“Great food and good price”

Antica Trattoria Papei
Ranked #117 of 560 Restaurants in Siena
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 December 2016

Our hotel recommended this restaurant to us. We were sceptical but it turned out to be a fantastic choice. The service was very good and friendly. Four of us, we had soup as starter, then pasta, tripes and stew veal with bones on for main. The food was superb. Even my Italian brother in law who is a real food critic thought the food was great. With half bottle of wine (most of us don't drink) it only came to €77.50 and no tips added. Highly recommended this place.

Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our experience here. The waiter gave wonderful recommendations about house specialties. The wine was wonderful. I had minestrone soup and sausage & beans in tomato sauce. My husband had wild boar picci and pheasant. The gluten free cookies were an added bonus, even though I was so stuffed, I greatly enjoyed them! It is clear that this place takes food and hospitality very seriously!

Reviewed 9 December 2016

We really enjoyed our lunch. We ate outside and had a beautiful view of the tower. Everything we ordered was great...except the beans in the red sauce. Didn't care for those at all..haha. The Wild Boar, fresh ravioli, bread soup...fantastic!

Reviewed 8 December 2016

We dined here for lunch and although the food was delicious, our experience was marred by the rude staff.

Recommended dish is the local specialty - pici pasta with cheese and pepper. It was amazing.
Also recommended is the pasta in amatriciana sauce.
The pasta with wild boar was very average, considering it was boar hunting season at the time. The meal tasted like a very lacklustre spaghetti bolognaise from a non-authentic restaurant.

We understand that the restaurant was busy and didn't mind to wait.
However being ignored is another matter. Our meals were served but without cutlery and parmesan cheese.
After 10 minutes of trying to gain the attention of wait staff, I stood up to help myself to what we needed, from the (empty) neighbouring table.
Suddenly a waiter appeared, demanding to know what I was doing...and he outright accused me of "Stealing Someone's Job". He was very aggressive and confrontational and caused a bit of a scene in front my friends. So rude.

Based on the service we experienced and for the price-point, I would not return.
Surely there are other restaurants in Siena, serving delicious food with a smile.

1  Thank dumpling_18
Reviewed 29 November 2016 via mobile

Their ravioli was superb! Their mushrooms are so fresh! Loved their wines and veal. The biscotti at the end was perfect. We would totally recommend it!