“Nice place”

Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Nice place”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Nice Victorian clean hotel. Great buffet breakfast, great location on the river and 10 mins walk to the famous tower. Great staff and a nice retreat from the chaos of Pisa .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The thing is, this was a very inexpensive hotel, and I think I'm past the days of trying to save a few bucks on my accomodations. With that in mind, I can say that the hotel is a good value but I personally wouldn't rebook.

Here are the cons:
Room was very old and felt dirty. The walls needed to be painted. There were cracked tiles on the floors. The bedding was pretty threadbare and I thought a bit scratchy. The pillows were thin and uncomfortable. The bed was 2 twins or full bed that had been put together to make a queen/king. This is done a lot and doesn't bother me. In this case, however, the two beds were very old and concave in the middle. There was then a hard ridge in the middle of the bed that was higher than either side of the bed. So, in essence, my boyfriend and I had separate beds. We were in a side bedroom, so we didn't have a view. I found the room to be very depressing to be in. Lastly, a downside to being centrally located, I was woken up a few times by drunken people yelling on the street and then the garbage trucks in the morning.

Here are the pros:
The service at the hotel was excellent. They were always very kind and helpful. When we got to the hotel I asked if there was a chance to upgrade to a room with a private bath and they were able to accomodate me. The staff speaks excellent English. The bathroom was very clean. The hotel is fun in that it is basically one large antique. I got a kick out of staying at the type of hotel I imagine when reading Agatha Christie books with Europeans on their holidays. The breakfast was really large and had a great variety.The location is great; it's not far from the train station and definitely in the heart of things.The price was the best we had in Italy. We had a room with a private bath for about 50 euro a night.
I peeked into one of the rooms facing the river and it looked quite a bit nicer than our room. The sun from the windows makes a difference and the room was overall a bit nicer. I was just peeking in, so I don't know if the bed was better.

Overall, this is a great find if your priorities are location and money. If comfort is a high priority, you probably won't be satisfied here.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel in March 2012 for a school trip and it was really nice. I'd heard a lot of reviews which said there were bed bugs but thankfully this seemed false. It was very clean and tired almost everywhere with the exception of under the bed which was covered in dust.

I stayed in a room with two others and it was really nice. It had an old, sort of Victorian style and an absolutely huge bathroom! It was so big that even the teachers came to have a look at it! The only downside about the decoration of this room is that one of the pictures on the wall seemed to have a mildly creepy character in it but this was tolerable. Our room also faced a little road and at night was a little bit noisy but was fine once you were asleep and none of us were woken up.

The location of this hotel is great. It's right on the river so you can cross over the bridge to go shopping or get to the train station or stay on your side of the river and visit the tower (or do more shopping!)

I would definately stay here again! One thing that caused a little bit of a problem though is that the keys were a bit difficult to use but after a while you got used to it!

Room Tip: Room 201 has the biggest bathroom out of the 15 our school had! But room 103, 203, 303, 403 etc. fac...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Eating breakfast in this hotel, I imagined that we were retracing the steps of generations of Victorian tourists visiting Italy, guide books in hand - though I was in jeans not a flowing dress and my guidebook was a modern one full of colorful photos, not Baedeker. We learned later that day that my imagination was right on target. Famous visitors from Charles Dickens to assorted European nobles and royalty to Theodore Roosevelt stayed here. The tiled floors, walls, etc. have been kept in their Victorian form, so you get a real sense of stepping into that period. We were told that the building itself is much, much older, but I didn't see any evidence of it (though someone with more training might). Much more interesting that a modern, could-be-anywhere-in-the-world hotel. I highly recommend it!
On the practical side: our bedroom and bathroom were clean and quiet, with plenty of hot water, plenty of space, etc. The bed was comfortable. The breakfast was ample with an extremely large selection. There is internet access in the lobby. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Norma F
Ottawa
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We were pleasantly surprised with the hotels beautiful antique furnishing and great views of the river and city. The owner booked us in and told us the hotel had been in his family since inception. The hotel parking is an adventure in its self. A concierge goes with you to show the way. Breakfast was tipical with pasteries, cereal and great coffee. The room furnishings were quite dated but clean. The price was reasonable for that time of year and not crowded.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple