“A solid 3 star hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Basel
London, United Kingdom
“A solid 3 star hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is a solid 3 star hotel (it claims to be 4 stars). The room was clean with a big flat screen TV. Breakfast is decent - for a 3 star hotel it's very good. Staff are friendly.

It's a fairly small hotel and that shows in the lobby/lift, etc... so if you can get a good deal then it's worth it. Otherwise don't expect anything special.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Paradectral A
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
Basel, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Nice room, dinky bathroom, but it's a city centre, so to be expected. A bit warm - I assumed it was aircon as there were vents, couldn't find a thermostat and then in the morning when I opened the curtains, there was the radiator! Ooops!

You have to pay for wi-fi at 20CHF per day - some places are beginning to give this for free, so a bit frustrating to pay - I didn't bother.
I didn't have breakfast are there are lots of places, including starbucks next door and others in the station area where you can grab a coffee and something nice to eat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

I found the Metropolitan to be a comfortable hotel, notwithstanding the fact that the rooms were quite small and tight. It is well located being close to the central train station although it is a bit of a walk to the main area of the city.

Staff are very friendly and helpful there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

I had a very pleasant stay in Metropol Bael:
a big sport-elegant stile quiet and cleen room,with a very good aircondition
for hot days and a helpfull staff.
breakfast was good,with a nice view of the city from the top floor.
The hotel is only a 1 minute walk to the trams stations and the main centeral
train station of Basel.Very good.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank yuda1953
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

I stayed at Metropol Hotel last week and by far, this was the worst hotel experience I ever had. In terms of:
1) Location - Not bad. Near train station. No complaint.
2) Room - Bad experience. Room size was small for a 4 star (is this hotel really a 4 star hotel? I wonder.). Room was stuffy and bit dusty . I have dust allergy and I can tell the stuffiness/dust was bad as from the moment that I open the room door, I sneeze non-stop. The beds (2 single beds) were not comfortable and in bad need of refurbishment. No individual aircond. Immediately requested to change room but room not available.
3) Service - Staff was quite friendly. The lady gave me a fan (they call it Ventilator!) to help improve the room stuffiness.
4) My Icebreaker base layer shirt was STOLEN! - I check-out from the room on the next day afternoon but later changed my mind and changed the room instead. In my haste to pack my stuff from the first room, I forgot to take my Icebreaker base layer shirt that I put on the chair that very morning. I realised it in the evening that my shirt was missing and immediately inform the hotel. The response? "We need to check with the cleaning lady tomorrow". They did not come back to me again and when I follow up they inform that the cleaning lady did not find anything! No sense of urgency and no sympathy at all...

I"ve accidently left behind other things at other hotel before (even a gold bracelet!) but it never went missing. I never expect this from a Swiss hotel and very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business