurate, it advised us to get there by S-bahn to station Wandorf, then we ended up walking 15mins from to train station to hotel.
Free wifi and desktop in lobby is very convenient

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2011

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I would definitely not recommend this hotel in spite of the relatively good location(10 min. by tram from city center). First when we checked in the reception desk clerk seemed bored and annoyed by the fact that I dared ask a few questions about the city constantly sighing and rolling her eyes. Second there was a piece of gum stuck to the carpet in front of the sink that I couldn't remove myself and asked the front desk and cleaning maid THREE times to clean, and when I left three nights later it was still there. The breakfast left to be desired (compared to the Etap Hotel in Zurich where they provided for the same price cold cuts and cheese) with only some cereal, butter and jam plus coffee or tea

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple