“Pleasant surprise”

Soggiorno Lo Stellino
Ranked #48 of 121 Siena B&B and Inns
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

I read reviews after I booked it and based on them I thought it was going to be a bit of a dump but it was wonderful! We emailed about checking in after 2000 but they said someone was going to be there until midnight. There are many bus lines that run to the heart of Siena. It was clean, airy and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Switzerland
Reviewed 10 September 2011

It's a little hotel, 10 minutes by car from the Porta Camollia. Perfectly clean and quiet, the room had two floors, one with two single beds and the toillet and upstairs the double bed. The breakfast was perfect.

Room Tip: Perfectly situated in Siena
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Alex S
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My boyfriend and I have just been inter railing and we stayed in Soggiono Los Stellino for 2 nights. We booked a double room without a bathroom, and the room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. When we got to Siena with our heavy bags, we had no idea how to get to the hotel apart from a Google Maps print out, which said it took 28 mins to walk. We didn't know which bus to get at all, so we braved the walking, which took probably about an hour and a bit and was very tiring and hot, so I DO NOT recommend doing that! When we got there we found out that we could get number 4 or 10 bus, which goes straight there in about 10 minutes.

Anyway, when we got there we were very happy with the accommodation, and the distance was fine as we didn't want to spend that much time in Siena anyway (we went to visit a vineyard). Siena was nice to walk around for a couple of hours, but food was very expensive and it wasn't anything particularly special, so we went to a restaurant down the road from the hotel - It is practically the only one, so you can't not find it! Just a warning for this restaurant though, if you go there order pizza to be safe as when I had that it was fine, but we went again the next night and I had the worst meal I've ever had in my life (and I'm not a fussy eater at all!). It was pasta with mushrooms, but I would call it more worms with fungus as I couldn't eat it without gagging. They cannot speak any English whatsoever in there and the food doesn't have a description, just names (apart from the pizzas) so be safe with food there! We ended up going to McDonalds afterwards in desperation for food!

There's a lovely vineyard called Marchessi Mazzei in Fonterutoli, just 20 minutes drive/bus ride from just outside the hotel. You need to get the 125, and it only costs a euro for a ticket. The bus stops are fairly confusing if you don't speak italian, with some buses highlighted in colours meaning either 'summer', 'winter', or 'school' buses, so you have to choose accordingly! We went to the vineyard just for a winetasting for 5 euros each for 4 wines to taste which was very worth it, and looked round the vineyard ourselves, which was beautiful!

The staff were fine, and helpful when you needed help, and polite. I would recommend this hotel if you don't care too much about being near Siena, just being in Tuscany - it is beautiful!

Room Tip: Don't pay more for an ensuite, the shared bathrooms are fine!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J-ardagh
Genova
Reviewed 10 March 2011

I booked my room through the Venere Website and got an offer for a single room at 30€, I certainly wasn't expecting much for that price, but I expected that the location of the hostel (which is far from the city centre) and the old furniture would alone justify such a low price. Unfortunately for me the worst part was the noise in the room which was on the first floor just above a high street and a horrible noise. I could hear the noise even with the ear-plugs. At night-time the situation wasn't as bad, but still! On the second day I asked them to give me another room and for 50€ they gave me another one on the top floor, it wasn't noisy but I still couldn't get my well deserved sleep because on the following morning I was woken up early from a staff member who entered in my room since he had forgotten I was staying there!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business