“Sunday Brunch was fantastic”

Ristorante Antico Caffe delle Mura
Ranked #313 of 669 Restaurants in Lucca
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 February 2016

A group of friends and I were dying to try their Sunday brunch We weren't sure what to expect, most of us being expats living here in Lucca...but I for one, was blown away. It was my first time inside the restaurant, and even on a gray and rainy Sunday, it was absolutely gorgeous. We were greeted with a smile and received optimal and very attentive service. The buffet didn't disappoint. The pancakes were delicious and flavored with a hint of lemon, the eggs, bacon and sausage were savory, there was lots of fresh baked goods and beautiful fruit and yogurt. That's just some of what I ate! I would definitely return. It was a wonderful way to spend a few hours together on a Sunday.

Reviewed 19 November 2015

We chose Café della Mura for our pre -wedding night and we could have been not happier with our choice. The location is just unique – simply outstanding!!! Being on top of those impressive historical walls in an historical building gives an atmosphere which is hard to describe. It was just fantastic!
The Café itself has been renovated lately and it is very tastefully furnished and decorated. They did really such a good job in turning this into a very beautiful place.
Before the event we met with Simona who spoke very well English and who came up with great ideas how to decorate and organize our aperetivo. We discussed any single little detail. She took notes and on that day everything was just perfect and exactly as we discussed beforehand. The team was so professional and reliable, very kind and helpful , the buffet with appetizers was delicious and we looooved the decoration with candles along the walls , the fire torches and the lounge areas and table area. We could have not imagined celebrating on a better place and we are extremely grateful for what they have done. All our guests were totally impressed and our little aperetivo turned into a long unforgettable party night. THANK YOU!

1  Thank BridgetCar
Reviewed 17 October 2015

We chose this restaurant for its beautiful interior, position on le mura, and also the very enticing and competent looking menu. But we were virtually the only customers and, although the room was beautiful, the execution of our meal failed to meet the promise of the menu. We were greeted with a little appetiser - a cherry tomato with mozzarella on a stick, but the quality of the mozza was not a good advertisement for the restaurant and we started to worry about what was to come... We'd both chosen the very enticing classic of courgette flowers stuffed with salt cod brandade - but the oil in which they'd been deep fried had been "dirty", and we each had one fritter that had exploded inside so the filling was black. Those should not have been served. Fresh oil and more discretion could have lifted this from average to good.
My husband's pasta (with clams and courgettes) did pass muster - it was fresh tasting and he enjoyed it. I had a bony rabbit fricassee which was probably more akin to the classic pork in milk dish than the French version of fricassee which I;d been (erroneously) expecting. It had a lingering and rather unpleasant taste which ruined it for me.
We didn't like the way the food was presented - it looked too amateur... But a few tweaks could make this into the better quality restaurant that its setting and interior deserve.

1  Thank CarinLondon
Reviewed 2 August 2015

This restaurant has everything going for it; an iconic building in great location. The interiors are elegant although scarcely used in summer. We've come here three times over past ten years and in past couple of years the cooking has been superb, original and delicious. My baccala stuffed zucchini flowers in tempura were the tops, my husbands pasta dish original and scrumptious. His fish soup excellent, my tordelli Lucchese traditional and perfect. So what's wrong? Ambience for a start. They have a terrace on a patio but the night we were there the tables were arranged far out on a tatty piece of leaf strewn parkland ill lit and too far for the inexperienced waitress to go back and forth comfortably. The welcome was overly casual, service a bit hit and miss, They didn't have our choice of local wine...waitress returned with a same priced bottle completely different in style and from a different wine region. Really the whole experience lets down a superb chef. This was Friday night at the height of the tourist season and perhaps they had 15 covers in a large space. Time they put their thinking caps on.

2  Thank Wabamik
Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

We stumbled across this restaurant one evening and were treated to a truly authentic, five star meal. The service was perfect; friendly and attentive. The food absolutely delicious (my main was pork encrusted beef with asparagus) and the location is on the most beautiful stretch of the wall - in my opinion!. We arrived at 7pm, which admittedly is very early to eat in Italy, and sat out in the large leafy garden, with one or two other tables dotted around us later. It is a short walk from the centre, I can only imagine this is why it was so quiet in comparison to others. This would be a perfect location for a large group meal or even wedding party, but also for couples and friends. Our three course meal, bottle of wine and 2 coffees only cost €70! I will most certainly visit again, it was my favourite meal during our trip to Lucca

2  Thank Heatherelliott3