“Positive Feedback from me!”

Hotel Kursaal Ausonia
Ranked #128 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Arizona
“Positive Feedback from me!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

The staff seemed to be all young kids, colleges students. But they were all very nice and freindly and anxious to help. The hotel added to the Florence experince, a bit worn and weatherd but that's the way old Tuscany is! The location was fantastic and the rooms were very clean. I was very pleased with our 9 night stay. Thanks Kursaal Ausonia!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed in this hotel just last week, in the middle of March. I had a double room which was nice and clean and had a large bathroom. I thought the floor tiles would be cold but they weren't. It was a little noisy being right on the street but only with the windows opened. It was great to have a mini-fridge in the room. I never noticed any hallway noise. The people in the room next to me were noisy but that was only for one night. The staff were very friendly and helpful with directions to museums and where to eat, etc. I was able to use the computer when I needed to. The breakfast was very nice with milk, juice, breads, cake, meat and cheese. I loved my time in Florence and a large part of that was because of where I stayed. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Provogirl1
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

We made reservations in this hotel based on the combination of a cheap price and TripAdvisor recommendations. I must say I was quiet disappointed when I entered the room. However, after some days I was a bit more pleased.

To sum up, here are some pros and cons.

Cons:
Most importantly, the hotel is very noisy! Do not stay here if you are easily wakened! One morning around 7 o’clock we were waken by a lot of people checking out, screaming and running in the hallway. The walls are very thin so it seems and sounds like the people outside in the hallway are actually inside your room. If you stay here, be sure to bring earplugs!

The rooms are ok. There are tiles on the floor. The room seemed kind of dirty, but it was actually clean. The bathroom in our room was very small, but I guess that is very typical for Italy. The towels are paper-thin, but that is also typical for Italy.

Do not expect a good breakfast. Our first day nearly all the food was already eaten, and the only things left were some cakes, yoghurt and muesli. The other days the breakfast was better. It might be a good Italian breakfast, but too sweet and light for us used to a German/American breakfast.

When booking our two rooms, we specifically asked for separate beds. Both of the rooms had double beds, and in one of the rooms the bed could not be separated. In one of the rooms the mini bar/fridge was not working, but this was fixed after three days of reminders.

Pros:
This hotel is very cheap! The location is good. The staff is helpful and speak good English. The rooms are cleaned every day.

Conclusion:
I think that the other reviews on Trip Advisor are overrated. This is an ok and cheap three-star hotel. It probably gives you good value if you do not care that much about where you stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank ST1986
alarigo1, Owner at Hotel Kursaal Ausonia, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
We are a 3 stars budget hotel that is located in the centre of Florence, Italy.

Budget:
If you are looking for luxury then you need to look somewhere else.
We are your hotel if you are looking for a simple, clean, central place that is environment friendly and that has got helpful staff.

Florence, Italy:
when coming to Florence and in Italy in general be prepared to have sweet breakfasts as the typical Italian breakfast is. Even if our breakfast is reacher than the average typical Italian breakfast it is NOT a German/American one.
Food is one of the great emotions of Italy, why not starting being Italian from the moment you open your eyes?
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We stayed at this really friendly hotel during an unseasonably cold spell. The room was easy to warm up with the air conditioning but we did have to use an additional (provided) blanket to stay warm in the night. We had a room at the back which meant there was no traffic noise and a superior which meant it was a good size too. The floor was tiled which I'm sure is a real advantage in the heat of the summer. The bathroom was well equipped and spotless as was the rest of the hotel. It's an eco hotel so you can choose how often you change your sheets and towels and the toiletries are all in dispensers.The owners were there every morning and really helpful with local eating places etc. There was a never ending supply of breakfast-usual Italian with lots of sweet things but ham and cheese too. There was plenty for everyone even if you were a 'tail-ender'.
If you book directly with them online then internet access is free otherwise there is a cost.
The hotel was a 10 minute walk from the main station and from the duomo so really well placed for everything. Loads of places to eat within 5 minutes walk too. We'd stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
I am very happy that you have enjoyed our stay and theat you pointed out in sucha nice way our main characteristics.fantastic location, cleanliness, environmetfriendly attitude and helpfull staff.
Thanks
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed in the Hotel Kursaal & Ausonia in September and had a room that faced the back. The room was relatively small, but not unusually so by European standards. We were lucky - we had a room that had a tiny 'standing room' balcony which we enjoyed - facing other balconies and the back patio of the restaurant around the corner. The hotel was in a great location for us - it was a less than 10 minute walk to the train station and the main areas of old Florence were close at hand. The staff were helpful, and the restaurant around the corner that they recommended was very handy for a couple of dinners after a long day of 'touring'. The owners of the hotel also run a tour company (Guided Florence Tours) which we would highly recommend! We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank diascott
I am so glad that you have enjoyed both the stay at the hotel and the tours you did with me and my partner Simona with guidedflorencetours.com.
Thanks for taking your time to write such positive comments about both your experiences!