“Wonderful spot in wonderful Lucca”
Review of La Magnolia B&B

La Magnolia B&B
Ranked #140 of 176 Lucca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2011

We just returned from our trip to Italy where we stayed at B&B La Magnolia in beautiful Lucca. Lucca was one of the biggest surprises for us (in a good way!) and this B&B was the perfect place to be situated. You can't beat the location. Andrea was very welcoming and helpful and let us our borrow two bicycles to tour around the city, feeling more like locals than tourists. The room was clean and simple and the B&B is accessed through a hidden interior garden... very charming. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone interested in taking in the sights and sounds of wonderful Lucca!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Alessia I, Direttore at La Magnolia B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear Guest, just a quick note to let you know that B&B La Magnolia has taken over last May. We completely renovated every room, we made a nice garden where to have a typical italian breakfst and we equipped the building with free internet wifi. And we'd be delighted to host you in the future! Alessia

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 June 2011

This was my 3rd time in Lucca and 3rd place to stay. Magnolia was great and I will stay there again for sure. Andrea was so helpful with maps and suggestions of places that aren't in the guide books. The Bottega around the corner for instance was one of the best meals we had in Italy - it doesn't look like a restaurant from outside but the small dining room in back makes you feel like you are at a family's house for dinner. Magnolia is in an old palazzo that was owned by the Bottini family. Their summer villa is a few blocks and still within the walls which is funny. I love Lucca and you can tell Andrea does too and loves to share it with guests.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear guest, I'd love to inform ypou that b&b La Magnolia has been taken over last May. Each room has been completely renovated; the garden has ben set with table and chairs to enjoy every day's breakfast. And we'd be delighted to host you in the future to experience it again! Alessia

Reviewed 27 April 2011

Perfect location right in the walled city of Lucca. It's a very quiet, historical place so don't expect wild night life, although there are plenty of nice little bars nearby - several on the square closest to the hotel.

The brother and sister who run the hotel are very helpful and friendly, and gave us a discount when we asked for a tenner off the room as we were on a tight budget. It's not the cheapest hotel, but you're right in the centre of Lucca and it's a very charming little place to stay. Breakfast is at a choice of nearby cafes (you get a voucher to exchange for coffee and a pastry) and there are a few tables outside so you could easily have a little picnic or drink outside in the evening.

Would definitely recommend for a quaint, relaxing location and Lucca's very well located for travelling around Tuscany. We were told we had to park our car outside the city walls but actually found a little car park just around the corner from the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 April 2011

Andrea is a kind, friendly and helpful host for his small room in the heart of Lucca. We rented his room for the three of us; myself, my wife, and my 18 year old son. The room had old world charm and functional utilities.

However, it was way too small for three people (just a tiny bedroom and a small restroom with a very small shower). The Internet was expensive and it is not a true B&B. I'm told by someone else in Italy that most hotels in Italy are now calling themselves B&B's because Americans are looking for them; but they have no idea what they really are supposed to be. Instead of preparing breakfast for us, for the breakfast part of B&B, Andrea simply gave us each coupons to use in the morning at a local pastry shop (the Italian equivalent of a 7-11). It would buy only one of the least expensive pastries available and one small cup of coffee. The coupon was only good for about €3 worth of food and coffee. We had to purchase more on our own to satisfy our ordinary hunger. Note also that the unit has no air conditioning (just a floor fan), so I was glad I didn't visit in the summer. If you need a hair dryer, you need to ask for it when you check-in. Andrea does take credit cards.

Lucca is a very different kind of city from anywhere else I've ever been. It has a medieval feel to it. We found good food near the B&B at the Del Leo Trattoria for fairly reasonable prices. It is well attended by the locals. Nevertheless, if you are an American and you are planning to travel to Italy, I recommend you bring your own favorite container of seasoning salt because Italians prefer their food much blander than most Americans.

• Stayed: April 2011

Reviewed 17 November 2010

I arrived via taxi (highly recommend - especially if you are tired) from the Lucca train station and Andrea (owner with sister Laura) welcomed me and made me feel "At Home" in their beautiful garden filled with Magnolia trees. He helped me to orient myself to the Lucca "Maze" and suggested family owned local restaurants which represented true Lucca meals. I had a single room , with private bath, which was charming and looked out on the inner courtyard of the Palazzo Bottini. Presently, La Magnolia doesn't have a Breakfast room but you are given vouchers to the local Bar and Pasteria, that were good until 1 P.M.. It was nice to be able to sleep in. I so enjoyed mixing with the locals every morning over a cappucino, roll and water. My heart belongs in Lucca - grazie Andrea and Laura for being so gracious and patient with my limited Italian. Many of the guests took advantage of the bikes that were available to ride on the wall. I would recommend La Magnolia to all and if you mention Rick Steves you get a nice discount.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo