This hotel felt human. There was a great sense of Florentine life in it, making the stay in the hotel as much an exploration of Florence as seeing all the big sites. The hotel was authentic in decor and the communal sitting rooms brought me back in time. The dining room was lovely. Breakfast wasn't the best that I had on my trip, but it was definitely good and had a strong assortment of choices. The staff was attentive and friendly. My only complaints would be about the shower in our room which only produced cold water, the clumsy key that we had to lug around, and the mosquitos in the room. However, our bedroom view was fantastic since we were on the top corner of the hotel, with the side window facing Santa Maria Novella and the front window and bathroom window facing the square. Lovely! Again, I felt like I didn't need to leave my room to experience Florence. However, visiting the main sites was very easy from the hotel. The Duomo is about 5 minutes walk, Pitti Palace about 15 minutes and the Accademia with the David is about 10 minutes. I took the train in and out of Florence so I didn't have to pay a taxi to get to and from the hotel. I just walked to the hotel. And I also took a tour of the Tuscan countryside with Walkabout Florence, and most tour groups actually leave from the train station, so my location was very convenient for that early morning tour also. I was able to have breakfast at the hotel and still make my tour with a quick 3 minute walk to the station. Finally, there are a lot of nice convenient shops nearby, such as a local pastry shop that sold cheap sandwhiches, fantastic donoughts, and reasonably priced water. After a long day of sightseeing, it was nice to pick up a quick little something at that pastry shop that was perhaps five shops down from the hotel towards the train station. The people there were friendly, and the shop stayed open later than others. Overall, fantastic experience at this hotel! It's pricey but worth the luxury, ambiance, convenience, location, and attentive service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All the rooms are furnished with air conditioning/heating, direct dial telephone, free Wi-Fi internet connection or lan cable connection, hair-dryer, minibar, bath or shower, electric safe, flat screen tv, courtesy set of "Officina Santa Maria Novella," vanity mirror, sleepers, tea pot with herb tea. Superior room with view has a splendid view over the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella, flat screen TV, mini-bar and a splendid marble bathroom ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Santa Maria Novella Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Santa Maria Novella Florence
- Hotel Santa Maria Novella