Review Highlights
Hidden Gem

We decided to drop in. I thought it would be as boring as. How wrong was I. Scaled about five... read more

Reviewed 1 September 2018
rodneyc692
Hobart, Australia
via mobile
Excellent for the fan of medieval history

The archives carry a very interesting exposition of the accounting book covers, starting from the... read more

Reviewed 26 July 2018

from US$ 116.20
from US$ 290.40
from US$ 48.80
More Info
All reviews archives binding accounting objects fiorella century life
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Whilst the books and documents were as outstanding as in my previous visit, I felt the need to write this review in order to record how different this experience was. I have to say that sadly, on this occasion, the tour was absolutely woeful. The woman who was supposed to be showing us around didn't engage with us in any way whatsoever and actually sat down and read a magazine part way through the 'tour'. I find it unbelievably that the State Archives don't have someone who could actually present these amazing documents with a vague interest in what she is showing! When I asked to view the letters and records of the children who were sent to Santa Maria de Scala (as on my first visit) this was a big palaver before we were finally shown them. Fabulous materials, but a disappointing 'tour'.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

An absolutely amazing archive of the oldest documents I've ever seen. To be able to see and touch a land agreement (barter) from the 700's! Incredible.

Reviewed 23 February 2016

Free and open to the public, but there are set entrance times of 9:30, 10:30, and 11:30 a.m. Don't miss the view from the balcony, overlooking Piazza del Campo, the main city square!

Reviewed 24 September 2015

The archives would be well worth a visit, even if they are not free. Don’t anticipate being shown hundreds of bundles of old documents. There are plenty of these but the jewels of the display are the Tavolette de Biccherna, the painted covers of the bound archives, of which a large number are displayed. Starting in the late 1300s with simple paintings often showing the merchants counting out their profits, they become more elaborate over the years, with wonderful details of the streets, soldiers sallying forth from the walls, and ships at sea. Don’t miss the menu from the mid-1400s either! Quite a gem.

1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed 7 August 2015

I am not one for art galleries and museums as a rule but this was recommended and what an interesting hour so it was. Fantastic paintings from 13th century and shelf upon shelf of old accounts. A great view of Il Campo from the balcony