“The most wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel David

Hotel David
Ranked #1 of 421 Hotels in Florence
“The most wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews. Wonderful stay with gracious and friendly staff in beautiful surroundings. Felt more like a bed and beakfast than a hotel. Sun filled spacious room with our own balcony. Many extras at no or little charge. Free mini-bar and afternoon cocktail hour as well as a scrumptous breakfast and wi-fi. They also allow you to use their phone to place international calls (again at no charge) and use of their laundry facilities for a nominal fee. Did I mention how charming this place is? We will be back!

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Amy W
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your post on this traveler community we have worked so hard during wintertime that all this signs of appreciation are like water for marathon runner!
Gabriele Cecioni
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

To celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary we decided to travel to Florence by train where we chose to stay at the Hotel David, having read so many favourable reviews.
On arrival we were given a warm welcome by the receptionist, and on proceeding to our room discovered to our delight and surprise, a bottle of sparkling wine in a spectacular ice bucket with a lovely card and message from the hotel staff. What a way to start our break! Furthermore, we had a lovely spacious room, beautifully refurbished, with doors leading to a balcony complete with table and chairs, and a view over Florence with the hills in the background. What more could one want?
This is a lovely place to stay. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff who are charming, courteous and most helpful. We had arranged in advance for the hotel to book us dinner on the night of our arrival, in a local restaurant. We enjoyed both the Trattoria Gigi and also Osteria Antica Mescita, both offering different experiences of dining Italian style, and both within walking distance from the hotel.
The hotel location is good and we enjoyed walking into Florence along the banks of the River Arno. Alternatively, taking the bus from outside the hotel is very convenient and tickets are available from the Reception.
Breakfast was plentiful and delicious, with ample choice including delicious tartes and cakes, plus specialities of the region. We were too busy to take full advantage of the Happy Hour, but it is amazing that the hotel arranges this for its guests. The downstairs lounge is an attractive area to sit and relax at the end of a busy day. When the weather is warmer I can imagine that sitting outside in the garden with a glass of wine and tapas would be the perfect end to a day in Florence. I can't recommend the Hotel David highly enough. It provides so much for its guests and is to be congratulated for its customer service. Thank you again to the hotel staff for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor in Room 33 , a room with a balcony and a view!
3 Thank JacquiNorfolk
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your post I believe that now everyone know about room number 33! We wanted to be our Guests to present our new rooms and as I see they are starting but I'm still waiting to see who will be the first to post a photo becuase I will not publish any on the official website!

White Plains, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We spent four nights at this recently renovated hotel. Our room was lovely and very comfortable. The lobby was also very comfortable and attractive. We particularly enjoyed the terrace in front of the hotel, where there are tables and chairs, and where free hors d'oevres and wine are served during "Happy Hour" from 6 to 8 PM.

Breakfast at the hotel is ample and offers many choices. Happy hour was so good that on several occasions we made a dinner of it before collapsing in bed from our day of walking in Florence. The service at both breakfast and at happy hour is gracious.

All of the staff of the hotel were pleasant and helpful and very accessible when we needed directions or advice.

The hotel feels almost like a luxury hotel, but is more relaxed. The rates are more than reasonable--terrific value.

The Hotel David is located less than a mile from downtown Florence in a neighborhood that is very pleasant and much quieter than the area of Florence that draws all of us tourists. The first day we walked to the center of the city, but after that we took the bus, just to save as much energy as we could for your explorations of the museums and shops of the city. Florence itself is infinitely intriguing. We could have spent much more time there.

Overall we highly recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Michael F
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your words of appreciation todays luxury hotels are the ones that keep good value at a reasonable rate and looks like we are only a few.....

Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Others have described the many great things this hotel offers - and I would agree with all the positive comments.
For us it was the service from the staff that set this above other places we stayed.
We arrived by bicycle and left our bikes locked at the back of the hotel while we wandered round the city. It rained when we were out but when we returned someone from the hotel had gone out and put plastic bags over the saddles of the bikes. That exemplifies the genuine concern that we felt the staff showed to all their clients. They sorted out bus tickets for us and phoned to pre-book our visits to galleries (you pay the gallery extra for this but it saves ages of queuing).
My only negative is that the hotel is located near a fairly busy junction so there was some traffic noise in the early morning.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Neville_G
Dear Guest,

All our Guests are like friend to look after so wouldn't you have done the same thing for a friend!
Take care and I hope you enjoied your bike trip!

Brooklyn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff was courteous and helpful, and the accommodations were excellent.
When I arrived at my next destination, I realized that I had accidentally left my cell phone at Hotel David. When I called the next morning, they had found my phone and set it aside for me. They then mailed it to me without difficulty.
I would highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Florence.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jay T
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your word of appreciation we have just done what it is usually done when you leave something at your friend house....and we say in this occasion that you ment to stay longer......
See you next time!