“Small, homey, super delicious”
Review of Osteria del Gatto

Osteria del Gatto
Ranked #46 of 574 Restaurants in Siena
Price range: US$ 17 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2018

This is a small, tucked away place with incredibly delicious food. Loads of Italian folks around us. The main person there is straightforward and does not speak tons of English, but I don't think this should be mistaken for unfriendliness. Compliment the food (and you will want to) and watch him beam. We especially loved the mussels we had there but also the classic pici was wonderful.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

We read all the positive reviews and decided to try.
Cant imagine who wrote past positive reviews!!
Not very welcoming, looked like could do with a spring clean.
Tuscan anti pasti, dry and well past best and clam pasta which was not very good. House wine not really drinkable.
Cant think of anything positive.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

I suspect the owners don't seek publicity, the whole tone of this modest restaurant is authenticity with original, local food on a brief menu. The best meal we had in Siena

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

This was recommended by our hotel. The menu is small with just daily specials to choose from but everything we had was obviously freshly made and delicious. Reservations are a must as there are only 8 or so tables. We would definitely go back.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Upon reading great reviews by Ric Steves, my family and I attempted to eat lunch here, but were summarily refused seating. We patiently waited just inside and were finally addressed by the staff. While waiting, several locals walked right by us into the restaurant with hearty wave to woman at the counter. We were then refused service. Maybe it was just a bad day, and I wasn't upset or bitter, but it was clear this was a local hangout. Siena is often overrun by tourists and daytrippers from Florence, so I understand the need for a local retreat for families and their friends. I just wish I hadn't wasted the time and effort to walk to the restaurant, as it is at the far South end of the old town and up on the highlands there.