US$ 88
US$ 77
US$ 85
  • Breakfast included
Agriturismo Il Podere(Gubbio)(Great Value!)
US$ 68
US$ 99
Orbitz.com
  • Room Service
US$ 138
US$ 132
Agriturismo Molino Sette Camini(Gubbio)(Great Value!)
US$ 80
Agriturismo Poggio Paradiso(Gubbio)(Great Value!)
US$ 71
US$ 68
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfairy taletower roomcastle groundstruffle huntwatch towercastle staycentury towertwo nightsawesome staywine tourmodern travellerumbrian countrysidelarge bathroombreakfast roomspiral staircaseamazing hotelwent above and beyond
Reviewed 17 October 2016

We spent one night at Castello di Petroia on our tour through Europe and it was well worth the trip - my husband and I both agree that it was the highlight of our trip. We arrived at 2 p.m. and were given a wonderful tour of the grounds and a brush up on the history. The front desk gentleman (he was so kind, and I've forgotten his name, I feel horrible!) carried my bags all the way up from the car to the tower room. He gave us the times for dinner and breakfast and said to call him if we needed anything. He made us feel very welcome, probably the most welcome we felt the whole time we were in the country.
My husband and I unpacked and explored the grounds a little. We found four cats (two of which I know are the castle's own) and spent a little time with them. We took a dip in the pool, which had a beautiful view of the countryside and was very relaxing.
Before dinner, we played a game of chess in one of the courtyard rooms and were greeted by the maitre d'. He was the sweetest gentleman, he brought us some mozzarella and tomatoes to snack on while we finished our game. When we went down to the restaurant we sat down and he immediately began serving us. We had fresh baked bread (there was a large basket of choices, we picked the rosemary) dipped in olive oil produced right there at the castle - the best I've ever tasted. For dinner I had the duck and my husband had the gnocchi. Both were the best meals we tasted during our trip. For dessert, we had the cherries soup and the honey ice cream. They were both very, very good. The meal was very reasonably priced - especially for the quality of both food and service we received. If you are planning on visiting the castle, do not miss the opportunity to dine here!
My only regret about visiting the castle is that I was too shy to inquire about the trail rides. When we toured the grounds I didn't see any horses stabled or grazing, so I assumed they were brought in if the rides were something you had scheduled, and I did not. Later on, just before dinner, I saw a group coming back on horseback and had wished that I had asked about it. It would've been an amazing opportunity to see the Umbrian countryside, but alas, perhaps on my next visit!
All in all, the Castello di Petroia is a true gem and should not be missed! If you are on the fence about your visit, don't be! It was amazing.

Stayed: September 2016
1  Thank Lorah G
Reviewed 5 September 2016

The welcome was warm and charming and included a brief tour of the castle. Our room was not as spacious as some of those depicted and was a little gloomy as it faced inward across a narrow alley towards a stone wall.
Dinner was excellent and the courteous and efficient service from the waiter Paolo was outstanding.
Removal of a few trees, if this is permissible, would open up and improve the views from the castle terraces significantly.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard1000000
Reviewed 23 August 2016

We traveled from the US and spent three days here and I have never in my life been treated so wonderfully at a hotel. This place is the stuff of fantasies and fairy tales! They truly make you feel like royalty.
The food is out of this world and the rooms are spacious and very comfortable.
The staff is like family and so friendly! They go way beyond what you would expect while traveling. The owner even sat down at our table and had dinner with us. Amazing!
The shrimp at dinner ... OMG! I have never tasted anything so scrumptious in my life.
Isabella, the waitress is a dream and although she speaks very little English, we have since become friends on Facebook.
If you travel down the hill a little ways toward the town of Gubbio, you will find another Italian gem on the right hand side of the road. Il Turista, a family owned restaurant and the family has since become my second family. They are absolutely amazing!
A dream come true! ♥

Room Tip: You can't choose a bad room to stay in here. This place is beyond beautiful and amazing!
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Magicforest18
Reviewed 22 August 2016 via mobile

My wife and I started our 2 week honeymoon with a three day stay at CDP. We stayed in the tower room which is really unique, but don't stay in that room unless you are okay climb some stairs. Everything from the scenery, to the staff assistance, to the pool, and to recommendations on activities in the area was great. The food is very, very good here. Our waiter was awesome in recommending various wines to us as well. One of the highlights of our trip was eating a 7 course dinner offered during one of the events they had while we were there. Everything from bruschetta to pork to veal was served. We would absolutely stay here again and highly recommend it.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed in the Tower Room for 3 nights. The tower room is spread throughout 3 floors with space being a bit limited. The steps between floors were somewhat difficult to navigate and were uneven in spots. Neither of us consider steps to an issue at all, however, we found these to be a bit difficult to deal with, particularly in the middle of the night. There is also no regular shower in the bathroom (which is in the basement), but a tub with a handheld sprayer - awkward. There is a toilet on the bottom floor and a tiny closet-toilet on the main floor as well. The tower dates back to the 11th century and the views from the bedroom and private terrace on the roof were spectacular!

Breakfast was nice albeit standard European. Dinner in the courtyard was wonderful. The castle is way out in the Umbrian countryside and the views were fabulous in all directions! The staff was without exception professional, super-helpful and top notch - bravo! The common areas and pool were great places to relax. It should also be noted that nearby Gubbio is one of our favorite towns anywhere - how is this area/town not more famous?! This was one of our favorite places that we have ever stayed and we will be back.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple