“Excellent”

Holiday Inn Bern-Westside
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Bern
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A first-class service from front line staff, good quality and very clean room, and a mall. Wi-fi is free and panoramic view from the room. As a platinum member of Priority club they upgraded me to a better room.

It's a train ride to the city center which will cost CHF 4 one way.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The is a very modern, chic/hip, hotel. It is spotless and have all the conveniences you need. It is attached to a shopping mall with movie theatre, restaurants, shops, and starbucks. The westside Bern station is right across the street.

The old town is about 10 minutes (2 stops) away by train. This is about the only negative about the property. Nonetheless, i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I'm very satisfied with my stay at this hotel, for sure among the best during my Switzerland trip. Really good value for money if compared to all those overpriced hotels in central Bern and the services they offer.

The hotel still seems to be brand-new. Rooms are spacious, clean, well kept, modern, the typical HI rooms with all their comforts. Cozy chairs, wooden flooring, large and comfortable beds, quality pillows (and pillow menu) and very soft bed linen... it won't be easy to get up in the morning to visit Bern! ;-). Flat screen tv, safe, desk area, a very large window that can be opened, coffe& tea facilities, wardrobe. Free wifi, worked well.

The bathroom is also spacious enough, large walk in shower with excellent water pressure. But I do agree with those reviewers who pointed out that the glass panel could have been a bit larger: you need to pay attention to avoid getting the whole floor wet. But that's a minor flaw. What really could become a problem is the bathroom door: it's frosted, but in some points you can just look right through it since there is the hotel logo running along it. And clearly it's not soundproof... ;-)

The hotel is really easy to reach since it is located along the highway (rooms are not noisy though). It's part of the Westside shopping mall which offers several dinner/breakfast opportunities (Starbucks, some Asian and Italian restaurants, McD, etc.), shops of any kind, a large spa with swimming pool and a cinema that also shows English movies. We found out that the shops are closed on Sundays, the food court however is open 7 days a week.
Holiday Inn guests can park their car in a special area of the car parking of the shopping mall at low fares: very convenient, easy to reach without even having to get outside.

To reach the city center you can take either the tram or the train. Both stops are exactly in front of the hotel, you just need to cross the street. Swiss trains are clean, not too crowded, efficient and always on time, you'll reach the city center in less than 10 minutes. Price for tram and trains is the same (4 CHF each way), so I suggest taking the train (much faster!) even if trams are a bit more frequent.

Staff were very nice, attentive, efficient, English-speaking.
There are two breakfast options : coffee + croissant (6 CHF) or a complete breakfast buffet (20CHF). To me it seemed quite overpriced, there are several interesting alternatives in the shopping mall.

All in all I think this is just the best you can get in Bern: a new and modern hotel with lots of facilities at reasonable prices (at least for Swiss standards...). Location is not an issue: there's really no need to pay more just to avoid those 10 minutes on the S-Bahn.

Go for it! ;-)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank evcava
Reviewed 27 February 2012

With regards to the recent booking of the 4 stars hotel Holiday Inn in Bern, Switzerland, I have to admit that a series of unpleasant surprises is not adding up to my expectations and the booking description.

When I did the reservation for the hotel, it was announced to be a place that has an option for an aqua park facility that goes with a free 2.5 hours admission for it. When I arrived, we were notified that the park is closed since about one year because of misconstruction (parts of the ceiling came down). We were advised that the sauna and spa would be available at least.

When I stepped down have a look at the sauna at 8:15 pm, I was told that this facility is closed for today, although it is mentioned to be opened until 10pm at night in the hotels guest directory. Needless to say that I was really happy.

Just a little before, at check in when I entered the room, it was clearly a room that had been abused by some smokers, so I called the reception and mentioned that I wouldn’t want it. The clerk, a courteous and friendly fellow was able to change the room to a real non-smoking room. The rooms I saw are not very spacious, but the cleanliness is excellent and the style is modern and functional.

Day2: I went to reception again to inquire about the sauna and spa. This time we were lucky and upon inquiry got a bathrobe for it. However the procedure for getting in there is a challenge. You need to swap your room key to get a wristband which is good for access. Then you need to walk outside the hotel, about 400 yards thru the shopping mall (can’t do this in a bathrobe for sure), take the escalator down and search for the well hidden entrance. Then you can change and enter the area. Oh, I almost forgot to tell: You need a towel, of cause. However the hotel wouldn’t tell you to pick one at the room and the spa and sauna happens to help out only after asking around at the desk. They require a deposit of 50 Swiss francs, almost like $50. Well, I can imagine purchasing quite some towels for this sum. What they don’t tell you is that they rent the towel to you. More about this matter in just a minute.

The sauna is nice and modern, has a couple of different areas and is separated by female only and mixed. I cannot say anything about the female section, but mixed is a go: There I picked the Scandinavian one with about 90 degrees Celsius. When I came in, it was pretty empty, just about 4-5 people in there. After about 10 minutes there was a rush however, and about 20 to 25 people entered the room at once. I was about to leave anyway so it was not such a thing, but when I stepped outside, I recognized why this was: the waiter was serving an “Aufguss”, that is pouring ice cubed water on the hot stones, so that the steam will make you sweat for sure.

After two runs, I was done with the sauna, so I decided to leave, after 1.5 hours total. At the exit, I couldn’t disembark this place, however. The lady that runs the register said that there should be some charges that I need to pay for. Interestingly I had spared my drinks for later and therefore wouldn’t know of any charges applicable. Well, it turned out that the towel is having a 4 Swiss Francs charge, that I haven’t been told before. And since I don’t run around with money when I am going into a hotel’s sauna, I was short on cash.

Grounded and done? First the lady asked me to get some four francs (you remember that the hotel is just across the other side of a shopping mall), but luckily she then called the hotel which took it on the room. Thanks for whoever ran over from the hotel to get the payment settled .

To be fair and mention the nice topics: The room was clean and I could use the room until 2pm with a free of charge late checkout and there is no charge for the WLAN, too. Albeit I haven't used it, the hotel restaurant made a good impression from the outside.

All in all I have to mention that the hotel is lacking the advertised features, lacking convenience when it come to the spa and sauna, and in this light appears not to be a terrible good value for the money.

Maybe this is the best that the capital of Switzerland has to offer, but I rather cannot recommend it for further stays other than strictly sleeping and business purposes.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Joe_Lorenz
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Bern-Westside, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear Joe_Lorenz,

I was disappointed to read your review following your recent stay with us. While you noted the cleanliness of your room and the restaurant as being positives, I was sorry to hear some aspects did not meet your expectations. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed 13 February 2012

hotel is nice, attached mall gives you everything you need, clothes, restaurants, general shopping
food is good, nice swiss hospitality. can go on an amazing cycling trip in the morning.
but it is too far away from the city and every other attraction, not suitable for tourists who want to stay near by the town. though it has a train station in front but still, time wasted in commuting is not suggested

Room Tip: do not take rooms with a view of the mall. what u r gonna see, is only a big roof, outta ur window