“A Mediaeval Town” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lucca

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Europe
37 helpful votes
“A Mediaeval Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2007

We were travelling along the coast of Italy, when attracted by the word "mediaeval town" we decided to visit Lucca. It was summer time and we were desperate to have a dip in the sea. But none of us were disappointed with the detour to Lucca. We were told that you could see Lucca as a day trip from Florence or Pisa. In fact, we liked it so much and there was so much to see that we returned a few weeks later to spend a longer time within its mediaeval walls.

For me Lucca is one of the most wonderful towns in Italy. Its famous walls enclose a place that can be walked or cycled with ease. In fact, the best way to get your bearings is walking or cycling around the top of the walls. The centre is relatively unspoilt and is sprinkled with palaces, towers and almost countless splendid churches. The surrounding hills produce some good quality wines and arguably the finest olive oil anywhere, whilst the beaches and nightlife are but a small hop away.

2 Thank Wendy I
new jersey
57 helpful votes
“Lucca, a residential type of town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2007

Because I relied on tripadvisor for so much, I wanted to give a report on my trip. I will be doing indivicual summaries for each city I travelled to: Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan. We also went to Lucca,Pisa, Montepulciano,Varenna(Lake Como),Sorrento, Pompeii, and Positano. If you will be going to any of these places, my reviews will be posted on the appropriate sites.

When planning my trip, I read so much about pickpockets, scams, what to wear, etc. I live very close to NYC , been to many major cities in USA. I found that all these places in Italy were no different than any big city in the USA.

As for what to wear, I normally wear neutral tones. But for anyone who doesn't, I wouldn't go running out to buy clothes to look like a local. Except for Milan (all you need there is a pair of jeans, shirt and flats - alot were even wearing white sneakers!!) everyone was wearing white sneakers, flip flops or loafers, shorts, colorful shirts. I think I saw more tourists than locals. I realize that we are tourists and we shouldn't have to try to be someone we are not.

As I go through each place writing my reviews, I think of something.

I also neglected to mention driving in Italy. Driving in the city or the Autostrada reminded me of Boston or NYC taxi drivers. The winding roads are no different in California or by the mountains in Virginia or Grand Canyon,etc. No matter where you are, if you are unfamiliar with the roads, and not knowing where you are going, it's going to seem scary.

Lucca: What an adorable town. Now I know why many people opt to stay here instead of Florence. Convienent to many places by train. It definetly felt like a residential/park-like town with the carousel and band and restaurants surrounding the square.

What was interesting was how you had to walk through a tunnel (under the wall) to arrive to the town. The "wall" is short and wide and that's why you can "walk" or "bike" the wall. Like a running/walking path around a park.

Nice shops to purchase items.

1 Thank jacers1
California
31 helpful votes
“Very charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2006

Lucca was a wonderfully charming tow nthat is filled with locals riding bikes through a great walled town. I would not use this town as a base for exploring most of Tuscany but in addition to because it is further to the northwest than Siena, Chianti, Montalcino, etc.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Spot for families and bargain hunters”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2004

Just back from Easter holiday in Italy. We visited Florence, Siena and Lucca but in terms of size, quality, and accommodation, Lucca was the best. We took a family room at the San Frediano youth hostel which was spotlessly clean and woke up every morning to the spectacular Alps. Lucca is a walled town with museums, markets, art galleries, antique shops, a botanical garden and the city walls have a walk right around it so that you can enjoy all aspects of the city. Napolean's sister Elisa lived in Lucca and her house which is a museum has to be seen. You can rent a bicycle as most of the population get around in bicycles. The Italians were very helpful in the shops, eating out was very cheap, and the facilities at the hostel were second to none with dining facilities and if you wanted a day out, they made up a packed lunch for you. We took the train to go to Viareggio, a seaside town only 20 minutes away and it was a lovely place with lots of character and an excellent market. We'll be back in Lucca and Viareggio. The train system is excellent and the ideal way to travel.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cleveland, OH
11 helpful votes
“Passing thru Lucca”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2003

My daughter and I spent a few hrs. in Lucca on the way to Siena this past July '03. I was driving and disappointed in the parking situation.
Parked just outside the gate in a long line of cars under the trees . A tourist approached me and told me not to park there as a metermaid was patroling the area. If they were tourist freindly, this would have been an excellent place to accomodate cars - With or without a meter! We moved down the road to another 'parking place' and of course got a 35E computerized ticket. The city of Lucca is obviously using parking tickets as a revenue source - They aren't tourist friendly. We did take in the walled city and it was very nice but doesn't compare to Siena or San Gimignano.

3 Thank brandehoff

Been to Lucca? Share your experiences!