“The best!”
Review of Alla Balestra

Alla Balestra
Ranked #22 of 139 Restaurants in Gubbio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 June 2016

My husband and I were exploring the medieval hill top town of Gubbio, Umbria, when we ran in to a "little" restaurant that looked inviting. The owner, dressed in a suit, welcomed us to his restaurant and a young lady took us to our table. From there on it only got better! We ordered a house specialty appetizer with several different kinds of meats and cheese, local of course, and I ordered a luncheon salad and my husband had pizza.
He thought that was the best pizza he had ever had - thin crust with a few ingredients but those ingredients were the most delicious one can find! My salad was fresh and cold. The service was excellent. The place was clean.
A few days later we returned to the restaurant; no disappointments!
Grazie seniore, meraviglioso!

3  Thank _lhwilhelm5437

Reviewed 21 May 2016

I stopped in here with a group of friends for a truly great lunch. We all ordered pasta dishes and everyone enjoyed the meal so much that all plates were cleaned. the service was great and the staff very helpful and friendly. I can't wait to return.

1  Thank pacacc
Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

Love coming here because it is such a relaxed place!

This time both experiences were similar implying consistency.

Ordered a pizza on both occasions as we were after something a little more causal on these occasions. However on one night also had the asparagus and zucchini mousse on ricotta cheese which was a delight visually and taste and texture wise although I can understand the string tastes may not be to everyone's liking!

The pizzas didn't take too long to arrive and they were accommodating with the extra bits and pieces like adding on rocket etc. Nobody disliked their pizzas and reasonably sized as they were everyone finished the lot but weren't overly full or hungry at the end!

I have eaten here in August for a fantastic typical tasting menu with typical umbrian truffles and it was an absolute delight as well as great value.

This place is probably better for groups of people as opposed to solos or couples but there's no reason why you wouldn't have a good time there anyway.

The staff are all really friendly and helpful, we didn't have bad service or bad food. My family who are Italian and live in Gubbio all thought it was good too so no problems from a local perspective. I'm usually fairly critical about places.

Why not 5*?
Well, it can get a bit busy and that bustle can sometimes be a little unrelaxing, especially if the other groups are too loud. We experienced a bit of this for about 40minutes of our last trip. Whereas the restaurant can't do anything about this per se, this is the type of place that has large family and friends group so can be on the borderline of rowdy with the laughter and chat (people obviously having a great time!) and it's worth being aware of. But don't let it put you off too much, this is a good place and for about €7.50 for a very good thin crust pizza you'd be silly not to give it a whirl if this isn't a major factor for you.

4  Thank PlaneGirl88
Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

Had lunch there today, inspired by reviews. My wife's chicken cutlet was an enlarged size processed chicken, chicken McNugget.

Tortellini in brodo was in a broth that canned chicken broth producers would have rejected. Veal piccata was the blandest veal in a watery sauce - presentation could not have been more entirely unimpressive.

Sadly, service finished too close a second to a meal that could not even be characterized as commercial.

As poor a restaurant meal as I have choked down in many a year.

Reviewed 27 April 2016

I am always suprised when I find an excelent value in a tourist town. We found this lovely restraunt through a trip advisor search. The best pizza I have had during my three visits to Italy. My wife had a nice dinner salad that was very fresh and tasty. The facility is spotless with very nice rest rooms. The servers were attentive. My pizza was only 6:50 euros. Quite the value for the cost.

2  Thank nursegregory