All reviews mercato nuovo breakfast room guest house residential building tea coffee train station small fridge double glazing room facing a nice place to stay location is fantastic sitting room third floor central florence upon check room was large single room
Reviewed 29 April 2008

We recently enjoyed a stay at Relais Cavalcanti. High marks on everything from pre-arrival communications with the hotel, to the rooms and friendliness of staff. I had some concerns about noise because of Cavalcanti's central location but new soundproof windows completely eliminate the hum of the city. Rooms are clean and simple but with personality. Views from our room were of a local market, the tower of Palazzo Vecchio and the red tiled roofs of Florence. The bathroom we had was quite large by European standards with lots of hot water. The location of Relais Cavalcanti puts the best of beautiful Florence at your doorstep. Owners Anna and Francesca are young, enthusiastic and helpful. I have already recommended Cavalcanti to two friends.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 5 January 2008

We stayed just for three nights and it was great! The house itself is absolutely lovely with antiques and a nice relaxing atmosphere. Our room was amazing, full of interesting furnishings which actually gave me some ideas how to decorate my house back home. It was of reasonable size in relation to European hotel rooms. The washroom was impeccably clean, and the towels were changed for us every other day.

Anna and Francesca themselves are warm caring people, who go out of there way to make sure you enjoy your stay. They made us feel very welcome at all times and had a great deal of knowledge to offer about Florence and southern Tuscany, of course. They provide maps and a lifetime's worth of information that tourists will truly appreciate. Note check with Anna as she does reserve tickets for the Uffizi too.

The house is fantastically situated, a 2 minutes walk from the Ponte Vecchio and the Duomo, 10 minutes from the train station! Theres lots of great restaurants within walking distance and good bars. For a VERY reasonable price you get a lovely room with period furniture and a very friendly welcome. Just make sure you call in advance.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SV_London15
Reviewed 1 November 2007

I heard about Relais Cavalcanti from a friend who is a native of Florence, and my stay was absolutely wonderful, the best of my 4 trips to this great city. I got in from the States over an hour before normal check in, but Anna made sure my room was ready within 5 minutes of my arrival. She could not have been nicer and I saw her frequently during my stay--she relayed messages and was more than happy to provide information about just about anything I could think to ask. Later I met Francesca who was equally kind and accommodating, and she arranged my taxi to the airport and a wake up call to be sure I made my very early flight (something I worried a bit about, needlessly as it turns out). The common rooms, dining and reception, are very nice and I met several other guests (Russia, England, Australia, and the US), especially in the mornings, because it is much more like a family home than a hotel. The dining room, in addition to the complementary refreshments, has a nice selection of books about Florence and Tuscany to help make or alter touring plans. Relais Cavalcanti is very clean and safe, and rooms have TV, minirefrigerator, and telephone, and nice furnishings and artwork. The location is fantastic, within walking distance of everything. I felt very pampered and cared for my entire stay--a wonderful accommodation and the best staff! Lucy, Georgia, USA

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
5  Thank Lucia48
Reviewed 31 October 2007

I was looking for somewhere in central Florence that could cater for a party of 7 on a budget, and I found a gem in Relais Cavalcanti!

From the moment I sent my first email requiring about availability, Anna and Francesca were really helpful. They sent me all the information about what they offered and the website itself has plenty of photos. When I finally decided on dates, they helped me with the train timetable from Pisa airport to Florence, recommended taking a taxi from the station but provided detailed instructions if we wanted to walk.

When we arrived on the Sunday, there were 3 maps of Florence ready for us (1 per room) - carefully marked with all the best sights, markets, grocery store, supermarket and restaurants. Nothing was too much trouble!

The rooms themselves were ideal for our needs. The beds were comfortable with clean linen every day. Each room had a small teelvision and a small fridge (with complimentary water and Cola). Our bedroom looked over over the new market but the shutters, windows and additional double glazing meant we were never disturbed by any noise. Our bathroom was large and we had the choice or a shower or a bath - bliss!

The kitchen has plenty of mugs, coffee, chocolate and tea bags to make yourself a drink, accompanied by lovely little plum cakes and choclate cakes. We bought pastries each morning for our breakfast and just made ourselves a drink - relaxed, listened to music and had a chat.

Anna and Francesca are at pains to point out that there are steps up to the first floor and then a small lift for the rest of the way. But please don't ignore Relais Cavalcanti just because of this! Our party included two ladies in their seventies and they were both charmed by the place - they just took their time on the stairs.

All in all a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank RedSpitfire
Reviewed 20 October 2007

We cheated by booking there after three sets of friends stayed there at various times during the last 3 years. After listening to them we knew this would be our choice as well.

We enjoyed a great location - easily within walkiing distance of major attractions e.g., Uffrizi. Galleria de Accademia, Duomo, Ponte Vecchio.

Our room was quite roomy (with private bath), and we enjoyed the kitchen where we were able to make ourselves a cup of coffee or enjoy
a snack.

Anna and Francesca, sisters and owners, are also quite helplful in bookiing reservations, museum tickets, taxis, or whatever other assistance you might request.

Overall we couldn't have enjoyed our stay more and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank BlancaLasVegas