See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I travel a lot and had one of my worst experiences here. I reserved a room over a month ahead of time, gave the hotel my credit card number and received a confirmation voucher from the hotel. When we arrived at 1:30pm, the hotel was locked and closed. There was a cell phone number on the door, so we called and someone arrived in about 10 minutes. The hotel staff explained that they had made a mistake and had recorded our reservation to start the following day. He said there were no openings in other hotels due to a convention and he would pay to the difference to put us in a nicer hotel outside the city and gave us 20 euro for the cab ride. When we arrived at the new place it was a hostel, way out of town. With dorm style rooms and no bedding!

We called back the Tourist House Duomo to complain and he said there were no other options. We asked him why he lied and told us we were going to a better hotel out of town and not told us it was a hostel and he just said "No other options" and hung up. So I was forced to have my 75 year old mother sleep in a dorm hostel and walk 5km to the historic center. I was so furious!!! That's the whole reason we booked ahead and confirmed it with my credit card!

I understand mistakes happen, but this is inexcusable! And to make it worse, the employee we were working with gave us a horrible attitude and even though he admitted it was the hotel's mistake, never said sorry and acted like we were a big inconvenience to his afternoon.

I DO NOT recommend this hotel, and would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank ab1847
Reviewed 7 June 2009

My wife and I stayed at Tourist House Duomo in May 2009. Overall we were pleased with our room and especially with the hotel's location.

The hotel is a very short walk from the main train station, and as Florence is an easy city to explore on foot, the central location comes in very handy. The Duomo is practically right outside the front door, and other sights like the Uffizi or Rialto bridge are just a few minutes down the street. As the location is in one of the busiest parts of the city there are ample dining and shopping options all around.

The hotel room itself was extremely spacious, if a bit spartan. The rooms were kept very clean and Mario and the rest of the staff always seemed very friendly. Being right off of one of Florence's main squares, there tended to be a fair amount of noise late at night, but otherwise our stay was pleasant.

When we stayed here the credit card machine was "broken" (I put that in quotes as they have a framed sign over the desk about the credit card machine, making me suspicious about the situation), so be prepared to head to the ATM across the street and pay your bill in cash.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2008

I just wanted to let everyone know that I booked this property due to the great reviews I had read on this site. I was not disappointed!!! I was traveling with 4 other people...3 in their 50's and one in their 30's....I am in my 20s. With that range of ages you can imagine each person had specific request. Tourist House met most of the requirements. I will say the only thing anyone complained about was the beds are a little "firm". In all fairness, through our 2 week travels through Italy firm beds seem to be the norm. The rooms were very spacious with huge tall ceilings, the bathrooms were a tad small, but doable, the ac was great . Breakfast is NOT served here, but there are many places nearby to go to. The location was the best that I got for the price we paid. Literally the Duomo is at the end of the street (you can get there in 3 min.) and the train station is at the other end of the street, which is like 5-10 min walk. Lastly, I cannot say enough nice things about Mario and staff. Mario was very accomadating when we arived at 930 am (check-in is 2pm i think) AND also allowed us to leave our stuff in one of the rooms past check out while we went on one last tour (check out is 11am our tour was until 1pm). Thanks for a great stay Mario!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 7 August 2008

We stayed at the Tourist house Duomo in July. We are a young couple who have been traveling around Europe and arrived in Florence by train. It is about a 5/10 minute walk from the station, and about 30 seconds away from the Duomo, which I think it a perfect location to explore Florence from. Luckily I had read previous reviews which mentioned that although the address says “Via de Cerretani 1” number one is not at either end of the street, but in the middle! If you are walking towards the Duomo from the station it is on the right hand side of the street. Just keep an eye out for metal plaques next to doorways- this one has it’s name on the plaque. When we arrived Mario let us in- he’s very friendly, and although he doesn’t speak much English it didn’t matter- we got by anyway! The room itself was really nice! In a city where it is hard to find space, these apartments are very spacious- helped by the very high ceilings. Lovely and cool in the summer, especially helped by the air con! The bathroom was clean and had everything you needed. The rooms are cleaned daily, and the lady who does them is lovely, and does a fantastic job. Every day we would come back to our apartment and find out clothes which we had strewn across chairs or over our bags, had been folded, and our books and basically anything we left lying around had been tidied up. You don’t get breakfast provided, as it common with many places which are apartments, not hotels, and I don’t think it’s an issue- you are based in the centre of a beautiful city, finding somewhere to grab some breakfast is not hard! As the other reviews mention there aren’t great views out the windows, but this didn’t bother us, as the rooms were bright, and you only had to walk out the front door to see the Duomo. There is also a lift at the property if you struggle with stairs. I would definitely stay at this property again and recommend it to others wanting to visit Florence. Florence is a fantastic city- great for art lovers- and also great as a base from which to explore other areas of Tuscany (e.g. Siena, Pisa, Chianti).

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank DJMLondon
Reviewed 17 April 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights.Room was better then expected.. I booked double room, but was given triple..so i had alot of space,, unbeliable for italy..
Room and bathroom was very clean.. Location is great... We actually walked from Rail station to hotel with our roll on laggage..about 7 minutes. if you follow map directions,.very easy to find...keep right side of street. Hotel located near Duomo (so if you are photographer you have luck to take photo when threre are no one around)...Also you can walk to Famous Bridge.. about 10-15 minutes. Alot of caffe shops and restaraunts around..Breakfast is not included.but guy can give you coupon to go to place for 3 euro.. but i didnt think it was worth it.,. you can get only 1 litle crosson, yogurt and coffe, so look around and you will find bunch of other places to have breakfast. Regarding noise--- our room was on backside , so i didnt hear street noise much,.but keep in mind about church's Bell.. its ring every single morning starting 5 am ..every hour. so get ear plugs..
The only complain i have.. is internet.. no wireless connection..but guy offered his computer if i needed to ckeck mail or something. so its worked out great.
So,, if i will come back to Florence i will most likely stay there again... so i recommend it.. have nice stay

Stayed: April 2008