“I'd pick somewhere else If I could Do It Again”

Il Chiostro del Carmine
Ranked #26 of 121 Siena B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“I'd pick somewhere else If I could Do It Again”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a centrally located hotel in a historic building in Siena. We stayed for one night in March and if I were to return to Siena, I'd look for something more updated. The hotel is in an old convent, and many of the frescoes, etc. remain on the walls. But there was something very musty and unprofessional about the whole operation, and as a traveler that prefers the impersonal feel of a big-box hotel, I found our stay at Il Chiostro Del Carmine to be rather unsatisfying.

There is a very minimal reception operation, and there are some hoops to be jumped through while parking one's car, though the staff does provide you with a very helpful map, so the parking wasn't that much of a problem. I think it cost 15 Euros, may have been 20.

I wasn't a fan of our "deluxe" room. There wasn't very much "superior" about it- the bed was dressed in this old-fashioned style, with a fabric awning type situation (see photos attached to this review). The bed was comfortable enough, but the air / conditioning didn't work and there was very little light in the room, giving it a dated, musty feel. There was a terrace, though ours didn't have a view, like some other people's. I guess I just really didn't feel like this hotel was worth them money that it cost- that was really the long and short of it.

Rather bizarre was the brand-spanking-new disco-décor in the bathroom in contrast with the 18th century look of the room. What? That said the bathroom was brand new and squeaky clean and easily my favorite thing about this hotel room.

Breakfast was adequate, especially the coffee.

For the price, I would look to stay elsewhere the next time I visited Siena.

Room Tip: I suppose if you've got the kind of room with a terrace, you should ask for one that has a view...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank neimanmarxist
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 17 April 2012

What a wonderful place this is. An old monastery that has been converted to a hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and our view was amazing. We could see the Tuscan countryside for miles! The desk clerks Valeria and Dana could not have been more helpful! They booked day trips for us and helped us get advance tickets to Accademia in Florence. The breakfast is lovely each morning and they make you coffee or lattes to order. Beds were comfortable and the location is great. It is just a short walk to the square but far enough away to not have any noise. Wished I could have stayed longer here. A must if you are going to Italy. Oh, and the best thing? A beautiful courtyard with tables and chairs to enjoy a bottle of wine each night. Couldn't be better!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. If they have it, they will give it to you!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
syracuse ny
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Although we only stayed in Siena for one night, this place was a wonderful choice. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. The rooms were clean and spacious. The breakfast was great and in a well appointed room. Although there was no elevator, our driver called ahead, and the staff was immediately available to assist with our bags.The hotel is a short walk from the Town Center. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed in Il Chiostro Del Carmine in Siena for Valentine's Day during a week long trip to Italy. I can honestly say our room had the best view of the entire trip - absolutely stunning. Big double windows looking out onto the surrounding country side - could even watch the sunset.

Siena is a charming town with a much more laid back feel than the bigger cities we also visited on our trip. With that in mind this hotel fits the bill perfectly - maybe a little on the shabby chic / studenty side for some, but we thought it was lovely.

I would stress to those less abled that there didn't appear to be a lift, so that might be worth investigating further before booking.

When we checked out it did seem a bit hectic as several people were checking out at once. Apart from that the customer service from the staff we encountered was very good. Our request for a room with a view, as it was a special trip was most defiantly met.

I’d love to return in the summer and appreciate more of Il Chiostro and Siena.

Room Tip: Room 19 a deluxe double has amazing views!!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for four nights and it is a wonderful place with very pleasant and accommodating staff. Our twin room was of good size and so was the bathroom. Breakfast is plentiful and again the staff does its job with a smile. The views from the breakfast room are splendid. Hotel is a few minutes walk from everywhere and is close to some very good eating places.
We had a very good stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple