All reviews mercato nuovo breakfast room guest house residential building tea coffee train station small fridge double glazing room facing sitting room fantastic location third floor central florence upon check room was large francesca map
Reviewed 31 October 2007

I was looking for somewhere in central Florence that could cater for a party of 7 on a budget, and I found a gem in Relais Cavalcanti!

From the moment I sent my first email requiring about availability, Anna and Francesca were really helpful. They sent me all the information about what they offered and the website itself has plenty of photos. When I finally decided on dates, they helped me with the train timetable from Pisa airport to Florence, recommended taking a taxi from the station but provided detailed instructions if we wanted to walk.

When we arrived on the Sunday, there were 3 maps of Florence ready for us (1 per room) - carefully marked with all the best sights, markets, grocery store, supermarket and restaurants. Nothing was too much trouble!

The rooms themselves were ideal for our needs. The beds were comfortable with clean linen every day. Each room had a small teelvision and a small fridge (with complimentary water and Cola). Our bedroom looked over over the new market but the shutters, windows and additional double glazing meant we were never disturbed by any noise. Our bathroom was large and we had the choice or a shower or a bath - bliss!

The kitchen has plenty of mugs, coffee, chocolate and tea bags to make yourself a drink, accompanied by lovely little plum cakes and choclate cakes. We bought pastries each morning for our breakfast and just made ourselves a drink - relaxed, listened to music and had a chat.

Anna and Francesca are at pains to point out that there are steps up to the first floor and then a small lift for the rest of the way. But please don't ignore Relais Cavalcanti just because of this! Our party included two ladies in their seventies and they were both charmed by the place - they just took their time on the stairs.

All in all a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank RedSpitfire
Reviewed 20 October 2007

We cheated by booking there after three sets of friends stayed there at various times during the last 3 years. After listening to them we knew this would be our choice as well.

We enjoyed a great location - easily within walkiing distance of major attractions e.g., Uffrizi. Galleria de Accademia, Duomo, Ponte Vecchio.

Our room was quite roomy (with private bath), and we enjoyed the kitchen where we were able to make ourselves a cup of coffee or enjoy
a snack.

Anna and Francesca, sisters and owners, are also quite helplful in bookiing reservations, museum tickets, taxis, or whatever other assistance you might request.

Overall we couldn't have enjoyed our stay more and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BlancaLasVegas
Reviewed 18 October 2007

I dont believe very much in details given on a Website. But relais Cavalcanti offered much more than its website, Very good location, Well decorated, extremelly clean, kindness, etc.

I would strongly recomend it

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SergioBuenosAIres
Reviewed 8 October 2007

We stayed at this hotel for three nights and thought it was perfect for our needs. The location is excellent - all the major sights are a short walk away. The room itself was clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was quite spacious by European standards. They do not offer breakfast, but there are many cafes nearby where we could grab a bite. All in all, a great deal for 110 euros a night. The only drawback is that there isn't always a receptionist available and we had to plan around the times it was open for check out, returning keys, etc. Not a big deal, though.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank coloradojem
Reviewed 27 September 2007

I wrote the Relais Cavalcanti's first TripAdvisor review years ago and I just returned for a 2nd stay September 16th-19th. All of the wonderful things I remembered are still true! It is an affordable, perfect gem tucked away in the heart of the beautiful city of Florence.

We booked the superior room named Pontormo, which was spacious (the bathroom alone is luxuriously large, especially for European city standards), spotless, and comfortable -- with air conditioning, a small television, and a mini-fridge. The beautifully-decorated room overlooked the Mercato del Porcellino and had a view of the clocktower in the Palazzo Vecchio. The double windows provided a good sound barrier if we needed one.

Relais Cavalcanti's common rooms (sitting room and kitchen/dining room) are charmingly and simply decorated. Also, while it is true that the Relais Cavalcanti does not provide breakfast, their kitchen is stocked with tasty treats like plum cakes (my favorite!), little muffins, and snack cakes; and there is coffee, hot chocolate, and tea -- all available to guests any time of the day.

Their location, in the heart of Florence, is sensational. Tourists can masquerade as locals -- entering/exiting the building of historic apartments as if you truly lived there -- and within minutes you can walk to the Uffizi Gallery, Palazo Vecchio, Ponte Vecchio, Santa Croce, the Santa Maria Cathedral, the Duomo, the Pitti Palace, and the train station. No need for a car, the bus, or a taxi -- you can explore Florence on foot!

Sisters Anna and Francesca run a wonderful B&B and provide excellent, warm, and friendly service. Upon arrival, you are presented with a map of Florence with highlighted attractions, as well as marked locations of their recommended restaurants, markets, and bakeries. (Their recommended Trattoria Nella can be doubly recommended by us, too!) If we needed anything else, the sisters helped us any way they could -- from providing an iron and ironing board, to answering our bizarre questions about Italian culture, to calling a taxi for our airport departure.

I dream of visiting Florence again (hopefully in the somewhat near future) and I would surely book my stay at the Relais Cavalcanti again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple