Lucca is a wonderful town. I have visited twice. It’s the type of town I would like to submerse myself is for several months and really live like the Italians. I visited on a day trip 10 years ago; this time we stayed two nights and I wished we could have stayed one more (as part of a two week trip to 5 parts of Italy – Lake Como, Florence, Radda/Chianti, Rome).
We selected the Alla Corte hotel strictly based on the Trip Advisor reviews. While some of the reviews seem over the top I wasn’t disappointed in the hotel. The location is very convenient for walking all over town. (Definitely stay inside the wall). It was noisy at night outside our room but quiet by midnight. The hotel is surrounded by restaurants and shops. Its one street off the main shopping street – via Fillungo. Can't beat the location. Townspeople are friendly and try to speak English.
Take the train to Lucca - driving is not advised or needed – It’s a small town. Take a taxi from train station to hotel (5 euros?) to get oriented and then you can walk everywhere. We rented a car as we were leaving town and bang it up before getting out of the town – seriously don’t drive. The streets are about a car width wide! Be sure to rent bikes and ride around the wall (2.50 euros for an hour) – very fun and relaxing and good people watching!
We stayed in the Camelia room on second floor above reception. It was probably midsize by Europeon standards. We had a large window that looked down to the street in front of the hotel. Bath had a very nice tub and shower. All the amenities like shampoo, hairdryer, etc included, plus mini bar and flatscreen TV. It also had a room safe with a personal combination. The bed wasn’t the most comfortable but that may be personal taste. There is a computer with free internet in the reception level.
The breakfast was very good by European standards - (breads, cheeses, meats, cereal, yogurt, fruit). Plus they had a do-it-yourself fresh orange juicer and a big basket of oranges. I spent most of my time making OJ since I like freeze squeezed much more than bottled. Breakfast is served until 11am so you don’t have to be rushed in the morning and you can take food with you for snacks during the day.
The two male front desk attendants are sufficient in answering questions but not obviously friendly. On the day we were leaving there was a young female who was nicer, but she advised us on driving the car back to the hotel to get our luggage and that was not good advice. If you do want to rent a car as you leave – take a taxi and exit the wall to get your car and do not drive back in!
Of all our Italy travels we had the best sliced pizza in Lucca. Unfortunately I didn’t write down the name of it but it was a tiny shop with just a couple of tables. Contemporary store front in a very old building near a piazza. Most places sell the whole pizza so perhaps you can ask around for the places that sell by the slice. For other meals we just picked a restaurant while wandering around. We had one of our best desserts at Osteria Baralla – chocolate pear cake.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- I would like to add information for all the customers that book to our hotel,because cause the limit traffic zone there are a lot of mistake and trouble, so I would like to add in the form confirmation or straight away in the hotel's information, the right route for to reach us. Below there are description in english and Italian.1) YOU CAN REACH THE HOTEL BY CAR You are allowed to get inside the walls from Santa Maria gate ONLY. As soon as you pass through the gate turn right taking Via della cavallerizza St. keep going straight on and you'll get into San Frediano Piazza where the church is, you mustgo all around this church untill you'll find Via cesare Battisti St. on your letf side. Get into via Cesare Battisti St. take the secondstreet on your left side wich is Via degli angeli St. Our staff will help you out with your luggage. HOTEL STAFF WILL TAKE THE PLATENUMBER OF YOUR CAR, that has to be send it to the police department and then they will show you where to park. YOU MUST LEAVE YOUR CAR KEYSAT THE FRONT DESK DURING ALL YOUR STAY. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your Alla Corte Degli Angeli reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Alla Corte Degli Angeli Hotel Lucca
- Alla Corte Degli Angeli Lucca